Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Disable Character formatting controls

Jun 28, 2012 11:31 PM

I just wanted to control manual character formatting in InDesign CS4 and above. People gone ahead and change font using "character formatting palette" instead of the using character styles even I instructed best practising to use only character styles for various emphasis such as Italic, Bold, Bold Italic, Superscript, Subscript etc...

I really wanted to disable for character formatting in control panel & character shortcut Ctrl+T (Win) Cmd+T (Mac) alone in InDesign CS4 and above. But the character formatting option should work in Paragraph and Character styles i.e. we should be able to create if new styles required instead of applying manual character formatting. Much appreciated if any one helps on this big issue.

JA

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 29, 2012 12:06 AM   in reply to John J David

This sort of things cannot be done out of the box. You could hide the menu items in the View menu (and that *may* be enough for a certain class of users) but it won't help for those that memorized the hotkey to call up the panel.

Can't you circumvent the issue by running a script *afterwards* to replace all local formatting with character styles? There are a few of those floating around -- of course it'd need some adjusting to use your own character styles.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 29, 2012 4:59 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

To expand a bit on Jongware's suggestion about hiding the menu command to show the character panel you can also customize the Control panel to hide the character controls, and save this as a workspace, then edit the keyboard shortcuts to remove commands you don't want used. I don't recommend this, though. It's easily circumvented by anyone with ID expereince, and a much better approach is to stress to your people how important the use of styles is, and perhaps that their jobs depend on adopting good work habits.

One thing I WOULD recommend is that you add a set of standard character styles to ID as a default. You can make a master document someplace tha has your basic styles, then load those styles with nothing open and they will be available to all new documents, and add them to any templates as well. I think you'll find yo get much better acceptance of using styles if your people don't need to reinvent the wheel for every document they make.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points