Skip navigation
chomachomachoma
Currently Being Moderated

Screen Flicker on Preview and Source Monitors

Jun 27, 2012 3:55 PM

Tags: #performance #premier_pro #playback_issues #source_monitor #hardware_performance #screen_playback

I have recently built a new PC and am now experiencing an odd problem with my new setup. I am getting a very fast flicker on my preview and source monitors when playing video. Audio is unaffected. The video in the monitors just flickers on playback. Video still exports fine without the flicker.

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with any software or project settings since I experience the issue with old projects that I created on my previous setup (which ran fine). I've also experienced the problem in both CS5.5 and the trial of CS6.

My guess is that it's a hardware issue. I'm using the onboard graphics and I think it's just not cutting it. However, I'd like hear back from some others that may have experienced this or know what the problem could indeed be before I spend a few hundred bucks on a good video card. I also know my PSU is pretty weak at only 400W, but I would really doubt that's causing the problem as it's seemed to be sufficient thus far.

Here's my setup. Everything should be sufficient to run but let me know if you see any issues.

Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit, Service Pack 1)

Processor:Intel i7-2700K @ 3.5GHz
Mobo:Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
RAM:8BG (6.4 dedicated to premiere)
Power:400 W

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 27, 2012 5:07 PM   in reply to chomachomachoma

Well you really need more memory and a dedicated graphics card (without a dedicated graphics card with its own video RAM you do not meet Adobe's minimum system requirements) .  To install a dedicated graphics card you would have to upgrade your power supply.  This is only the hardware side.  You have provided no data on the source format/codecs/resolution etc to help isolate your flicker problem.  Also you give us no clues on your disk system

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 4:09 PM   in reply to chomachomachoma

I think should you spend the couple hundred on a dedicated graphics card even if it isn't the cause of your flicker.  Something like the following would serve you well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130662

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 3:23 PM   in reply to chomachomachoma

Your underpowered system may get by if you edit SD DV material, but is way out of its league when editing AVCHD or Red or DSLR material.

Without further info to go on, you have the following problems:

• Not enough memory
    • No dedicated nVidia video card
    • Insufficient PSU
    • No hard disks

About the only thing good about your system is the CPU, but there it ends. Everything else needs to be improved. How much depends on your source material, your workflow, your destination format and all those data were severely missing.

Edited for content (personal comments)

Message was edited by: Jerry Klaimon

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 3:21 PM   in reply to chomachomachoma

Edited for content (personal comments)

Message was edited by: Jerry Klaimon

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 4:11 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

is way out of its league when editing AVCHD or Red or DSLR material.

Hogwash (except for RED).  That system will handle compressed HD just fine.  Yes, there's room for improvement, but I handle HD just fine on a lesser system

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 7:04 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim, we have no idea of the disk system on this computer!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 9:23 PM   in reply to Bill Gehrke

That's why Harm's comment might apply to RED, but even a single disk computer is enough for any compressed HD format.

Like I said, I run it just fine on a lesser system.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points