• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When will Lightroom 4 get an update for the new Macbook Pro with Retina Display?

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2012 Jun 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ordered a new macbook pro with retina display, and I know that photoshop is already compatible with it, 90% of my work is done in Lightroom. So I was wondering when or if there will be an update for the new high resolution display?

Thanks

Eric

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 12, 2012 Nov 12, 2012

The Lightroom 4.3 RC offers HiDPI (Retina) support in the Develop module.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most likely scenario, in my opinion, is at the next dot release.  Dot releases come out roughly every three months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3 month can be long.

May be we can get a new beta version in 3-4 weeks.

JO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing's being discussed over on the PS forum, and apparently PS will also present some problems with such a high res display as well: the main issue being raised is that the user interface components will be very small. One of the engineers stated that they'll be working on it, but it won't be resolved immediately. I'm sure Adobe will soon be on top of it though. That said, they still only support a max preview size of 2048 pixels in LR, and higher res monitors have been around for some time now...

M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2012 Jun 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anybody have already one of the new MacBook Pros with Retina Display and can share a screen shot and video, how LR looks like on the display?

Thanks

JO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 19, 2012 Jun 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took delivery of my RMBP last week on Thursday and ingested my first shoot Saturday. I can report that LR previews are significantly compromised at the moment (sorry no time to produce screenshots, others will shortly I'm sure), so much so that critical image selection is almost impossible. For comparison I purchased and installed the latest version of Aperture and the difference is enormous. Aperture shows the full potential of the new display. I can't fault Adobe for this issue, Apple's pre-launch secrecy would seem to be the culprit. I only hope Adobe produces updates for LR and Photoshop quickly to give image previews parity with Aperture. As someone who has deliberately stuck with LR3.6  pending other performance improvements in LR4, I'd say the chances of the "fix" being back ported to LR3.6 are probably slim to none. Pity.

Commentary. This is so typical for technology today, one step forward, at least one step backward. I needed to replace a four-year-old MBP and with a four-week assignment in France upcoming I pulled the trigger on the RMBP. Pluses. Thinner and lighter - any reduction is good for air travel, 16GB RAM (the old machine had 6GB), SSD drive, immediate USB 3 throughput improvement while portable Thunderbolt solutions (card readers and non-raid drive solutions) still mature AND an awesome screen. Unfortunately all negated, or at least temporarily hamstrung by the preview rendering issue. Bottom line I have a couple of days to get comfortable with Aperture for editing on the road. Hopefully by the time I'm back in August and the real editing begins there will be a patch. Then, like it or not I'll have to deal with the worklfow throughput challenges of LR4 and 25,000 images.

We really are all guinea pigs these days, nothing is fully baked anymore. We pay our money and then start our second jobs as beta testers and QA engineers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2012 Jun 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VeloDramatic:

If you go in to the prefrence setting on your new MBP, you can choose different resolution sttings. Have you tried viewing LR with while selecting different resolution settings? Perhaps this will help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 20, 2012 Jun 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flashbulb65,

I experimented with those alternative resolutions, the one that shows the most screen real estate helps a little but doesn't come close to fixing the problem... unfortunately. Lloyd Chambers at macperformanceguide.com now has his RMBP and should stay on top of the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2012 Jun 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Especially if dealing with that many images, you would be much better off using Photo Mechanic for previews, picks/rejects, tagging, and culling. I can't believe I've gone years without using it. Realtime 1:1 preview rendering and imports faster than I can cull. Amazing stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 30, 2012 Jun 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are looking for a temporary way to see the embedded JPEG previews in a NEF file (for example) all you need to do is select the files of interest in the Finder and press the space bar.  These are good enough to do the culling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2012 Jul 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VeloDramatic wrote:

I can't fault Adobe for this issue, Apple's pre-launch secrecy would seem to be the culprit.

HiDPI has been around within XCode since JULI 2011:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7/14/

So if Adobe had really wanted, they could have easily given us proper Retina support since their launches of CS6 and LR4, just in time with the introduction of the rMBP.

That said, I've hardly got any complaints with LR and Photoshop running under 2880x1800 trick mode. I don't even see any issues of a limitation to 2048px in preview. Just render full size previews, done. Editing images at that resolution is nothing short a revelation for me. You can see detail, texture _and_ the image as a whole at the same time, without a coarse display grid interfering. Judging image sharpness and finding blemishes - in the context of the whole - is just that much easier now.

Ideal for me would be the interface scaled as if it was a 1920x1200 screen resolution, which would give both more screen real estate  and massively improved fidelity compared to the original 1440x900, with perfectly acceptable usability at the same time. Yes I know there is the "more space" option in the display settings, but that only leads to massive performance problems and artifacts since LR then just runs at 1920x1200, Quartz does the rest at a whopping 3840x2400 and than everything is scaled back to 2880x1800.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2012 Jun 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw this week-end the new Macbook Pro at Apple store ..

Impressive to see picture soo sharp !!!

Please vote it on Photoshop.com ! Thanks

http://t.co/Mj0UFLkm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2012 Jul 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using a free script ("Change Resolution) to run os x on the rMBP at its native 2880x1800 resolution when editing photos - LR4 is surprisingly useful, and the largest 2048px LR preview perfectly fits in the interface without scaling at this resolution. Here's a screenshot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ue63htrwxlkjtmu/Lightroom%204%20Screenshot%20at%20Native%202880x1800%20res...

I have good eyes and I use a lot of shortcut keys when editing so I haven't had any workflow slowdowns. Plus, the out-of-box color and tonal accuracy is really quite good. It's a tad compressed in the blacks but it's the best stock screen for photo editing I've ever seen. Unless I'm writing a bunch of emails I'm keeping it at this super-high, unscaled res most of the time. Until the apps get updated for this display it's really the only useful way to use it without the interfaces and photos looking like crap.

chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2012 Jul 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the high 2880x1800 resolution with the script.

The menues and adjustement tools are just too small. 😞

Adobe needs to update Lightroom and provide us at least a beta version for testing with the Retina MBP.

Please vote it on Photoshop.com ! Thanks

http://t.co/Mj0UFLkm

JO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2012 Jul 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will also jump the boat soon, would be great if LR could provide a patch for its loyal and generally, happy users!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2012 Jul 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep in mind there are other issues that will be ahead in priority than this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's too bad that this might be a low priority for Adobe. Certainly for owners of the Retina display this probably would be their most important issue, before some other little bug fix or new feature.

Adobe does a good job of maintaining LR on the Mac, which I'm guessing has a smaller user base than the Windows version of LR.

I wish LR had better integration with the OS/Mac apps in things like Mail and iTunes to make LR easier for non-technical users. There's plugins and work arounds to make those things work, but it's not slick and Apple'y like sticking with Apple only apps. This issue with the Retina display is yet another uncomfortable issue that makes people think about switching to Aperture.

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fubalumateli wrote:

That's too bad that this might be a low priority for Adobe.

No one said it's a low priority.  Geoff said that other issues will be ahead in priority, but that doesn't mean they're ignoring people with new retina machines.  Adobe haven't made an announcement, but rest assured they will be working on it and they'll push it out the door as soon as they can.  They generally have to wait for these machines and the details like everyone else, whereas Apple obviously had a significant head start.  Hang in there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, I didn't mean (or say) "ignore". To qualify my comment "low priority" I meant the priority of the Retina display issue in respect to what ever else Geoff had in mind that would be a higher priority, a point I think I clearly went on to explain.

I certainly will hang in here. I've tried Aperture and I missed certain features Lightroom has that I wouldn't want to/can't live without, and I didn't like the UI.

My personal interest in this is my current MBP is dying and I need to get a new one. I want the Retina display model for the flash memory. If the Retina display was a stand alone option I might choose the flash memory without the Retina display for this issue and I suspect there's others out there as well.

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is it about the new Retina display that doesn’t allow you to use LR?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's funny, some commenters have made it seem like LR is currently unusable because of how bad photos look in certain views. I'm definitely going for the Retina display and will wait for LR to get updated.

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk Flohr wrote:

It isn't optimized yet.

What does that mean? The URL doesn’t clear that up one bit.

This affects just LR or all Adobe (and other) applications?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom hasn't had interface elements upgraded yet but it runs and according to Matt K, it works and looks fine.

Ergo, there is nothing to prevent it's running. Or was your question rhetorical?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk Flohr wrote:

Lightroom hasn't had interface elements upgraded yet but it runs and according to Matt K, it works and looks fine.

Ergo, there is nothing to prevent it's running. Or was your question rhetorical?

Not at all, I’m actually thinking of purchasing such a unit as my ‘main machine’ instead of my older MacPro (the new MacPro’s are not impressive). And while I’d use this machine 80% of the time hooked up to an NEC SpectraView, I would use it on location with the Retina of course.

But this still isn’t clear. LR’s interface elements haven’t be upgraded meaning what? Yet Matt K says it looks awesome. And yet others here are pleading for Adobe to ‘fix something’, the fix is what I don’t understand. Nor how this would affect my use of LR on the native display. And what about other applications? What’s up with Photoshop? It appears to be ‘less awesome’ than LR according to Matt. Why? I see in the article he doesn’t have it set for the same darkness as LR, is that the cause? The article added more confusion than clarity. Are you saying Rikk that everything is fine based on this piece and the others are asking for a fix that isn’t really necessary, or there is some issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines