• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paragraph & Character Styles SO SLOW!

Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2012 Jun 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I first heard that Adobe was going to put in paragraph and character styles in CS6 I thought, "Finally! Awesome!"

But, now that I have it and am using it I can't believe they have failed so hard in it. Every time I make a change in the style panel this little spinning dot wheel comes up and spins for at least a minute while think about making the change I made. This performance is unacceptable and needs to be addressed immediately. It even spins when I try to turn off the Preview checkbox.

I am using a Mac running 10.6.x and 8GB of memory. I have a lot of fonts installed, but that should NOT be an issue. It isn't with any other application.

Is there a way to speed things up?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2012 Jun 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Win7 64bit.

Tested on the report:

i7, 8GB RAM, SSD 120GB, Nvidia GT 230 (desktop PC)

i5, 8GB RAM, SSD 120GB, AMD Radeon HD6490M (notebook)

It seems that the increase of 4 gigabytes of RAM to 8GB with a slightly accelerated, but it still takes a long time. The more styles or layers, it is slower. Indeed, it takes too long. It should come out some updates.

Translated in Google transtalor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2012 Jun 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same story here. I love the feature in InDesign and was excited to see it ported to Photoshop as a timesaver for web mockups and other non-text-heavy projects. However it is NOT saving me ANY time. I am not sure but it seems the more places you have the style applied, the longer it takes.

I have a great machine running OSX 10.7.4 on a 1gb Radeon graphics card, 4ghz (8-virtual cores) CPU, and 12gb of RAM. I've got Photoshop working onto a separate scratch disc. This is very disappointing.

I guess I'll stop using it until they fix it.

Of course I am just running the trial version but it's supposed to run the same way isn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2012 Jun 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue on my Mac Pro which is much powerful machine than my Macbook Air. And surprisingly Air has no lag at all. Anyone found any workaround or help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 26, 2012 Jun 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jumpyone wrote:

I have a lot of fonts installed, but that should NOT be an issue. It isn't with any other application.

Is there a way to speed things up?

By "a lot of fonts", how many?  If more than a couple of hundred you might want to consider a font manager.  Too many fonts will slow things down I read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 27, 2012 Jun 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a font manager and also have close to a hundred fonts on my machine. My MBPro is as up to date as I can get it but still PS CS6 is so slow in responding to Type commands & Layer switch on/offs as well as other basic day to day commands that I have resorted to using CS5 again.

I don't see why CS6 should be so slow when the same process in CS5 takes half the time. Nothing has changed on my end - bar the CS6 update & Install.

Can't wait for an update to address this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 27, 2012 Jun 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely you still have a corrupt font, OS font cache, or a problem with the font manager.

CS6 fixed a lot of issues with fonts, but we still find corrupt fonts that cause problems, and OS font caches constantly cause problems (especially on MacOS).

You might want to try the steps in this article:  http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop-cs5.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2012 Jun 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have many fonts. Default on to win 7 and 50 more so. According to Article http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop-cs5.h tml I tried to check off and preview fonts and also to no avail. It still behaves the same way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 02, 2012 Jul 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Painfully slow for me too. Turned off all but system fonts, cleared cache. Still slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2012 Jul 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'm having the same issue. I do designs in photoshop and illustrator using the paragraph styles, it works just fine in illustrator but when I want to do the same in photoshop I can't make them nearly as fast or edit them as fast. A fix for this would be really nice I am going through the steps on the page Chris Cox left us but I'm pretty sure it's not going to fix this problem for me.

Either way hopefully something will happen witht his soon enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you've gone through all those steps and it remains slow - then we'll need to get more information to figure out what is happening on your system.

So far the type/paragrap/character style slowdowns have been tracable to bad fonts or corrupt OS font caches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

Why would this behavior happen in Photoshop, but not in Illustrator, InDesign or Fireworks? Do they not use the same type engine?

Corrupt fonts should be buggy in all software, not just select apps.

I have Mac OS X 10.6.8 with 8GB memory. I am using Linotype FontExplorer X, but I have tried disabling this as well and jsut using FontBook (yuck!).

Also, FontExplorer X tells me what fonts are corrupt. There are other performance issues as well. For example, when thumbnail previews are turned on in the layers panel, Photoshop will"sit and spin" for several seconds when nudging layers because it is apparently redrawing the thumbnails constantly. It never did this pre-CS6.

I have to say I am disappointed and if these issues are not fixed I am probably going to cancel my supscription to Creative Cloud and go back to CS5. Right now the features that do work are not worth a monthly fee while we "hope" that they get fixed.

PS. I seriously wish Adobe would re-release ATM Deluxe for Mac OS X. Leave it just as it was for OS 9, just make it work in OS X. I bet everyone that uses a Mac for design would buy it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those applications share some code, but not everything, and we use the engines differently.

No, corrupt fonts can cause odd problems that may show up in one application and not another.

But right now we can't reproduce the slowdowns without corrupt fonts or corrupt OS font caches.

If there is another problem with the character and paragraph palettes - we need more details.

Yes, there is a known problem when moving several layers -- turn off the layer thumbnails for now to avoid that slowdown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

If there is another problem with the character and paragraph palettes

You still working with those old, cumbersome palettes Chris?  I thought everything had been moved to new modern panels

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I haven't finished going through my fonts just yet but I do believe you are right Chris, I have another machine to mess around on and it was having no problems with the paragraph / character style, it was working just fine. So I'm sure that it is a corrupt font that font book couldn't find when I validated all of them. I may just make a back up and slowly add them in until it breaks again or something. Either way I'll atleast give the font name so you can add it to the list of fonts that are known to cause problems with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let us know what you find.

Also, (especially on MacOS) the OS font cache can get corrupted and return bad data -- make sure it gets cleared while you're testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I've tried all the solutions posted on the link you gave earlier Chris, but I haven't been able to resolve my problem.

I also tried CameraAnn's suggestion of Font Agent Pro to see if it could find any irregularities with any of my fonts. I actually ended up removing all of the fonts I installed that aren't system  and I still cannot get this working correctly. I wasn't able to clear my OS font cache with the terminal code on the link, but I asked my coworker who is a bit more savvy with terminal than me and I ended up using this

"sudo su" *entered Password* then "atsutil databases -remove"

which spat out:

Removing: /private/var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n00000c4000031/C/System

Removing: /private/var/folders/_v/gqnngbvj1xjf65_fb_jth23w0000gn/C/com.apple.FontRegistry

I'm not sure what else I can do to try and get this fixed. If anyone has some other suggestions or something for me to try I'm willing to give it a shot.

I've also opened up another psd file I made a while back before I started using the paragraph styles and I exprienced the same problem when I was trying to make a new paragraph style.

I really like this feature its just painful to use at the speed its moving right now for my photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm out of ideas as well.

Fonts are the only thing we've seen cause problems so far.

Not many people are seeing a problem with the styles - so there's some factor that we're missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2012 Jul 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to try a few more things but I'm not sure it'll fix my problem. For now I have previews off for my paragraph styles so I can make changes to them within under a minute. I think it has some kind of rendering problem because when preview isn't on I can change this that and the other quickly. But when its on it gives me the spinning dots.

Also I'm wondering if there's a limit to how much it can handle?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 10, 2012 Jul 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We tested with tens of thousands of fonts, and complex documents.  I don't think it's a simple numerical limit you're hitting.

I still think something is corrupt or interfering with normal operation somehow.

But to figure out the details, I need a system that shows the problem, or a reproduceable case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2012 Sep 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, same issue here, on a 27" iMac, Lion, 12GB ram, 1TB HD, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB, 1300 fonts installed.

I’ve tested with the font test script for Photoshop you provide and detected NO issues.

My issues are:

1. Character & paragraph styles is extremely slow. It gets quicker if I disable “preview”, but
  2. if I chose Basic Paragraph, to change the defaulf font, and disable preview, than PHP starts thinking fot a while
  3. I can’t write into the font field, I’m obliged to scroll the dropdown menu. It’ß not iso ith the other fields
  4. In font size field, clicking upper/lower arrow do not modify my numeric values
  5. text rendering mode option (crisp, strong etc) is missing.

More in general on PHP CS6 but not only

• I notice in general Photoshop CS6 to be much slower then 5.5 and this is totally disappointing (my machine is far from being crappy)
  • Photoshop and Dreamweaver have a focus problem, that means I click on an App window but it keeps blur (inactive | gray window bar), so I’m obliged to click on another software and go back to finally focus on my window. It happens quite systematically (60% of the times) when I leave the App with a dialog window open (like color or Character style). It must come from the non native UI you’ve implemented the Photoshop (in fact Dreamweaver and Flash already had this issue till CS4).

I really don’t get why we (the Professionals) should care about the interface color, while the speed is much more valuable; probably using a non standard UI uses huge amounts of CPU, without talking about the causal bugs you introduce, like the ones listed here.

Very bad, very sad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

point №6 : on Standard font “myriad font” appears all the time. I change it, close the file after some PHS thinking. Save the file, reopen Character styles and Myriad Pro is still there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

synthview wrote:

I notice in general Photoshop CS6 to be much slower then 5.5 and this is totally disappointing (my machine is far from being crappy)

That's always strange to hear, because for me (on PC) it's the opposite; Photoshop CS6 is faster than its predecessor by a little.

Out of curiosity, do you see the same slowness if you quit Bridge entirely?  Another Mac user has reported that clearing up the entire sluggishness issue for him.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2012 Sep 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel,

Win and Mac have different architectures, so they’re likely to have different issues.

I don’t run Bridge at all, and the mini bridge panel is off. How can I check if it is “entirely” off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2012 Sep 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing :

why photoshop loads fonts I have disabled in FontBook?

I think it should ignore them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines