Skip navigation
Laer2
Currently Being Moderated

Is there a limited range for the Offset (Turbulence) attribute?

Jun 29, 2012 8:18 AM

Tags: #range #offset #turbulent_displacement

Hi.  I'm animating the Offset (Turbulence) attribute of the Turbulent Displacement effect, having it increase over time through a 4 minute animation, and I'm finding that some of my layers end up not animating either at the start or the end of the animation, and I suspect it may be because the value is going outside of some limited range the attribute may have (on the negative and positive sides).

So, I'm wondering if the Offset (Turbulence) attribute (for both the Turbulent Displacement effect, and all other effects that have that attribute) does have a limited range it can't go beyond.

What is really strange is that before I render it, I do a preview, and it seemed fine throughout... but in the final render, some layers will stop (again, either at the start or end), but be animating through the rest of the animation.

One other theory (although one I really can't see being valid) is that it's a memory thing?... only because the preview shows it fine, but the full res, high quality render has it stopping.

I'm running CS5.5 on an i7 Win7 with 12 gigs of RAM.

I'm going to continue trying various starting points to see if I can get it to stay within the range (assuming there IS a limited range).

Any theories, info, suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 29, 2012 8:52 AM   in reply to Laer2

All values in AE have a limit - or any software on that planet, for that matter. This is the same issue as explained here, meaning there is only so many discrete values you can express with double-precision integers or even floats. So yes, eventually things will just stop, depending on what you actually do. The result would be consistent and predictable, though, so verify the numerical readouts, not just the visual result.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 9:03 AM   in reply to Laer2

If the results of a render are different than a ram preview you've got a cache problem. Try purging all caches before the render. Also, you should test to see if the ram preview is different with open GL turned off or on in the Comp panel. Make sure that you are not using OPEN GL for rendering (preference setting)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 11:04 AM   in reply to Laer2

Your syntax is sloppy. Conditionals' functions belong into sway braces and you need to provide a secondary fallback, if the condition is not met. In your case it simply takes time as the only variable/function and that condition is of course never met. That is also the problem for your subtraction - you are subtracting 20000 seconds, not frames. A code that at least works could look like that, though the actual result is pretty nonsensical and won't solve your issue, since there is no relation to the motion after you have evaluated the conditional:

temp = -2500 + time*300;

if (temp>25000)

{temp = time-framesToTime(20000);}

else

{temp=value[0];}

[temp,0]

Therefore something that is 100% watertight would have to be something like this:

if (time*300 > framesToTime(25000))

{temp = time-framesToTime(20000);}

else

{temp=time;}

out=temp*300;

[out,0]

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)