• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player 11.3.300.262 Not working with Firefox. I think I found the problem.

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2012 Jun 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Flash Player 11.3.300.262 is not working with Firefox. I think I found the problem.*

Millions of people got off work & turned on there computers recently to discover that Firefox is not playing any videos or flash content. Just like me, millions of people are randomly searching the internet in a futile & frustrating attempt at answers. Unfortunately, many of those people will simply stop using firefox & deem it a glitchy, unreliable browser.

This happened to me a couple days ago. I started up my computer & got a pop-up from Adobe saying that I need to update my flash player to 11.3.300.262. I've always thought of adobe as being a reliable software company, so I clicked on it with confidence that things will be working even smoother. To my horror, I relalized that right after the update, my main browser, firefox was destroyed. Then I went on the frustrating process of uninstalling, re-installing, running virus scan, researching the internet like a lost child. I said to myself, "that's why I hate updating stuff, because updates always seem to change stuff you don't want it to change & there always seems to be a problem with the updates." I usualy update software months after it releases, because microsoft & all the other software companies always seem not to test there stuff properly before releasing them. Then we have to look at a glitchy computer until the next update fixes it. Well, that is my rant. Now let me discuss the problem I found.

Problem:

What I did was, go into my firefox extentions menu & I disabled the 11.3.300.262 & I re-enabled the previous flash player. After that, everything worked perfect again. Then a today (a week later), I turned on my computer & my firefox wasn't playing any videos or flash content again. I went into my firefox extenions menu again, & I discovered that my old flash player had been deleted, & this new glitchy 11.3.300.262 had been enabled. Why did adobe feel the need to into my computer & automaticly delete & update my flash player. Now it doesn't work. THIS IS REALY FRUSTRATING!

The Issue I discovered:

"RealPlayer" is the most popular video program & it is installed on millions of computers. For some strange reason Firefox does not want its users to use Real Player. Specifically the RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin 15.0.2. I also discovered that my Browser Record Plugin 15.0.2 was automatically disabled when the Adobe 11.3.300.262 was automatically updated also.

- Maybe this could be because of some copyright conspiracy to keep people from downloading videos from the web.

- Maybe firefox wants people to use there download add-on instead of RealPlayers downloader.

I don't know what ther reason is. But what I do know is Nobody is going to delete there RealPlayer from there computer just to use FireFox. We can simply use Chrome or Internet explorer. I took the advise from Adobe & disabled the FireFox RealPlayer Extention. I also went into my RealPlayer preferences options, But there was no option to disable download recording from FireFox. BECAUSE I ALREADY DISABLED THE ADD-ON in FireFoxes menu.

Solution:

Step 1: Adobe needs to update all the computers with the previous flash player. That way we can choose to enable the previous flash player in our FireFox. or wait until a new update fixes the problem with firefox.

Step 2: Adobe & FireFox need to get together & go back to the drawing board. They need to create a update that actually works on computers that have Real Player installed on them. I don't care which company does the update. All I care about is if it works. Thank You.

Oh yea, Im running FireFox 13.0.1, Windows 7, HP computer, Real Player is up to date.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 28, 2012 Jun 28, 2012

FirefoxAdobeNotWorking wrote:

We all know Corporate executives love every penny of profit and there willing to layoff anybody to keep that profit. Just sayin.

Mozilla is a non profit organisation and Adobe will not loose anything if you switch to chrome or IE.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2012 Jun 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well since you posted this I managed to get firefox to play videos again so thank you.  What I actually had to do was go into Realplayer and tell it not to download or record videos FROM ANY WEB BROWSER.

I had already disabled the extentions in Firefox, but until I turned it off for Chrome and IE as well, I could not get the flash player to work in Firefox. 

What is really odd is that IE and Chrome have no problem runing Flash and Realplayer, only firefox appeared to have a problem, though they seem to insist on wanting to cause one for the other browsers too!

If you wanted to, I expect you could uninstall flash, install a previous version and tell it not to auto update.  I think the previous versions archive is here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2012 Jun 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DomBray wrote:

Well since you posted this I managed to get firefox to play videos again so thank you.  What I actually had to do was go into Realplayer and tell it not to download or record videos FROM ANY WEB BROWSER.

I had already disabled the extentions in Firefox, but until I turned it off for Chrome and IE as well, I could not get the flash player to work in Firefox. 

What is really odd is that IE and Chrome have no problem runing Flash and Realplayer, only firefox appeared to have a problem, though they seem to insist on wanting to cause one for the other browsers too!

If you wanted to, I expect you could uninstall flash, install a previous version and tell it not to auto update.  I think the previous versions archive is here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions. html

That's exactly what the problem is. We have to disable "RealPlayer Downloader" for ALL our browsers, to get FireFox to work. We should not have to do that. I don't care if FireFox doesn't like RealPlayer. But people still need to be able to use RealPlayer on Internet Explorer & Chrome.

Adobe & FireFox need to fix this ASAP, before people stop using FireFox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Realplayer installs a Plugin and an extension into Firefox.

This extension itself installs an NPAPI Proxy. That means it installs like a firewall between the browser and the Flash Plugin to capture the communication and to catch the videos.

Realplayer is doing something wrong if it works without it !

This is not Firefox fault nor Adobe fault.

You get this only in Firefox because the new Protected Mode is enabled only for Firefox.

What you can try is to disable the browser record plugin and the extension in Firefox.

The new protected mode is also causing a lot of crashes and that is Adobes fault.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nightdive wrote:

Realplayer installs a Plugin and an extension into Firefox.

This extension itself installs an NPAPI Proxy. That means it installs like a firewall between the browser and the Flash Plugin to capture the communication and to catch the videos.

Realplayer is doing something wrong if it works without it !

This is not Firefox fault nor Adobe fault.

You get this only in Firefox because the new Protected Mode is enabled only for Firefox.

What you can try is to disable the browser record plugin and the extension in Firefox.

The new protected mode is also causing a lot of crashes and that is Adobes fault.

I don't know what the heII is going one. We shouldn't have to be computer tech experts just to figure this out. I think I'll just stop using FireFox. Maybe a couple months from now or maybe a year, Adobe & FireFox will get it together to fix this issue. Until then, Chrome & IE here I come. If FireFox or Adobe looses money on this, oh well. We all know Corporate executives love every penny of profit and there willing to layoff anybody to keep that profit. Just sayin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2012 Jun 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FirefoxAdobeNotWorking wrote:

We all know Corporate executives love every penny of profit and there willing to layoff anybody to keep that profit. Just sayin.

Mozilla is a non profit organisation and Adobe will not loose anything if you switch to chrome or IE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 01, 2012 Jul 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i too am sharing in this real player horror story.  i have prefect sound quality from my games, but the fatal white box syndrome.  i'm a gamer so i just found out that i'm getting the error message from youtube.    disabling the plug-in did not work on my system.  which i did when firefox prompted me to.  i had about 20 updates all at once which took me a couple hours to figure out that it was the flash player update causing my problems.  So my video card is also freshly updated, which is the usual problem i have had in the past. i tried to revert to an older version of flash player three times now  and some how it keeps updating by itself.  i even tried uninstalling  flash player and installed an older version which updated while my pc (vista)  was in sleep mode. which lead me to the firefox forums.  unfortunately, this is not the first time i have suffered compatibility issues with firefox and real player.  firefox is also saying to uninstall real player, which is fine if you don't use realplayer.  i love realplayer, i don't want to uninstall it.  even though google chrome is so primitive, firefox and adobe have left me with no other choice but to make the the switch.  since i never use IE, chrome is winning the race.  besides firefox has disabled several of my plug-ins due to compatibility issues.  So we really should all be moaning and groaning our complaints to  firefox, not just adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2012 Jul 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nightdive wrote:

Complaining to Mozilla ?

What should they do ?

Your beloved Realplayer breaks flash and Mozilla can not fix that.

Why do you don't complain to the Realplayer developers ?

Ttheir software sucks and breaks flash.

Someone destroys the windshoild of your Ford with a hammer and you want complain to Ford ?

Unbelievable stupid in my Opinion.

You are wrong my E firend. The problem didn't start until the Adobe update started. The update was a result of Firefox not wanting to use Real Player. The problem is that Mozilla & Adobe want us (the customer) to disable Real Player in our other browsers (IE, Chrome). Just so it will work in Firefox. This leads logical thinking people like myself to believe that the problem originated with Firefox & was implemented by Adobe. The problem is that even after we disable the Real Player extention in Firefox, the firefox browser still doesn't work. We shouldn't have to disable something in other browsers to get another browser to work. If we disable Real Player in the other browsers, they still work, which again leads me to believe that it is a Firefox problem. RealPlayer is probably aware of the issue also, but all don't have time to be on three different forums trying to brainstorm a solution to the problem. You shouldn't make excuses for international technology corporations. They know what they have to do. It's the customers duty to tell them what the issues are, so they can fix them & improve there product. A better product = more $$$ for Adobe & more Donations for Mozilla.

Just listen to this video from Adobe. Adobe has confirmed the issue & are working on it, to fix it. Somehow this seems to be the only video that works in Firefox, with RealPlayer enabled on other browsers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't search excuses for Adobe or Mozilla.but I do know the technical backgrounds and the reason why this issue appeared. You are also no customer for Mozilla. Mozilla is a non profit organization unlike all the other parties in the browser area.

Technical backgrounds:

A browser and the plugin are communication through NPAPI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPAPI

The stupid Realplayer installs itself <as Proxy between the browser and the Flash plugin to capture video streams. The API is standardized and Adobe change their implementation of the NPAPI interface to add the Proteced mode feature that is only availaible for Gecko based Browsers like Firefox.

Yes, the same plugin can use different code based on the browser. I could release a Plugin that kills for example Google Chrome but works great with other browsers.

People like you blame google for this and that is so ridiculous.

Backl to the story:

The stupid proxy code from Realplayer that sits between the flash plugin and the browser doesn't work right with this change and breaks flash.

Mozilla can not fix this at all and Adobe could only disable the really great new Proteced mode feature which would be a shame.

Adobe will not do this and they can't fix the issue in the realplayer malware.

What they want to fix is all the other issues that appeared with this new feature like crashes.

I have disabled the Proteced Mode feature as example due to a 100% reproduceable crash in a certain situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for stopping me from posting a pms rant.  i completely agree with you FFnotworking, it is mostly firefox, but it is also adobe. seeing as i'm having facebook flash player issues(lol), and FB says it's flash player.  this is the third forum i've researched regarding this issue.  i went to firefox first, after hours of digging though my 20 odd updates.  because i did everything firefox said except remove my "beloved" program that is also synced to my beloved android.  which would have started another nightmare for me.  And firefox still won't play flash content. just for the record, i started trouble shooting through firefox first, then came to adobe.  as i stated before this is not the first time firefox prompted me to disable realplayer plug-in due to compatibility issues on opening the browser, it happened with a few older versions of firefox.  hey nightdive, lighten up, no one here has blamed google once for anything!?  seeing as i was only trying to add a little 'dry' humor to this nightmare.  i'm not some newbie that doesn't know my way around a pc.  and i hate to admit that i remember when netscape (they first developed the npapi) was one of the few service providers. "i'm not prehistoric, i'm pre-internet", my own quote. again i agree that we shouldn't have to disable and uninstall stuff so all our browsers work, but that would be utopia!  it still beats what we went through in the late 80's and all of the 90's!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2012 Jul 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep reading "realplayer" here, yet I've never had realplayer on this computer, in fact I've not had it on any of my machines in the last 15 years .... go figure. More likely It's the new Flashplayer that's causing occasional browser freezes (yeah yeah ... the new Flashplayer can run in a sandbox on Firefox) ... Does any other browser support this Flashplayer feature ? Is it even a feature that was designed for other browsers ?

Also ... my Firefox doesn't freeze everytime I see Flash content on a web page ... but today it happened, and since I've been observing loads of reports about the new Flashplayer instability on Firefox ... I decided to come check the forums.

Of course the web is full of media that requires Flashplayer ... so ... removing Flashplayer is not the ideal solution.

On the other hand, Adobe is/was aware of the problem and stated .. "Roll back to the old Flashplayer". Hmmm.... wasn't this new Flashplayer released (as usual) due to serious security issues ? Yes it was.

So what's more important .... insecure entertainment, or secure but instable entertainment, or secure but no entertainment ?

By the way ... Mozilla doesn't care about whos plugins you run. At most, they're concerned about what those plugins do to their browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2012 Jul 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to second the it's not just a people with Realplayer point.  I think I might have had it, ages ago, but got rid of it for some other reason.   So Realplayer  free here and it's still not working.

Re:Firefox:  I LIKE Firefox.  It is has always been secure and reliable, and definately more reliable than IE and it's clicky, buggy, exploit ridden...well, you get the idea.    The point is I will limp along downloading videos remotely if I have to, and wait for a solution before I switch browsers.

Chrome....how can I say this without offence: it's a Google product.  I use enough Google services; I have no intention of putting all my eggs in one basket, and certainly not in my browser basket.  

So, yay for OP discovering this other Realplayer glitch.  But doesn't help those of us without Realplayer.  Unless there's an orphaned file fragment  floating about....?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2012 Jul 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok race fans...

I have Firefox 13.0.1 and Windows 7 with NO Real Player installed.  I had to stop using Firefox as it ran as if it was being routed  through a Hayes 9600 modem (age related hint here)...

Once I found this discussion and disabled the Flash Player plugin, Firefox once again runs like it did before (with the added "feature" of the plug-in disabled message being displayed all over the place).

I am tempted to load RealPlayer and then follow the instructions as described above, but I wanted to throw this out to see if anyone else is having this issue or has heard of a different work around.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update to the above post.

I ended up uninstalling Flash Player and then installing the previous version.  This URL will show you how to do this:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1022066?tstart=0

Don't forget to select "Notify me to install updates" so that the "bad" version won't overwrite the previous version.

I am now back in action once again running version 11.2.203.235!

Hope that Adobe and Firefox can figure out what is going on and issue a real fix...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those still crashing or hanging with today's 11.3.300.265 update, it would be very helpful if you could either:

a. Download and install the Firefox 15 "Aurora" release and submit all crash reports when they occur

b. Provide reproducible steps so we can verify the issue internally

Crash logs created and submitted with Firefox 15 will allow us to gather critical details that are missing from the current crash reports that are being generated with Firefox 13 and 14.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2012 Jul 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Chris,

I was able to duplicate this issue on my Windows 7 laptop as follows:

1)  Completely uninstall FlashPlayer (using your tool) as well as Mozilla Firefox and Mozilla Maintenance Service (used Windows 7 - uninstall from Control Panel).  Please note that I checked the box that said "Remove my Firefox personal data and customizations" to ensure that Firefox was completely gone from my laptop.

2)  I then went out to the Firefox website and downloaded the "Firefox Setup 13.0.1.exe" app to my laptop.  I ran this app to install Firefox.

3)  I then went to the following website http://www.ishmael.org.uk/karaoke02.php as I know that this URL uses Flash Player (obviously you can go to any URL that uses Flash Player - I'm just letting you know which one I used).  I then clicked on the icon on this page to install Flash Player.

Once the install was completed, the URL stops responding and appears to be locked up (although it will occassionally hiccup and display portions of the page and then lock up again).  You will eventually get a pop-up notice from Firefox that has the header "Warning:  Unresponsive script" and says the following: 

A script on this page may be busy or it may have stopped responding.  You can stop the script now, or you can continue to to see of the script will complete.  Script:  chrome://browser/content/browser.js:6551 

Selecting "Stop script" will get Firefox working until you hit another page that uses Flash Player.

To ensure that the above URL is not the culprit, I used one from your website http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html and had the same results.

Hope this info helps!

Jeff

NOTE:  As a reminder, I do not have RealPlayer installed on my laptop (and never have had it installed)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like JDM_Nokia, I can reproduce this on two computers running Firefox 13.0.1 and Flash 11.3.300.265 on Win 2008 R2 SP1. With that version, Flash causes the browser to hang or run extremely slowly whenever I go to any site that uses it. Uninstalling that version of Flash and installing v. 11.2.202.235 fixed the issue for me. I haven't yet tested with FF Aurora, but I'll give that a try and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, looks like I spoke too soon. One of the computers was running FF 12.0, and after installing Aurora (where Flash worked fine, btw) I noticed that it hadn't been upgraded either, and on that computer Flash worked after upgrading FF to 13.0.1. I'm not sure whether it's because I installed Aurora, or because I upgraded to 13.0.1, but I can confirm that I still see the issue on my other computer with 13.0.1. I might try installing Aurora there as well, see if that has any effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2012 Jul 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aparently Firefox 14.0.1 released today. Can someone check this update out & see how it effects realplayer & flash player? Does firefox work with realplayer enabled for other browsers no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2012 Jul 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried upgrading to FF 14.0.1 and Flash 11.3.300.265 on the computer with the problem and it still hangs. I haven't tried Aurora yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2012 Jul 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem still is the Flash Protected mode, not Realplayer nor Firefox.

I have Firefox 14.0.1, Flash 11.3.300.265, and I don't have Realplayer. Since Flash 11.3 I could not use Flash until add this line to file C:\windows\system32\macromed\flash\mms.cfg:

ProtectedMode=0

After that, flash works perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dudz1978, you are absolutely right. Only ProtectedMode=0 helps. Blaming RealPlayer was really nasty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added the entry suggested by Dudz1978 and then updated my Flash Player.  I'm happy to report that Firefox and Flash Player are now playing nice

Kudos to Dudz1978 for posting this fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally after a month of frustration, Firefox and Flash are working again.

Thanks Dudz1978!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 22, 2012 Jul 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read your item re Flash player and adding ProtectMode=0 to macromed\flash.cfg:   Not being that computer literate I seached macromed\flash but couldn't find mms.cfg in fact searching using the string you listed above returned nothing.  Where do I find this file and when I do how do I add ProtectedMode=0 as I would like to be able to play videos again and stop Firefox 14.0.1 hanging?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines