Skip navigation

How do I uninstall everything I don't want?

Jun 16, 2012 3:56 PM

Latest reply: Gavin Farrington, Jun 29, 2012 6:13 PM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 20, 2012 8:28 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

Check out this parallel link of last week where an Adobe employee is looking into feasibilty of selective install.  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1022904?tstart=60

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 11:54 AM   in reply to Curt Y

I'm surprised, but I'll be even more surprised if Adobe provides step-by-step instructions for any user to follow.  Stranger things have happened though

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 6:13 PM   in reply to acresofgreen

Hey Mike.  Just wanted to pop my head up and say that I completely understand the "I want to install only the bits I need, and leave the rest off" mentality.  Like most everyone here, I don't have the time to pursue something like this, but I admire that you're interested and willing to try.  I'd be curious to know if you ever make any headway.

There are tools that can open up installer packages and will allow you to customize the bits inside.  I used to use one way back in my IT days to prep software to be mass distributed from a server out to hundreds of client machines.  That was a while ago though, and now I'm trying to remember what it was called...  It may have been this?

http://www.advancedinstaller.com/

If not, something similar.  It would basically open up .msi packages and allow you to add/subtract/modify every file copy, every registry edit, every setting of the install process.  I even used it to build completely custom installs from scratch on a few occasions.  (An .msi file that installs five unrelated apps at once, and modifies the desktop image?  Done!)

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points