Skip navigation
Giorgio_68
Currently Being Moderated

Library edits not updating HTML Code

Jun 27, 2012 8:35 PM

Hi Guys

I have a library file which controls my side_nav_bar for my entire site.

The LBI file is located on the root directory of my website - same place where all my html files are located.

When I make an edit to my library file, it asks me if I wish to update the files that are linked to it.

I say yes, and let it do it's thing, but then I notice that the HTML code has not been updated to the linked html pages.

I have to manually deleted the original library code from the HTML pages, and then drag and drop the library file from my assets folder to force it to link.

Obviously doing this completely defuncts the purpose of having library files.

Have I missed a step ? can someone please assist.

Cheers

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 28, 2012 4:31 AM   in reply to Giorgio_68

The LBI file is located on the root directory of my website - same place where all my html files are located.

All Library files must be located in the Library folder below the root of the site.  Use DW's Files panel to create that folder and move the file from its current location into that newly created Library folder.

The only way a Library item could be located directly in the root of your site would be if you moved it from its required location.  Avoid doing this as you will disrupt its function as you have discovered.

If I am misinterpreting your comments, then please post back with a correction.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 1:07 AM   in reply to Giorgio_68

Hi Giorgio,

Everytime a Library is updated/modified, on saving the Library Dreamweaver pops up dialog "Update Library Items" and clicking update it updates all files linked to this library.

If you are still facing the issue even after placing the library in root\library path and linking it to HTML files by drag and drop from Assets panel, kindly report the bug using the link https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform.

Regards,

Yalpi Shiva Prasad

Adobe Dreamweaver Team

Adobe Systems Incorporated

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 4:58 AM   in reply to Giorgio_68

I saved and DW said it updated the HTML file.

Are you sure it was the right file?  Was this file closed when you did the update?  Try again with the file open and see if it's changed that way.

What is your platform/OS?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 5:59 AM   in reply to Giorgio_68

What is the name of your Hard drive?  Are you seeing this happen in every site or just this one?

Sometimes an unusual punctuation character in the name of a hard drive can interfere with DW's ability to do such things as update template child pages and library items.  So can you copy the path to the local root folder from your site definition and paste it here?

If repoprt the error to adobe, how long will it take for you guys to  respond?

I am needing an immediate fix.

Even simple fixes take quite a while to roll out given the extent to which the fixed application must be tested.  To speed the process, you must start with a set of steps that would allow an engineer (or anyone else) to reproduce your symptoms.  So far, we are not at that point, since for me (and pretty much everyone else here) Library items seem to be working as expected.  I believe what we have to do is to figure out what it is about *your* system that is preventing that from happening.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 6:15 AM   in reply to Giorgio_68

Try removing the "!" from the folder named "!original website" - maybe replace it with "_".  Then adjust your site definition.  Then restart DW, and try the Library update again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 6:31 AM   in reply to Giorgio_68

And did that help?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 1:09 AM   in reply to Giorgio_68

Hello George,

Following is a sample code when you refer a Library document within a HTML body. The Library path in the embedded code is relative to the site root and on changing it to an absolute path Dreamweaver will not be able to consider this document for update whenever changes are saved in the .lbi document.

<html>

<head>

</head>

<body><!-- #BeginLibraryItem "library/Library.lbi" -->

<p>&lt;h1&gt;Hello World&lt;/h1&gt;</p>

<!-- #EndLibraryItem --></body>

</html>

I could not reproduce the issue in Dreamweaver CS6 on Mac OSX 10.7.4. Please check if your document is referring to the .lib file using a relative path from root. If you are still facing the issue, please share your Email address, I can setup a meeting to go through the issue you are facing.

Reagrds,

Yalpi Shiva Prasad

Adobe Dreamweaver Team.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 5:56 AM   in reply to Giorgio_68

Thank you, George.

I will send you a meeting invite.

Regards,

Yalpi Shiva Prasad

Adobe Dreamweaver Team

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 11:18 PM   in reply to Giorgio_68

Sure George.

I will send an invite for today.

Regards,

Yalpi Shiva Prasad

Adobe Dreamweaver Team

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 1:08 PM   in reply to Yalpi Shiva Prasad

I'm having this same issue with a library item not updating my html pages in CS6. What was the fix?

Regards,

Leslie

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 7:35 AM   in reply to Leslie Sainte

Hello Leslie,

The issue was intermittent and a backlog was logged for the same.

Can you please share the below information:

1. Platform and Dreamweaver Version

2. Harddrive path to the files.

3. Site setup export. This will help to check if the Site configuration is corrupted.

3. Is the issue consistently reproducible and/or specific to a file?

Also if you can please share Library and the linked files(test files), it would help us to validate the scenario.

You can share the files to yprasad_@_adobe_._com(Exclude the underscores, they are included to avoid spam bots).

Regards,

Yalpi Shiva Prasad

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 2:44 AM   in reply to Yalpi Shiva Prasad

Hi Yalpi

We are having the same issue and we're using Dreamweaver 6, version 12.0 Build 5808. We're trying to update our mainnav.lbi which is included on each page on our site - 1932 pages. However when updating the file, Dreamweaver post a message saying 'update two pages' with a list of those pages...where it should be saying update '1932' pages. Is this a confirmed bug in Dreamweaver 6?

<!-- #BeginLibraryItem "/library/mainnav.lbi" --> 

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2013 7:14 PM   in reply to tripc0der

Having same problem. I have one libary file that when I change content of that library file itself and run update, the files that contain that library file do not update. However, I have another library file that does update all the files. So, changes to one library file do not update content and changes to another libary file do update.

Clue...

As a test, I created a new html page and inserted the problem library file content. When I make a change to that problem library file, the new test page updates. So for some reason the problem libary file is not updating existing pages but does update a newly created test page. Any thoughts?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 5:34 AM   in reply to discoforme

Hello,

Can you please check if you have detached the Library from the document for which you are facing the problem.

• If yes, you will have to link the library again to all the required documents.
    • If no, can you please check if the library item path displayed in the document code is correct.

Library Example.PNG

If the problem still persists, can you please share a sample document and the library with which you are facing the issue. My Email ID is "yprasad_@_adobe_._com_" (please ignore the underscores in the ID, they are added to avoid Spam bots picking up the email id).

Regards,

Yalpi Shiva Prasad

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 9:06 AM   in reply to Yalpi Shiva Prasad

Yalpi,

I was able to determine the problem. 

There was a <div id="body 3"> tag in the document itself as well as well as a <div id="body 3"> tag in the Libary. In other words, two <div id="body 3"> tags...one in the document body just above the LIbary and one in the Libary itself. When I removed the duplicate div tag in the body content, all my pages updated properly when I ran Library update.

This was obviously an error on my part but I don't think this type of error should keep Libary from updating. The page worked fine with the duplicate div tags but Library would not update because of it.

Thank you..

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points