Skip navigation
cdnwinds
Currently Being Moderated

Has anyone come up with a solution on why the red circle with question mark inside appears.

Mar 26, 2012 8:18 AM

Has a solution been brought

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2012 8:23 AM   in reply to cdnwinds

That's a missing link.

You'll have to do a lot better as far as the description of your problem and exact workflow if you need any more information than that.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to cdnwinds

The problem is that the links are missing. The fix is to find them.

It’s a very straightforward thing.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 12:42 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob, trying out InDesign CS 6 and InCopy 6 and I am getting the missing link for the assignments after they are finished. When I try to relink to them InDesign crashes. Updating the assignment doesn't do anything.

I have tried making a new document to see if it was something with that file but it does the same missing link/crash when relinking.

Any solution you can think of?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 5:22 AM   in reply to Michael_OSP

A more detailed description of your workflow would be a good start.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 10:10 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Hi Bob!

I am creating a InDesign CS6 template, then it is opened and saved as a publication. 4 assignments are made and empty text frames are assigned.

After I wrote the posting I did some testing and i think the problem may be that we are bringing in boilerplate that that I formatted in CS5.5 and saved as .rtf files. When I don't use any of it this text I do not get the crash when I need to update the missing links. Still not sure why the InDesign file doesn't know where the links are since they are in the Assignments/contents folder created with the assignments.

I saw on here your suggestiong of using text macros with InCopy so I am going to strip all the formatting from a few of those .rtf files, bring them into InCopy and reapply styles to them and save them as macros and see if that solves the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 5:31 AM   in reply to Michael_OSP

You can grab that text as a snippet and place that into InDesign but I still need more to go on as far as those missing links.

You are saving everything on a server, right? There's nothing magic about this...InDesign and InCopy users need full access to a network drive for this to work.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 6:13 AM   in reply to Michael_OSP

Could the problem be that you're trying to make a template that includes assignments and placeholder frames? Because that won't work ... sorry, would be nice if it could.

You will get a missing assignment icon if you move the InDesign file, duplicate it, or rename it via a Save As. That's because assignments are actually attributes of the original file -- they are NOT linked -- and they don't stick with it when the original file is modified (other than normal "Save's"). The time to create assignments is when the live "final" file (even if it's filled with empty frames) has been created for that specific publication/issue, and it will not be moved or renamed during the production cycle.

So if you're doing what I'm guessing ...  if you start w/an InDesign file, create assignments and assign empty text frames, and save that as a template  ... then you will always end up with "missing" assignments. That's because a template file, when double-clicked, creates an Untitled copy of itself.

"I am getting the missing link for the assignments after they are finished."  If an assignment -- an ICMA file, not the linked stories, the ICML files -- shows the red "missing" icons in the assignments panel, the only solution is to recreate them. They are not linked to the layout so there is nothing to relink.

The fix is to select each missign Assignment in the Assignments panel and choose Change Location. It's a bizarre name for the actual function which is  to "recreate the Assignment." Be careful of the linked ICML files that go along with that layout (and those assignments).

You will also run into problems if you try to re-use the same linked ICML files for multiple issues. Best to start with a "normal" INDD file, then export Assignments/linked stories for that one issue.  When you're done, unlink all the stories and delete the Assignments, turning it back into a normal INDD file.  That normal file is safe to duplicate and use as a starting point for the next issue.

AM

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 9:30 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

I think the bad .rtf files that I am placing into the assigned text frames is the culprit. When I don't use that text I don't get the missing links.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 10:05 PM   in reply to AnneMarie Concepcion

AnneMarie, great to hear from you!

I open the InDesign template, save it as a file on our server, make the assignments, and save again. As i mentioned to Bob the problem seems to be the .rtf files that I am using as boilerplate text ("text restores"). If I don't use these files I don't get the missing links when I open the file with InDesign.

I ideally would love to save this text as InCopy text macros but I don't see a way to have all these macros on each PC. There is nothing like in the paragraph styles where I can load all styles.

Any ideas? When this job is finally moved from XyVision to InDesign there will be over 600 of these "text restores."

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points