I create pdf files by dropping EPS files on Distiller.
The EPS files are created in Illustrator CS2 and CS4.
Distiller v9 is used, with joboption PressOptimized 600DPI, which came with an older version of Distiller, but I've used it without a problem in Distiller 9 for a long time.
This always worked fine for me, but lately, sometimes, after a pdf is created, it has this pdf/x-1a complience button in the panel on the left side of the pdf.
This seems to happen consistently for some eps files. In others the button does not appear.
How does this happen and how can I prevent it from happening?
I'm working in Windows.
Not sure why this would be a problem?
But check your PDF job options. Distiller can be set up to mark a PDF as PDF/X if it matches certain things, and to continue otherwise to make a non-PDF/X file.
It might be a problem because the data we deliver back to the client is not completely consistent: some pdfs have the button, others don't.
I checked the settings in Distiller, but PDF/X was set to none.
I'm one step further, now, because I discovered that our client provided the EPS files in one of two ways. When I open some test EPS files as plain text, the ones that resulted in pdfs with the "PDF/X button", had "PDF/X1.3" somewhere in the text of the document, surrounded by a lot of (seemingly) random characters. The ones that did not get the "PDF/X button" did not have that text. So probably you can insert postscript code into your EPS which will automatically add specific stuff to your final pdf output, regardless which job option in Distiller you use.
I ponder -
Why are they supplying .eps files from Illustrator? Native .ai files would be more stable and flexible than the wrapped postscript...
If this started in Illustrator, why cannot the PDF simply be saved from Illy?
There's got to be more to this than what is stated..."somebody creates a file in Illy, and rather than save as pdf they supply me an eps, which is distilled, than returned to them"
it's our client's decision to use eps instead of ai.
Indeed there is more to it thatn just providing the eps to us, we distill and return back. Between providing to us and delivering back, we translate the file into several languages. The localized version is distilled to pdf, and both eps and pdf are returned to them. We use Distiller to export to pdf, because saving eps as pdf results in a much bigger file. The eps files themselves are between 20 and 50 Mb and saving as pdf, results in pdf files that are a little smaller than that, but not very much. When using Distiller, the pdfs are only around 1.5 Mb.
But this is getting sidetracked.
Given the fact that some operator at the client's side inserted the code that seems to be responsible for adding the "PDF/X button", into some eps files, we decided that we will just accept this fact and deliver pdfs with our without the button, as they appear of not.