Skip navigation
texso
Currently Being Moderated

Mouse settings in CS6? Tracking is slow, don't like having to hold shift all the time.

May 10, 2012 7:53 AM

Tags: #illustrator #problem #scrolling #mouse #tracking #speed #hold_shift

In CS5 the tracking was fine, now to match that, I'm having to hold shift at the same time as Ctrl or when scrolling. Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 17, 2012 4:44 PM   in reply to texso

It would be great to have the option to switch that modifier. i.e. Shift + scroll for small increment scroll, and regular scroll for regular scroll. ^.^

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 9:56 PM   in reply to Neatski

I don't know what OS you're working on but on My Mack Shift Scroll is way to fast to be effective.

I would not want things to change and Iwould not want the team to waste time changing it either.

In other words I disagree with you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 5:27 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

I agree that the scroll tracking in CS6 is completely unusable (at least on Windows).  They've ruined it, and in the process killed my productivity, since I've trained myself to rely heavily on scrolling using the touch strips on a Wacom Intuous 3.  The CS6 default scrolling behavior now seems somehow relative to zoom.  In other words, the further zoomed in you are, the less distance moved when scrolling, to the point that at 3200%+ it barely moves at all.  Shift scrolling is useless as this moves way too much.  In CS4, scrolling was uniform at all zoom levels.  They REALLY need to bring back an option to make it this way again, at least to help out those of us who they've screwed (really I can't work nearly at my old productivity level).

Please tell me there is a way to turn back on the old scrolling behavior that I've overlooked.

Extremely frustrated,

-Jim Heck

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 5:41 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

I'm on a PC, so clearly there's some disparity between Mac and PC.

I would like things to change and it’s not a waste of time for the team to keep a usability feature that existed in a prior version of CS.

In other words, I disagree with you, Wade.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 5:55 PM   in reply to Neatski

I just filed this as a bug report against Illustrator.  Hopefully the team will do something about it.  It's so bad I'm very torn with continuing with CS6 Illustrator at all and considering going back to an earlier version.  It absolutely is killing my workflow.

I'm trying to compensate by using Pan/Scroll on a Wacom ExpressKey, which at least works at high zoom.  Unfortunately the Pan/Scroll tool is a different paradigm than the scrolling I'm used to (you have to use the hand to push the art in the opposite direction that you would normally scroll to get to the area of work you want to move towards).

I too disagree with Wade.  Adobe took away a "standard" scrolling behavior and put in place something that operates significantly differently.  This type of unilateral migration ot a new behavior always screws existing users who have habits and workflows that can't just be abandoned easily.

-Jim

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 1:40 AM   in reply to pinballrules

Using the Intuos 3 on a Mac I can't see any differences between scrolling with the touch strip in Illustrator CS5 and 6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 6:16 AM   in reply to Monika Gause

My comparison is on Windows 7 x64 Pro (fully updated with service packs and updates) and is between CS4 and CS6, all at ultra high zooms 4800% and 6400%.  With CS4, the scrolling works fine at high zoom, using either the Wacom Intuous 3 touchstrip or the scrollwheel of a Logitech G500 mouse.  The screen moves the same proportional chunk irregardless of zoom level.  In CS6, the scrolling works reasonably at low zoom level, but as the zoom increases, the scrolling of either the touchstrip or the mousewheel moves the screen less and less, such that at ultra high zoom of 4800 and 6400%, the screen barely moves at all when scrolling.  It would take 10s (perhaps 100 or more) rotations of the scroll wheel or swipes of the touchstrip to move the screen one full height increment.

It has to be a bug in the Windows version, especially if on a Mac it isn't behaving this way, which means hopefully it can be fixed quickly (if it wasn't intentional).  Can you confirm that on a Mac it scrolls fine with touchstrip or mousewheel at ultra high zoom?

Thanks.

-Jim

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 6:46 AM   in reply to pinballrules

I don't see any difference in the scrolling between CS6 and earlier versions (tested CS4 as well). Using the Intuos 3 mouse as well as the touch strip.

Have you also contacted Wacom about this? Could it be a driver issue? There are other known problems with the Intuos 3 as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 10:36 AM   in reply to Monika Gause

I doubt it is a driver issue, since the behavior is the same with either the Intuous3 or the G500 mouse scrollwheel.  Since these are seprate devices with separate drivers, but the behavior is the same, I would say the problem lies on Adobe's side.  Also, the same Intuous3 works fine with the same driver and CS4.

That said, I have now reported the same problem to Wacom, since perhaps that can help raise the visibility of the issue with Adobe.

Another problem I've found with the Wacom touchstrips, is that the modifier keys used in conjunction with the touchstrip seems to be somewhat inconsistent in operation (not fatally so, still mostly usable).  So say if 'ctrl' is checked so that the scrolling should be horizontal instead of vertical, sometimes Illustrator scrolls vertically anyway, or it scrolls in a jerky fashion.  I have reported this issue to Wacom as well, since that problem probably is on their side in how they send the commands to Illustrator.

-Jim

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points