Currently Being Moderated

Characters missing in PDF export on Windows

Jun 28, 2012 11:24 PM

Tags: #error #export #windows

I have a EPS logo placed in InDesign.

indesign.png

When I export to a PDF there are characters missing in the PDF:

exported_pdf.png

When I check the PDF's fonts it lists them as using a custom encoding.

When my collegue uses the same logo in InDesign on a Mac, all the characters are included in the PDF and the fonts are listed as using ANSII encoding.

If we open the logo in Illustrator and export it as an EPS, it works properly on both platforms. However, since we typically place this type of logo via scripting, we would like to be able to either have a fix for the bug or be able to identify the what types of logo files causes this issue so can automatically check the logo before using it. Is this a known problem?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 29, 2012 12:09 AM   in reply to Aaron1a

It's a bit hard too see -- is that font HelveticaNeue?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 12:24 AM   in reply to Aaron1a

Hmm .. (HelveticaNeue was a likely candidate for the source of your problem if, and only if, the file was made on a Mac -- its system version of HN is a bit ... messed up ... by Apple.)

Just for clarity, can you check with what software this EPS was made? Open it with a regular text editor, that info should be somewhere in the first lines, usually in a line that starts with "%%Creator:".

If you drop the EPS file on Distiller, is the resulting PDF okay?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 5:24 AM   in reply to Aaron1a

I wonder if the fonts were properly embedded in Illustrator when the first version was saved.

Resaving in Illustrator seems to work? I'd try saving as .ai rather then .eps as a matter of course, too.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points