Skip navigation
quincunc
Currently Being Moderated

Adding Ambient Noise?

Jun 29, 2012 7:36 PM

I've been using Soundtrack Pro for a little over six years, for a podcast, and am thinking of switching to Audition. One of the actions I perform most often with STP is adding on top of both of my two recorded channels a tiny clip of ambient noise during each transition between myself and my guest. STP makes this easy: I take a several second chunk of "silence" recorded before the interview, save it as "ambient noise" and then use whatever fraction of a second I need for each individual transition. Later I do a noise reduction that includes some of the same noise pattern so what I've added mostly disappears but some remains. (I know, I know, this is incredibly labor intensive and there are probably easier ways to achieve the same thing but I like the way it works in terms of overall noise reduction while maintaining a kind of invisible continuity between speakers.)

Long story short, I don't see an "ambient noise" feature in Audition and am wondering how many steps it would take to do this?

All suggestions most welcome!

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 30, 2012 12:36 AM   in reply to quincunc

I would just record some 'ambient noise' and keep it a stock clip that you would re-use and add it in wherever you wanted in the multitrack view

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 1:16 AM   in reply to quincunc

Yeah, that's what I tend to do when I need atmos on an edit--just make a track (loop it if necessary) then faded it in and out as necessary in multitrack.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 1:19 AM   in reply to Bob Howes

Use side chaining to do that automatically now.

d.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 1:38 AM   in reply to _durin_

_durin_ wrote:

Use side chaining to do that automatically now.

d.
    Handy to know - but you better have left the office and be sending that from somewhere deep in the redwoods

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 1:11 PM   in reply to SuiteSpot

Absolutely!  Durin is collecting "atmos" from the Redwoods!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 4:09 PM   in reply to quincunc

Open your noise file, select all of it and Copy to the clipboard.

In your interview track Select the portion where the gap is so that it is shown overlaid in white. Right click on the selected portion and select Mix paste from the drop down menu. You can then select the relative levels of the overlapping audio and the original. If you leave Crossfade selected make sure that it is set to a suitable time. Click OK.

Keep doing that for each gap. It takes much longer to explain than do. If you want to speed up the operation you can just press F3 each time after the first to repeat the Mix Paste. Or you can even record a Favorite to have available on a keyboard short cut.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 1, 2012 3:26 AM   in reply to ryclark

ryclark wrote:

Open your noise file, select all of it and Copy to the clipboard.

Since there are several clipboards available, there's nothing to stop you putting a clip of ambience in one at the start of a session and having it available continuously - without needing a file of it open at all. All operations are as ryclark describes - you just have to select the appropriate clipboard first. GIves you a lot more freedom with other edits you might want to do...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points