Skip navigation
alisonnnnn
Currently Being Moderated

Multiple Tables of Contents

Jun 25, 2012 5:44 AM

Tags: #toc #bookmark_toc

I'm working on a publication that has a table of contents, a list of figures and a list of tables.

I don't seem to be able to get the entries 'List of figures' and 'List of tables' to be included in the table of contents. Can anyone help with this?

I also want the figure and table titles to be included as entries under 'List of figures' and a 'List of tables' in the interactive PDF I generate.

(I'm using ID 5.5)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 28, 2012 12:02 PM   in reply to alisonnnnn

Are you creating the lists of figures and tables before the main TOC? They won't be included if they aren't on a page. And do their titles have a paragraph style applied that's inthe included list for the TOC?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 1:32 PM   in reply to alisonnnnn

I would probably add non-printing frames with the titles of the tables that aren't appearing so you can still update the tables themselves when things change. Those non-printing headings can be included in your regular TOC.

Can you show us some screen shot of what these tables look like in ID and the result in Acrobat?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 6:23 PM   in reply to alisonnnnn

What am I missing? They look the same to me.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 6:30 AM   in reply to alisonnnnn

OK, so I think you are saying the problem is in the presntation of ht elist of bookmarks on the right side of the screen capture there. Is that right?

I really know nothing about PDF bookmarks other than you can include them when making a TOC, and even less about what happens in Interactive PDF. YOu might want to ask about this over in the Acrobat forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 6:38 AM   in reply to alisonnnnn

Now that I understand it's the PDF bookmarks you're having a problem with, I agree with Peter.

There's no concept of nested TOCs when creating PDF bookmarks. You'll need to create the subbookmarks for the secondary TOCs within Acrobat manually, I'm afraid.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points