Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What am I doing wrong?

Jun 23, 2012 1:02 PM

Not sure if I am expecting too much but I am not happy with the quality of the DVD.  I have a Sony CX160 which I have set to standard quality. Things like focus and exposure are set to auto, I record to a HDSD card.When I copy from the SD card it is stored on my hard drive as a .MPG file.  I have the preset in Premier set to Hard Disk , wide screen and 720x480.  I load the scenes into the project , trim off what I do not want then drag the clip to the timeline.  I have a black 855x480 jpg file at the beginning and the end of the project , one 855x480 jpg that is a photo and one 855x480 jpg that is   a green background overlay that i use Videomerge with.  I use disolves between each scene.   When done editting I burn by going to share , and DVD with the quality set to best image.  That said I need to know if I am setting everything correctly.  The final quality seems the same as my old Digital 8 stuff that I had to put back on tape then copy to DVD using a stand alobe DVD burner.  Maybe I am just expecting too much.  Any ideas would be great  Thank You  Hal

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 23, 2012 2:55 PM   in reply to imhal

It sounds like you are doing things correctly.

Unfortunately, the MPEG footage has already been compressed once, but the Project Preset that you chose, should keep it as good, as is possible. When you Share>DVD, PrE will have to Transcode to MPEG-2 DVD, so you have a second compression going on.

Now, if you are viewing that DVD on a computer monitor, or an HD TV, it will not look ALL that great, as it is SD on an HD device. If you have either an up-rezzing DVD, or newer BD player attached to the HD TV, then things WILL look better, as those up-rezzing players have special chips that do an amazing job going from SD source to HD display - no where near as good as a BD Project, but better than DVD-Video to an SD TV, like in the old days.

You will most likely see that double-compression where there is faster, off-axis movement, and either the subject, or the camera. There can also be blockiness and artifacts from that compression.

Now, one question: what is the Duration of your Timeline? That determines how high a Bit-Rate, PrE can use, to fit the material onto a DVD.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 4:40 PM   in reply to imhal

Great.

There are a lot of settings nowadays, and they depend on the exact equipment. One might have settings on the player, and also on the TV. Finding the perfect combo, can be lots of trial and error. What works on my gear, might not be worth a hoot on yours.

The up-rezzed DVD is probably as good, as it will get.

Maybe because I have been watching DVD's on a large, albeit older CRT TV for years, and now have replaced all of those with HD TV's and either up-rezzing DVD, or BD players, I still am sort of amazed how good the image from those older DVD's is now. Still, obviously below BD, but considering that they are SD, and some 4:3, even before 16:9 became popular, they do look better. Great? No, but better.

When you DO hit that lottery, I'd go with a full HD camera, and a BD burner, and be prepared for the improvement.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 2:56 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Sorry to interupt. I am editing a video from a VHS which I dubbed to dvd and put on my computer.  It was converted to DV format.  The quality isn't good already because of all the conversions but when I burn it to Dvd the titles that I created on adobe Premiere elements 10 are very blurry. Any ideas why? and also I have read on some forums of folks exporting their projects to files then burning them with other dvd authorizing software, is that better than doing it in house in Premiere if so why? fyi my project is about 1 hr long.

thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 3:51 PM   in reply to johnjv24

The DVD specs. do not treat Type well. The MPEG-2 DV CODEC is just not the best, but for DVD-Video, it is all we have. The best that I can suggest is:

1. Use Menu Sets (or create them), that match your Project perfectly, so that there is no Scaling, up, or down, to deal with.
    2. See this ARTICLE, to get the Type looking as good, as it can.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - There was another article/blog on Title/Menu Text, but it disappeared about two years ago. I now wish that I had copied that to a PDF, as I would host it. It was the best, that I have ever seen.

PPS - You are correct that having the MPEG-2 DV intermediate did not help the quality of the VHS material. It is like a FAX of a FAX, and each generation degrades things noticieably.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 6:47 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Thanks so much for the response! also had the question about exporting to project to file, is it better to have another software do the burning to dvd or is adobe premiere's dvd burning good in itself?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 9:33 PM   in reply to johnjv24

That just depends.

PrE can do basic authoring, and usually burning.

To go beyond that, then having another program do the authoring, is not a bad thing.

Also, though PrE can Burn to Disc, there is nothing wrong by choosing Burn to Folder, and then using the great, free utility, ImgBurn, to do the physical burn. As it allows a slower burn speed, there is a bonus to doing things that way.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 9:39 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

oh okay. what format is good to export for dvd burning?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 9:56 PM   in reply to johnjv24

Do you know a different format I can use instead of DV, that will get me better results with the titles. Bc I had no problem with the titles in iMovie but I think the codec was H.264 when I exported. by the way I am using a macbook pro mid-2009 3.06ghz intel core 2 duo 8GB 500GB SATA Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 7:27 AM   in reply to johnjv24

If you are going to DVD-Video, then you have no chioice - MPEG-2 DV is the only format allowed for DVD-Video.

If you are going to a BD (Blu-ray Disc), then you have a choice: H.264, or HD-MPEG-2, though either must be 100% BD-compliant with all respects, such as allowable Bit-Rate.

For the ultimate results, one should shoot footage, that matches the DVD-Video, or BD (more choices) 100%, so that there is no up-rezzing, or down-rezzing going on. That is as good as it gets.

As to the output format/CODEC, if one is doing the full authoring in PrE, that is not an issue. PrE will choose the MPEG-2 DV format/CODEC, and will choose the H.264 BD format/CODEC (I do not believe that the user has the option to choose HD-MPEG-2 - please correct, if I got those two backward for PrE). Those choices will be automatic, within PrE.

Now, if one is going to another authoring program, the choice will depend on the program. As a for instance, I use Adobe Encore (only available with PrPro, as of CS3), so for DVD-Video, I would usually just choose DV-AVI, as my Export/Share format/CODEC, and Import that into Encore, letting it choose the specs. of the MPEG-2 DV necessary automatically, or I can chose those specs. myself. With some other authoring programs, one needs to do the Export/Share to MPEG-2 DV, and make the correct choices in Export/Share, then Import those files into the authoring program. It just depends on the authoring program.

Are you going to DVD-Video, or to BD?

Are you using another authoring program?

If so, which one?

Are you down-rezzing, or up-rezzing your Source Footage?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 11:11 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I am burning to DVD-Video, and haven't decided on authorizing software but I might consider

Aimersoft dvd creator. And what you mean by up rezzing or down rezzing?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 11:17 AM   in reply to johnjv24

Down-rezzing is when one starts with HD material, say AVCHD 1920 x 1080, but shrink that down to DVD-Video, like NTSC 720 x 480.

Up-rezzing is when one starts with SD DV material, such as NTSC 720 x 480, and Scales it up to 1920 x 1080 to put onto a BD.

I do not know the authoring software, that you mention, but you will need to determine exactly what file specs. it will require. Just a guess on my part, but probably DV-MPEG-2.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 11:23 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Okay I got ya. So what your saying is make sure the authoring software is able to import whatever I decide to export from Pre.Elem? Correct

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to johnjv24

Not exactly. What I am saying is to find out what the specs. are, for the files that the authoring program can Import and work with, then use THAT as your Export/Share specs.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 2:05 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Okay I understand. thanks for the knowledge!! Appreciiate it!

Sent from my LG phone

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 10:20 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Is adobe premiere elements 10 compatible with the ADVC300 a/d video converter or the ADVC110???

Re: What am I doing wrong?

created by Bill Hunt in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

Not exactly. What I am saying is to find out what the specs. are, for the files that the authoring program can Import and work with, then use THAT as your Export/Share specs.

Good luck,

Hunt

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Re: What am I doing wrong?

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at Re: What am I doing wrong?. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 3:43 AM   in reply to johnjv24

johnjv24 wrote:

Is adobe premiere elements 10 compatible with the ADVC300 a/d video converter or the ADVC110???

Yes it is. It is what I use all the time. I do prefer though to capture the footage with WinDV or Exsate DV Capture Live. I find PRE capture sensitive to noise on the tape, causing it to stop capture. Both of those other capture programs can capture to DV-AVI Type 2 - which is perfect for PRE.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 6:28 AM   in reply to nealeh

Oh okay perfect. But I have a macbook pro. I dont think the one's you suggested are compatible with mac, correct?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 7:17 AM   in reply to johnjv24

You might go to http://www.grassvalley.com/products/converters and see what they say about Mac

Since these are external devices, they SHOULD work... but go read

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 2:00 PM   in reply to johnjv24

Yes. It's Mac compatible and includes the same software as the Windows version. But unless you want to mess around with the settings* you don't need to use it. Connect your analog device to the ADVC, the ADVC to your computer via FireWire and you're good to go.

* all the settings can also be adjusted via dip-switch settings

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 6:08 PM   in reply to nealeh

Which software are you referring to?

Sent from my LG phone

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 6:13 PM   in reply to nealeh

Nvm I got you ha, what other settings does it have???

Sent from my LG phone

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 6:27 AM   in reply to johnjv24

The software is 'Picture Controller'. It comes in both Windows and Mac versions. You can download the ADVC300 Manual from here.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers