Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Basic import questions

Jun 30, 2012 12:58 PM

1. Is there any reason to not import all photos when you have large folders full of images? My thought is that if you do not want images to show up you just wouldn't keyword them. It seems like this would be a lot easier than unchecking images before import. Is there a reason to not import everything?

2. LR thinks certain photos of mine are duplicates, even though I'm not so sure of this. Is there a way to override on an individual image basis the images that I want imported even though LR thinks they are duplicates?

Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 30, 2012 1:48 PM   in reply to mediafred

1. You can import everything and mark for deletion the ones you don't want. Shortcut 'x'. Then you can use Ctrl/Cmd Delete to rid yourself of them. I find that easiest; some other people don't.

2. To be considered a duplicate, the photo has to have the same name, size, and date/time taken. When LR says you've got a duplicate, it's best to believe it. No there isn't a way to override that on an individual basis.

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 2:35 PM   in reply to mediafred

Hal is correct.

They are moved to the Trash.

Personally I import everything and delete hardly any. Storage is cheap and sometimes looking back I see something different in an image, some of my "rejects" have become "works of art"!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 3:09 PM   in reply to mediafred

You can use a collection for this or you can just add a colour label to the last image you worked on as a marker.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 5:08 PM   in reply to mediafred

Create a smart collection with criteria of Keywords are empty.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points