Skip navigation
jennwilbur13
Currently Being Moderated

LR4 RAW to save to a LR3 RAW - D800

Jul 1, 2012 5:38 AM

Tags: #file #export #lr3 #lightroom4

Hi, I just second shot my first wedding so stupidly I didn't realized how is the primary going to access my files since they haven't upgraded to LR4 yet. Is there a way I may convert from my LR4 to have her read in her LR3 files so she may edit them?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 1, 2012 5:51 AM   in reply to jennwilbur13

Save as DNG, Jenn.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 6:25 AM   in reply to jennwilbur13

Yes, you can save as DNG ... though keep in mind that any development settings you may have applied using pv2012 in Lr 4, may not show up accurately in Lr3 which can only use pv2010 ...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 6:32 AM   in reply to Butch_M

I'm thinking in terms of simply converting the Raw files to DNG, not processing them first.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 6:39 AM   in reply to Keith_Reeder

Sorry Keith, I didn't mean to intrude on your territory ... sorry I offered some additional information ... I'll now excuse myself from the discussion as not to encroach upon your domain.

My sincere apologies to all concerned ... I should know my place .... please disregard my earlier input it was grossly out of place and should not have been shared.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 3:40 PM   in reply to Butch_M

Butch_M wrote:

Sorry Keith, I didn't mean to intrude on your territory ... sorry I offered some additional information ... I'll now excuse myself from the discussion as not to encroach upon your domain.

Oh, stop being such a bloody drama queen, Butch - I've no idea where that petulant hissy-fit came from. My post was nothing more than a bit of clarification for Jenn, not a damning indictment of your worth...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 4:09 PM   in reply to jennwilbur13

DNG conversion *must* be done, so Lr3 can handle the D800 camera model - edits or none...

To make sure *most* edits carry over:

- Use PV2010 only.

- save XMP before sending.

Things that will *not* carry over:

* CA/defringing.

Unless somebody (e.g. cppasm) writes a "legacy xmp enhancer" - you're stuck with that loss: might be worth mentioning to your client(s). If this is unacceptable, consider using Lr3 to process those photos - at least hit CA/defringing before shipping...

Any others? (trshaner - you listening?)

To paraphrase Brett N. of Adobe: "Lightroom was not designed to produce xmp usable by older versions of Lightroom, and it's not recommended". Some people like you may continue doing it despite Brett's "warning", just be aware of what's missing if you do.

R

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 4:09 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Rob,

I'm assuming that Jenn simply wants to get some "Raw-equivalent" DNGs to the primary shooter - what she has written suggests that - in which case there'd be no need (and in fact it may not be desirable) for edits to carry over: I'm actually assuming there won't be any edits, just the need to get raw (with a small "r") files over to the main shooter for her to convert and process.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 4:11 PM   in reply to Keith_Reeder

If so, then forget everything I said in my previous post .

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 7:17 AM   in reply to Keith_Reeder

Keith ... you are confused ... my last response was not a "petulant hissy-fit" ... but pure scarcasm ...

In fact, my response needed no clarification whatsoever. It was neither confusing or convoluted ... it was purely offered as a precaution should the OP, or any forum user who may reference this particualr thread in the future may want to consider concerning backwards compatibility. While I do agree in the this instance, Jenn, may not be concerned about processing images for her specific situation prior to passing them off to the primary ... but Keith, don't you think that she or any other Lightroom user may want to take what I (and Rob) offered into consideration in the future for images they may have already been processed in Lr4 and want to share those images with Lr 3 users? Thus far over 375 users have visited this thread ... are you quite sure all of them benefited from your unnecessary clarification and what Rob and I shared was confusing or inaccurate. I'm sure I am very wrong and you will further "clarify" the error in my thinking and prove your superiorty ...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points