Skip navigation
ziggy8686
Currently Being Moderated

Back up question

Jun 30, 2012 6:40 AM

I have the most recent version of Elements. I did my first back up and wanted to do another backup  but onl.y with what has been added since. It ask me to select the folder where the backup is stored and where I want the new stuff added. When I try to add the new backup to where the existing one is it does not allow me to do that. I thought I could have once folder with the full back up and keep adding to the same folder each time with the new pictures (incremental).

Am I doing something wrong?

Steven

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,852 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jun 30, 2012 6:51 AM   in reply to ziggy8686

It's designed so that you use an new disk or a new folder on an external hard drive.

If you ever have to restore you start with the last incremental back-up and elements will prompt you to work backwards through the disks or folders and ultimately to the full back-up.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 2, 2012 5:24 AM   in reply to 99jon

So do you create a new folder for each incremental backup after the full one was done?

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,852 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jul 2, 2012 5:34 AM   in reply to wallstreet123456@yahoo.co

Yes if using an external hard drive.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 2, 2012 5:56 AM   in reply to wallstreet123456@yahoo.co

wallstreet123456@yahoo.co wrote:

So do you create a new folder for each incremental backup after the full one was done?

Yes,

and that is because each backup consists in a folder containing a renamed copy of  each of the items of your catalog, B0000000.xxx, B0000001.xxx and so on, as well as a file named catalog.buc (a copy of your database file) and a file named backup.tly which contains the info to recreate each file in the right place during the restore. If you try to write a second backup in the same folder, you'll overwrite the data in the first one.

Keep in mind that a backup is a whole folder (a catalog is also a whole folder including a database file and various files and sub-folders, but no media file...)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points