Skip navigation
This discussion is locked
Liggliluff
Currently Being Moderated

Expression for which rendering queue number the composition has when rendering

Jul 1, 2012 1:28 PM

I have a Text layer which Source Text should display the number that the composition has when in the Rendering queue. If I put the same composition with this expression 3 times and render it, each results should have the numbers 1, 2 and 3 displayed in the file. I have no idea if this is possible.

Otherwise putting up a variable and raise it each time a rendering has been completed automatically could work too, or actually even better as I can continue from wherever I want and reset it on demand. I have no experience with this at all.

I am using After Effects CS5 and I have some experience with expressions and programming languages in general.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 28, 2012 3:30 PM   in reply to Liggliluff

I don't believe any such link to Render Queue items exists in the Expression language.  For a start, a composition can exist multiple times within the Render Queue, so how would such a parameter be returned to the expression?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 10:00 PM   in reply to Liggliluff

Expressions cannot refer to the render cue. There's no data link. You can use scripting to add a composition to the render cue and pass some data to a text layer in the composition but you can't do it with an expression.

I'd post the question on the Adobe After Effects Scripting forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 3:55 AM   in reply to Liggliluff

As Rick said, only scripts can handle this.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 8:57 AM   in reply to Mylenium

Google or AE help is your friend here: After Effects Scripting Guide

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 6:46 AM   in reply to Liggliluff

You did get an answer. No one that's read your post knows of a script to point you to. We did point you to the forums and the scripting guide. You'll have to figure out how to write a script yourself.

It's based on Java, so read up on that. The extended script tool kit is fairly easy to use if you're familiar with scripting at all. The scripting guide is fairly easy to use and all of the AE specific language is included.

Sorry, the rest is up to you. I'd be happy to write a script for you but, because I'm very busy, and yours is the only request, you'll have to get in line or offer to pay me for my time.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 7:02 AM   in reply to Liggliluff

Whoa buddy. I've put years into helping and you're kicking me out. I'm the #3 contributor on this forum. Mylenium is the #1, Dan Ebberts is one of the best on scripting in the world and the #1 helper on that forum.

You asked for a guide, we gave you one.

Nobody has a script they can give you. You're not entitled to anything but common courtesy from anyone on this forum. If you want to get started Look at this tutorial to get started. It is the number one result from my Google search.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 7:14 AM   in reply to Liggliluff

You are rude. When I have a solution for you, I'll probably still give it, because I'm not.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 12:17 AM   in reply to Rick Gerard

For the record, Rick is one of the most knowledgeable members of this or ANY After Effects forum, and also one of the most generous in terms of time and information he provides users here.  His answer was, unfortunately, right on target - he provided you with a link to the After Effects Scripting Guide, which is the obvious place to start.

As you have your answer, this thread is now closed.  Feel free to post specific questions about scripting in the After Effects Scripting sub-forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 1:31 PM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

Thanks, Andrew.

I have deleted one of the posts on this thread, since it was nothing but a personal attack.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points