Skip navigation
Niumalu
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom 4

Jun 29, 2012 1:53 PM

Is there a LR/4 book for dummies? This is my first stab at LR and my files are a mess. I should have done more reading before I jumped into such a complicated program. I sure miss Bridge which was discontinued!!

Can I uninstall Lightroom untill I understand what is going on??

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 29, 2012 2:22 PM   in reply to Niumalu

Moving this discussion to the Photoshop Lightroom forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 2:57 PM   in reply to Niumalu

Lots of free tutorials are available go to the link below

http://tv.adobe.com/product/lightroom/

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 4:24 PM   in reply to Niumalu

Scott Kelby, The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book for Digital Photographers, ISBN 13:978-0-321-81958-1 and ISBN 10:0-321-81958-0, or Martin Evening, The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book, ISBN 13:978-0-321-81959-8 and ISBN 10:0-321-81959-

I have both.  I find Kelby easier to read, Evening a little more complete in the corners of the product but really dry.  If a newb was going to buy just one, I'd suggest Kelby.  Both are available as eBooks from Peachpit Press, or as paper books from any number of places.

Chuck

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 4:32 PM   in reply to Niumalu

I'd suggest the video tutorials for a first line of "attack". Books are great when you already know what and where to look for what you need to know.

The video tutorials have one great advantage over books: you see on your screen what the instructor does, where he moves the mouse, where he clicks.

Here are some more links:

http://tv.adobe.com/product/lightroom/

http://tv.adobe.com/show/adobe-evangelists-julieanne-kost/

http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-lightroom-3/

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 4:34 PM   in reply to web-weaver

And don't give up!  Once you learn LR, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.  Bridge is good for a few limited things, but LR is sooooo much more.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 1:54 PM   in reply to Niumalu

As an "intermediate beginner" myself and a newbie to photo databases, I scoured Kelby's LR3 book but found lots of holes, particularly about managing catalogues and troubleshooting. There was also lots of advice and information that didn't quite work for my own photographic purposes. You have to give some thought to your own organizational needs. 

I recommend reading this Adobe Lightroom forum page by page, going back 15 or 20 pages, and clicking on everything you might find helpful, even for earlier versions of LR. Bookmark the ones that are especially useful and refer back to them. Also use the search function here. (This forum is invaluable and my thanks to everyone here who takes the time to help!) 

And stick with it, don't give up. Work with it a little every day until it starts to sink in. It's like learning a language. Eventually the lightbulb will go on as to how it all works. 

René

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 2:27 PM   in reply to sunhotmoon

sunhotmoon wrote:

As an "intermediate beginner" myself and a newbie to photo databases, I scoured Kelby's LR3 book but found lots of holes, particularly about managing catalogues and troubleshooting. There was also lots of advice and information that didn't quite work for my own photographic purposes. You have to give some thought to your own organizational needs.

Kelby doesn't cover those aspects of catalogs, His "workflow" is a very simple one, designed for a professional photographer who does discrete "shoots". Therefore, his organizing needs are simple ... name of the photo shoot, placed in the folder name, and pretty much that's it. For those of us who don't do discrete photo shoots like Kelby does, his book is worthless as far as a guide to organizing. It's really a guide to the mechanics of using organizing tools in Lightroom; he will teach you the mechanics of adding a keyword to a photo, but he doesn't teach why you would do it. He doesn't ever explain the benefits of a catalog (database), and how they are different than using folders. You never learn that keywords play a key role in the organizing that you should be doing if your photography is something other than discrete photo shoots. You never get the big picture from Kelby. If you want a better book to learn organizing (the big picture, and the strategies and tactics), try The DAM Book.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points