Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Clips unplayable after using effects - Very choppy playback?

Jun 29, 2012 10:35 PM

Tags: #choppy_playback #playback_speed #playback_issue

So, I have Premier Pro CS6 (from MS CS6)

And I was disappointed that my computer couldn't seem to handle editing videos in it. Playback when applying any sort of effects was terrible and choppy.

SO - I spent hundreds of dollars and upgraded my computer with hardward specifically recommened for Premier Pro by Adobe.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

32gb Ram

Nvidia GTX 570 1280mb with CUDA cores (Usable by premier)

AMD Phenom II 3.40ghz processor

My computer is very powerful now, but I still have the same problem. I cannot see any video when playing back my project after applying effects. The sound plays ok, but the video playback only changes images maybe every 5-8 seconds and the video lags behind the sound furtther and futher the longer the video plays.

If I export the video and render it, the exported video plays smoothly, but this makes editing and post production impossible.

This is very frustrating. Can anyone shed light on what's going on? I have tried the following:

Ensured that my Nvidia control panel is set to Single Monitor Performance mode

I have ensured that the renderer is using my GPU exceleration

I'm not quite sure where else to look. Help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 29, 2012 10:47 PM   in reply to aikembisd

Some one soon enough will ask you about your complete hardware specs and setup.

May as well be me.!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 12:30 AM   in reply to aikembisd

Couple of remaining questions, just to get started:

1. Which Phenom?
    2. Disk setup?
    3. Source material from what camera?
    4. Indexing and compression turned off?
    5. 3-rd party cards?
    6. Pagefile location and size?
    7. Free space on each of your disks?
    8. Scratch allocation used?
    9. Superfluous services turned off?
    10. How many processes are running?
    11. Anti-virus, anti whatever running and which?
    12. Any codecs or codec packs installed? Which?
    13. Which effects cause problems?
    14. Have you tuuned your system?

Let's start with this, then depending on your answers, we can ask more info.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 3:47 AM   in reply to aikembisd

Troy,

Thanks for this info. That helps a lot.

I would summarize your system as Phenom II X4 (which is not as powerful as you think) with two hard disks. Since you are unaware about indexing and compression, go to Disk Management and right click on each of your disks, select properties and make sure that both tick boxes at the bottom of the screen are unticked.

Go to TaskManager and select processes from all users. That will show you the number of processes running. It should be less than 50 on a properly tuned system. By tuning I mean removing MSN, games, sidebar and other Windows crap from your system, setting a static page file, disabling services in line with the BlackViper list, etc. See Adobe Forums: Guide for installing and tuning a Vista... which also applies to Win7.

Neat and the other effects you mention are very demanding and are not accelerated. They will take a long time to render, especially on that CPU, because AMD systems lilke yours are at least 5 times slower than fast Intel systems and the codec you are using is AVCHD, which is a difficult codec for any system. There is no way you can get real time playback on this system without rendering first with the effects you have applied.

It will definitely help your performance if you were to add a third hard disk. You have to keep in mind that SATA is a half duplex connection, so reads and writes have to happen consecutively, not at the same time. A single disk where media, projects, media cache and previews are located will be a real bottleneck. See Adobe Forums: Generic Guideline for Disk Setup

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 7:35 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

I'm in a similar boat and hoping you guys can provide some insight.  Here's my system setup:

• Pemiere Pro CS6 (6.0.3)
    • Dell Studio XPS 9000/435t
    • Windows 7 64bit
    • Intel i7 920
    • Geforce GTX 660
    • 12 gb ram (with 10 usable)
    • 3 HDD set up
    • - 256 GB SSD (OS, Program Files),
    • - 3 TB Seagate Barracuda (data files) with two partitions (2TB and ~800GB)
    • - 2 TB WD Caviar Black (scratch, media cache)

For my footage, I'm using a 5d shot at 24fps.  When creating a project, I'm using a preset for 1080p24 and add my footage into the project using the New Item option. At this point, the video plays back with no problem. 

My next step is to apply a video effect, in this case I'm using Magic Bullet Cosmo. Once added, the video becomes choppy and the video is no longer in sync.  I've been able to make lots of improvements with the advice of this thread and many others, but it still isn't as smooth as without the effect.  I understand that this may be a fairly intensive effect but it seems like I should be able to get this working with my current set up.

A couple of things I've tried:

• Enable Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (which had to be done manually)
    • Switch all of my scratch and media cache to the Seagate (slower drive) and place the media on the WD drive (which seemed to help some).
    • Disabled all uncessary programs, virus protection, etc
    • Verified I have nearly 500GB free on each drive (except OS drive)
    • Indexing and compression turned off
    • No third party cards

I started taking a look at Resource Manager to see if that could shed any light. When the video starts to stutter, my CPU is usually around 40%, the memory is around 45%, but the storage is peaking out on the drive that houses the media (at least based on the Queue Length graph which shows it hitting .05).  The response time hovers around 6 and the MB/s fluctuates between 6 and 10.  I'm still not clear if this is pointing to the storage as the bottleneck.  If so, would a RAID setup solve the problem? 

The other thing that I still plan on doing is upgrading the 475W PSU on my system to the Corsair AX860 (purchased, just not installed). Not sure if this will have any impact though. The other option is to drop $4k on a Maingear workstation, which I'm trying to avoid.

Another thing I'm not clear about, on the Disk Setup Guidelines, he recommends Previews to be on the same drive as the cache and scratch, but I haven't seen an option for that. Where is this set?  Anything else I can do differently?  Hopefully this is enough information for you guys.

-Mark

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 8:44 AM   in reply to smackmeister101

Anyone have any ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 9:02 AM   in reply to smackmeister101

Hey smackmeister101,

It sounds like it may be an issue with your Magic Bullet plug-in. You may want to check with them. Here is the link: http://www.redgiant.com/support/

Thanks,
    Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 12:44 PM   in reply to smackmeister101

would a RAID setup solve the problem? 

No.  Magic Bullet effects are notoriously slow.  There's likely little you can do here but render.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points