Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Jerky playback in Source Monitor (vs. Windows Media Player) ...

Mar 15, 2012 7:58 AM

I am a new user of CS5.5.   I've read the FAQ and other posts and understand that my machine is underpowered.

That said, why do my HD clips play smoothly with Windows Media Player or Quicktime, but play jerky in the PP Source Monitor?  What is it about PP's source monitor player that causes clips to choke when they can play back smoothly on the same computer using other software?   Are there any other workarounds other than a faster machine I can do in the meantime until I upgrade my hardware?

For example, I see the "render entire work area" option under the Sequence menu as noted above - is there any way to do something similar to get PP to (pre) render the clips in the Project Panel for follow up editing in the Source Monitor window?

What about batch encoding to an uncompressed format and then editing the resultant clips?  I would be concerned about loss of quality here though.  Being new to PP, not even sure this question makes any sense in the first place.

Thanks!

Jon

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 15, 2012 9:27 AM   in reply to joneisele

A player is not an editor. An editor requires much more horsepower, which you admitted you don't have. No workarounds, converting to uncompressed adds a further burden to the system in terms of disk I/O and memory.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 11:10 AM   in reply to joneisele

One thing that can give smoother playback is to reduce the playback resolution in the Source Monitor.

Here's a video that shows this feature:

http://www.video2brain.com/en/videos-5367.htm

The series that that video is a part of includes a lot of tips for getting good performance even without the beefiest hardware.

But, as Harm says, there are limits to workarounds when the hardware is not very powerful.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 11:20 AM   in reply to joneisele

Jon, as great as Premiere is in many other aspects, it has terrible playback on the GUI itself. I have a 6 core 3.2 Ghz CPU with 16 GB of RAM and a Nvidia GTX570 with 480 CUDA cores. And in Premiere CS6, playback on the GUI, source or monitor window, sucks. The only way to make it slightly better is to reduce to half size, which Premiere doesn't do as well as most other NLEs. If you want smooth playback at full quality you will never get it on the GUI itself, but you can get a Matrox MXO2 Mini connected to a TV set or professional monitor and that will give you perfect smooth playback, much better than what you could get inside the GUI.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 3:15 PM   in reply to Sebasvideo

I disagree with the above post.

I have excellent playback in the GUI from whatever I throw at it.

Full rez in all monitors.

(Win 7 24GB, Quadro FX 3800 etc..)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 4:02 PM   in reply to shooternz

shooternz wrote:

I have excellent playback in the GUI from whatever I throw at it.

Full rez in all monitors.

(Win 7 24GB, Quadro FX 3800 etc..)

Perhaps the Quadro makes a difference in GUI playback? I know that Premiere is terrible at playback within its GUI because I had an ATI 4850HD, and both Edius and Vegas played full res. video without trouble, perhaps an ocassional hiccup or two, but smooth for the most part. Premiere CS6 was simply unusable. When I replaced that card with the GTX570, 480 CUDA cores and everything, the playback is still terrible, even if it offers real time playback of the GPU accelerated effects like levels, 3 way CC, etc. And the output through the Matrox MXO2 at 1080i plays perfectly fine on the TV set, while at the same time it stutters inside the GUI, showing about 15 fps.

So perhaps the Quadro has something that makes GUI playback better, but the whole Quadro thing just confuses the hell out of me. You have consumer Nvidia based cards with close to 500 CUDA cores, and then you have far more expensive Quadro cards with less than half the CUDA cores. What's the deal with that? Are these Quadro a rip-off, or do other specs in them that are higher than the consumer versions mean that the number of CUDA cores is irrelevant?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 4:35 PM   in reply to Sebasvideo

I think that you are relating your own playback experience and one that may not be particular to all users or fair as a general statement about PPRO

I know that Premiere is terrible at playback within its GUI because I had an ATI 4850HD, and both Edius and Vegas played full res. video without trouble, perhaps an ocassional hiccup or two, but smooth for the most part. Premiere CS6 was simply unusable.

Good news for you...its not designed that way and a great playback experience is possible.

Bad news is...you have to work out why you are not getting it!

(It has nothing to do with Quadro Cards because plenty of users with other cards have no issue either.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 5:19 PM   in reply to Sebasvideo

in Premiere CS6, playback on the GUI, source or monitor window, sucks.

That's not normal.  You may want to troubleshoot it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 8:10 PM   in reply to shooternz

shooternz wrote:

I think that you are relating your own playback experience and one that may not be particular to all users or fair as a general statement about PPRO

Good news for you...its not designed that way and a great playback experience is possible.

Bad news is...you have to work out why you are not getting it!

(It has nothing to do with Quadro Cards because plenty of users with other cards have no issue either.)

Well, I'm just going by what I've seen in the past few years. When Premiere CS4 came out I had an Intel Quad Core 2.66 Ghz, 8 GB of RAM, Intel motherboard and an Nvidia 7950GT card. Playback was fine in Vegas, skipped frames in Premiere. Then on my current machine, an AMD 1090T 6 cores @3.2 Ghz, G.Skill 16 GB of RAM, a top of the line Gigabyte motherboard, and at first an ATI Radeon 4850HD, same thing, Vegas played fine, Edius much better (but nothing beats Edius in speed), and Premiere CS5 stuttered like crazy. Now, same machine but with an eVGA GTX570 instead of the ATI, Windows 7 x64, fresh install just one day old. Premiere CS6 does the same thing. If it's my machine, I have no idea what could it be, but the fact that it did the same on two different cards on this machine, and that Premiere CS4 used to do the same in a totally different machine, plus the fact that two other NLEs didn't have that issue, tells me Premiere has a problem at displaying video inside the GUI.

Maybe it could be that most people don't see stutter because they leave the playback quality in automatic? I'm sure I don't have any stutter if I do that, but it looks terrible. Some frames look fine, others look like the pixels got drunk and had a night out with crack whores Well, maybe that's an exaggeration, but you get the point.

If anyone has a suggestion I'd be happy to try it. It's not a terrible issue for me, I always edit with the TV set on and that is fed by the Matrox MXO2 Mini with perfect quality.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 8:15 PM   in reply to Sebasvideo

Well ...I would take a look at the way your video drivers are set up and also how they are managing Premiere (Video).

Its even weirder that you have experienced PB issues on more than one system and with varying hardware.

My experience with the same scenario and many versions of Premiere..is entirely the opposite.  No PB issues in GUI  at all. (smooth as hot butter)

Do you have colleagues using Premiere that have same issues as you?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 8:57 PM   in reply to Sebasvideo

people don't see stutter because they leave the playback quality in automatic?

No, even at full res, the display of video inside of PP should be smooth as silk, and is for most folks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 9:02 PM   in reply to shooternz

shooternz wrote:

Well ...I would take a look at the way your video drivers are set up and also how they are managing Premiere (Video).

My experience with the same scenario and many versions of Premiere..is entirely the opposite.  No PB issues in GUI  at all. (smooth as hot butter)

I always use the latest video drivers available from the chipset manufacturer, ATI/AMD or Nvidia. In this case, I installed the latest drivers from Nvidia that were there last night, which were from 5/22 I believe. Windows 7 doesn't have a driver for this card on the install disc, and I don't download the Windows update that has the driver, so the first driver is the one from Nvidia's website.

You say in your case it plays perfectly smooth, but do you have it set on full quality and full size? And is it 1080-59.94i footage?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 9:04 PM   in reply to Sebasvideo

In my case, yes to all.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 9:45 PM   in reply to Sebasvideo

You say in your case it plays perfectly smooth, but do you have it set on full quality and full size? And is it 1080-59.94i footage?

Yes and No!

Yes...Perfectly smooth and responsive (full quality, full size) ...and No...because I dont have to deal with NTSC weirdness such as 1080-59.94i

If it works for Jim and most others...it should be fine for you.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points