Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Bridge CS6 will not open

Jun 24, 2012 12:04 PM

Tags: #photoshop #problem #help #new #windows_7 #trial #cs6 #adobe_bridge #giving_up

I intalled PS CS6 yesterday only to find that Btidge does not open. I've searched for answers since then and have yet to find any. I've reinstalled it just to see if that would make a difference, but it hasn't. I'm currently running Windows 7 64bit. Photoshop runs great, the only problem is with Bridge, and apparently I can't get any help from Adobe until tomorrow

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2012 12:13 PM   in reply to canadianego

HAve you reset the preferences?  Hold down Ctrl key and start Bridge.  You should get a reset window with 3 options.  Say yes to all 3.

A reinstall will not affect this file.

Also, try launching Bridge from Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 12:26 PM   in reply to canadianego

canadianego wrote:

Thanks but I've tried that. That seems to be the only solution I've found online, but nothing opens. I hold ctrl+click on Bridge 64bit in the start menu, then the hour glass appears for a couple of seconds, but nothing else happens.

Starting Bridge from Photoshop doesn't seem to work either. I get the hour glass then nothing... :/

If you tried the shortcut icon on desktop try the Bridge.exe in Programs.  Try both 32 bit and 64 bit programs.

Did you get this from Adobe?

If reset program does not work you are either doing it wrong or something wrong with program.  THe reset window should pop up in a few seconds.  You said you pressed and held the Crtl key so sounds like you are doing it correctly.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 12:33 PM   in reply to Curt Y

This Mac user sounds like he has same issue.  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1028201?tstart=0

He did not respond if he got it fixed.  Did you use default locations in Photoshop setup?

You said you reinstalled Bridge, I hope that means you uninstalled CS6 (PS and Bridge) and reinstalled.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 6:09 PM   in reply to canadianego

OK, played around with my copy a little.  If I go to Programs - - - - - Bridge.exe and hold ctrl and double click nothing happens.  Seems like I have to click it 3 times.  Make sure you minimize all windows as reset window may appear behind all of them.

I have a short cut Bridge icon on desktop with similar 3 click needs.  I also have the Bridge icon pinned to task bar.  There it only takes one click.

So bottom line you have to see the cursor go into a spinning blue circle for the command to take.

Did you note that the guy with the Mac got his to finally reset preferences and now it works.  Hope you have same success.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 7:16 PM   in reply to canadianego

Can you kindly enlighten me as to what on Earth that "Bridgeproxy.exe" file is on your screenshot?

Also, next time please use the camera icon in the Reply Editor Bar of the forum to embed an image in your posts.  That gosh darned "ImageShack" web site where you uploaded your nearly illegible screen shot just tried to install malware on my Mac.       

Adobe_forums_cameraicon.jpg

brokenbridge.gif

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 7:24 PM   in reply to canadianego

You may want to check this link out:

http://www.pcerrorfixtip.com/bridgeproxy.exe-415799.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 7:27 PM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

Can you kindly enlighten me as to what on Earth that "Bridgeproxy.exe" file is on your screenshot?

I do not know either, but I have the same thing on my file setup so guess it is OK.

Yes, I had to enlarge my screen many times to see the imageshack screen save.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 11:43 PM   in reply to canadianego

Hmmm... I've only used Bridge for Mac, and I have never seen anything resembling that "bridgeproxy" file with or without extensions.  Googling brought up many hits mentioning the fact that the file is unsigned, that it is susceptible to malware attacks and giving sundry instructions on how to test it for infections and how to disable it.  I don't know...

I would have freaked out if I had found it on my system.  

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 7:03 AM   in reply to station_two

Just did a check and Bridge CS5 also has bridgeproxy.  So nothing new, would not worry about it.  Even though it says it is an application with an .exe extension I can not open it.  It does nothing, cursor turns active for fraction of second and nothing..

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 10:27 AM   in reply to canadianego

Hope the works out.  They will probably start out with uninstalling and reinstalling. 

Let us know if they come up with a solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 11:02 AM   in reply to canadianego

Yes, if you have trial version you can't reinstall as you are allowed only one trial.

If you have tried all the multiple ways I have suggested to reset the preferences and none worked you are down to manually deleting the preference file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 2:56 PM   in reply to canadianego

I'm not saying to do it, but I've had several problems this week after installing CS6 on top of CS5. All problems have been with Bridge. Photoshop works fine. In the end I uninstalled CS5, but I was still getting Bridge problems. I have just deleted all CS5 files that were left on my system (the uninstall had not wiped them all for some reason) and it now seems to be working OK. I had to view system files in Windows Explorer in order to see all the program files to delete.

It should be safe to delete previous version files if you don't want to use the version again. But I could be wrong on that, although it seems to have worked for me. I'd check with Adobe about doing this - or you could backup the previous version folders to an external drive if you are worried about deleting them and are then unable to restore them, if needed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 5:07 PM   in reply to rob_ashcroft

robmarshall wrote:

I had to view system files in Windows Explorer in order to see all the program files to delete.

It should be safe to delete previous version files if you don't want to use the version again.

The first one is a monumentally bad idea.  Without a great deal of knowledge you will be unable to find all the files.  Uninstall should always be used.  Even uninstall does not get all the pieces and the Adobe Script Cleaner can be used to finish the job.

A properly installed PS should not interfere with another version.  They are all seperate programs.  In fact uninstalling a previous version can cause problems with the current version in some cases, mainly with file associations.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 11:42 PM   in reply to Curt Y

A properly installed PS should not interfere with another version.  They are all seperate programs.  In fact uninstalling a previous version can cause problems with the current version in some cases, mainly with file associations.

Curt - I DID have problems with file associations (as well as Bridge problems). I loaded CS6 without uninstalling CS5. I did that in case there were any problems with CS6. When I started getting the Bridge and file association problems I uninstalled CS5 using the Adobe uninstaller, but it didn't delete all folders/files and I assumed I was continuing to get my problems because of those CS5 files - so I deleted them, and it seems to have worked.

I would have thought the best way to install any new version is to completely wipe all previous versions so you don't have Photoshop at all on your machine. Then run the cleaner tool http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html and then do the install of the new version. The Adobe instructions tell you to uninstall and clean the Beta version of CS6, but I wasn't using the Beta, I just went from CS5 to CS6. I can't find anything about running the cleaner tool in such circumstances. None of this is explained very well by Adobe. To recap, I would have thought that if you don't need a previous version the best thing to do would be to...

1. Uninstall the old version using the Adobe uninstaller.

2. Run the cleaner tool, just in case it didn't delete everything.

3. Reboot your machine.

4. Download new version and install.

Is that right? And if it is, were does it actually say that on Adobe website? The only mention I can find relates to removing the Beta version.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 1:50 PM   in reply to rob_ashcroft

Yes, you are correct.  But the file association problem after uninstalling a previous version happens to only a small percentage of users, and until my campaign to fix this problem Adobe did not even acknowledge it occurred.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 3:25 PM   in reply to Curt Y

It's a direct consequence of the unresponsive, elephantine Adobe bureaucracy's decision to keep a separate installer team and moving it to India.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 3:47 PM   in reply to station_two

In addition, PS and Bridge engineers are not integrated either.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 11:31 PM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

It's a direct consequence of the unresponsive, elephantine Adobe bureaucracy's decision to keep a separate installer team and moving it to India.

LOL! That sounds like the RBS bank computer disaster last week, where they claimed this week is was all down to a single operative in India doing something wrong... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/935825 2/RBS-computer-failure-caused-by-inexperienced-operative-in-India.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 11:31 AM   in reply to canadianego

@ Canadianego - did you find a solution to this?  Because I'm having the identical problem as you.  I've tried the ctrl +click idea, both in the start menu and the shortcut - also on both versions (the 64bit and the 32bit) and have had no success.  I simply cannot open Bridge in any way shape or form!!! So if you found a workaround I'd be really grateful to know what it is .

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 12:50 PM   in reply to canadianego

Oh dear, that's not good is it?  I don't think I'll give up just yet - I'm hoping for a reply on a blog here about startup issues.  If I get nothing from there I don't know where I'll go next.  But at least I have CS2 still installed and I can use that version of Bridge - it doesn't open with PS CS6 of course, but it's one solution and at least I can use Photoshop itself, which I'm really pleased with.  If I do find the solution I'll let you know

Thanks for your response.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 2:23 PM   in reply to Ashtree25

Ashtree25,

You seemed to have joined this thread with same problem as OP, which is OK.  But do not know it is exact same to add advice.

What have you tried?  It is very unusal one can not the program.  Does it start to load of do nothing.  Right click on Bridge.exe and Open?  File should have 20,276kb.

Have you checked Task Manager in processes tab to see in another Bridge.exe is running in background?  Only one program can be open.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 2:09 AM   in reply to Ashtree25

Ashtree

I think this is correct... (famous last words)

If you load CS6 PS first then load CS2 Bridge and open a file, it should use CS6 PS. The default for my CS6 Bridge is CS6 64bit PS, but if I have CS6 32 bit loaded it will use that from Bridge if CS6 32bit is already loaded.

You can also change the system settings to automatically load a different PS version, if you wanted to, so that a file opened from Bridge would start a non-standard default version of PS.

But ideally, you need to find out what your original problem is caused by.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 2:36 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Hi Curt

The problem is that Bridge doesn't even start to load.  I've tried opening it from the start menu and from the shortcut on the task bar.  All I get is a rotating circle for about 2 seconds and then nothing.  If I try to launch it from within Photoshop (File, Browse in Bridge) the same thing happens, i.e. nothing!  If I go to File, Browse in Mini-Bridge, the panel opens at the bottom of the screen with a message "Bridge must be running to open files" and a button "Launch Bridge"  I click on this and get a message "Waiting for Bridge CS6..."  This message is eternal   Nothing further happens.  I've also tried right-clicking on Bridge in the start menu and the task bar and selecting open, but still nothing.

I haven't yet tried Task Manager - will try that in a mo, thanks!

Where would I find Bridge.exe?  I think the two locations I've mentioned are just short-cuts - one on the task bar and one in the programme list.

Thanks for your help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 2:39 PM   in reply to rob_ashcroft

Hi Rob

Thanks for your response and suggestions.  The thing is, I can't even get Bridge open in any way shape or form, so I can't open a file from Bridge.  What I've been doing is using my old CS2 Bridge and toggling between that and Photoshop.  CS2 will open a file straight into PS CS6, so that's a relief but I really would like to be able to use the mini-bridge.

Cheers.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 4:06 PM   in reply to Ashtree25

Many with this same situation have found that they have an uninstalled trial on the computer.  Bridge thinks it needs to have permission from this program before opening.  Uninstalled this results in Bridge working as normal.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 5:32 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Hi Curt

I've checked and no, I don't have any trial version on my pc - the only other version I have is CS2 (I have the entire creative suite in this version).  I am loathe to uninstall this because I am at least able to use that version of Bridge.  Incidentally, when I installed PS CS6 I notice it installed 2 versions of both photoshop and bridge - the standard one (I presume this is the 32bit?) and the 64bit.  Will this make a difference do you think? 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 8:40 AM   in reply to Ashtree25

I would definately NOT install CS2.  They should not conflict with each other.  And no the 32 and 64 bit version should also not conflict.

Trials conflict as they are competing applications.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points