• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

selecting all text objects in a single go?

Enthusiast ,
Jun 27, 2012 Jun 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to select all the text objects in a page.?

TOPICS
How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'd need a script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter's answer is correct IF you have multiple layers. If you have a single layer, make the Layers panel visible. Option/Alt-click the name of the single layer and all the objects in that layer are selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter is right on this and I think we already have the script for this in InDesign.

Go to Scripts Panel and check the "Select Object" script , it works on the active page or spread only not on the complete document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2012 Jun 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you know, I never noticed that script in the samples before. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 01, 2012 Jul 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Manish-Sharma wrote:

Peter is right on this and I think we already have the script for this in InDesign.

Go to Scripts Panel and check the "Select Object" script , it works on the active page or spread only not on the complete document.

my script panel doesnt have this script im using version cs6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 02, 2012 Jul 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is there Indeed , take a look at the screen shot :-

Untitled.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

holy!!!...i don't have so many scripts. what versions are u using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look again. It's in the sample scripts sufolder in your scripts panel, and the samples hve been installed by default since about CS3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay, i found it, sorry : P

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 16, 2012 Dec 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this script is applicable to a single page only. what if i need to select text of whole document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2013 Jan 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this script didn't work for me. It shows an error message. I tryed find/change object panel but it is still limited. I just needed to convert all text to curves so what I did was just select all objects and use shortcut cmd+shft+o and it converts only text on each page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just needed to convert all text to curves...

Well, that would be outside what is generally considered "normal" workflow, so you won't find a built-in feature that makes it easy. Frame/object selection is indeed limited to a single page in InDesign. The only cross-page selection possibility is threaded text.

Why do you need to convert all your text to outlines?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I would normally not do that but I am creatring a broshure which is downloaded from the clients website. Web developers said there was a problem downloading PDF file and sugested to convert all text to outlines in order to eliminate it as a possible reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 12, 2014 Sep 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you really need ID document with all texts outlined? Or just exported PDF? If the second, it's worth reading for you:

http://indesignsecrets.com/converting-text-to-outlines-the-right-way.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure why this ancient thread was revived. The trick in InDesign secrets depended on a bug that was fixed in CS5, so it is no longer 100% reliable. There's a thread about it at Possible bug: oulining text w/ flattener in CS5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it's still works perfectly for me (CS6, ID8) in those (thanks God) very rare cases when I'm forced to follow this ancient and stupid workflow of outlining texts.

Anyway, using special Transparency preset for export (yes, that's not intended use!) is better option then hunting for text directly in ID and outlining it (as original OP request is). Tables, paragraph rules, bullets and numbering, underlines and strikethroughs... - have fun with that stuff.

Another option - export PDF from ID 'normally' and try outline text in Acrobat... That's possible, too.

Yet another options? Apart of changing the printer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there is bug in script, everytime we have to deselect rest of the options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1- slecte all the page

2 - you must press on ( Direct selection tool ) Arrow

3- Now Choose Type - Create OutlinesScreen shot 2014-09-12 at 7.47.05 PM.png

Without press ( Direct selection tool ) Arrow after selecte all page some text inside group does not convert to curve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nice trick with direct selection, unfortunately, at least in a tables it leaves not outlined text (under the outlined copy)...

well, for me here - W7, CS6, ID8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@abhijeett89122812 said:

"there is bug in script, everytime we have to deselect rest of the options."

That's not a bug. It's done by design.

You could change that in the code by changing the default settings of the options.

In the middle of the script the original code is this:

with(dialogColumns.add()){					
var myRectanglesCheckbox = checkboxControls.add({staticLabel:"&Rectangles", checkedState:true});

Change the value for checkedState from true to value false like that, also in the 8 following lines.

with(dialogColumns.add()){					
var myRectanglesCheckbox = checkboxControls.add({staticLabel:"&Rectangles", checkedState:false});

Do the change with a text editor like the Editor application on Windows or TextEdit on MacOS.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2023 Jun 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can select them by the menu: Select -> Object -> All Text Objects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2023 Jun 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's an Illustrator command. It doesn't esist in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines