Skip navigation
mattm591
Currently Being Moderated

Can't map keyboard shortcuts in Dreamweaver CS6 (Mac)

Jun 26, 2012 7:05 AM

I am trying to modify the keyboard shortcuts in Dreamweaver CS6 on Mac to match the mappings I had for CS5.

I used Ctrl + Tab and Ctrl + Shift + Tab to switch between open documents. When I trry to set this in the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog it ignores my input. I tried to modify it in menu.xml (which already had this set, presumably because it copied it from CS5), but it still doesn't appear in the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog or work when I press the keys.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 2, 2012 2:07 AM   in reply to mattm591

Having the same problem. There is a para on this help page at http://help.adobe.com/en_US/dreamweaver/cs/using/WScbb6b82af5544594822 510a94ae8d65-7764a.html#WS2141B5CA-DFF6-482b-915B-2180742302D9a - but nor very helpful in terms of offering a solution. Urgently need a workaaround for this - Adobe please reply!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 5:22 AM   in reply to mattm591

Hello,

----------del, not needed----------

Hans-Günter

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 4:49 AM   in reply to mattm591

You don't need a custom keyboard shortcut for switching between tabs. It's Command + tilde (~) on a Mac. I've just tested it in CS6 on my Mac, and it works just fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 5:07 AM   in reply to David_Powers

Thanks for this - but I should have explained that my update to Matt's query was about creating custom keyboard shortcuts in DW CS6 on a UK keyboard. The problem seems to be that certain combinations are now not allowed on a UK keyboard (Mac) - for example I cannot add my CS5.5 shortcut for Manage Sites - Shift+Alt+Cmd+M.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 6:00 AM   in reply to mattm591

If it's not overwriting have you trashing the configuration folder in your user library to let the app create a new one and also try repairing permissions to make sure the file is writable.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 7:17 AM   in reply to mattm591

I've just done some testing, and can confirm that Dreamweaver CS5.5 on a Mac (UK keyboard) allows you to assign Ctrl+Tab to that keyboard shortcut. But it won't accept it on Dreamweaver CS6.

I've no idea why that should be so. It's probably an internal change to something else that has affected it, and nobody noticed during testing because it's not common to change an existing keyboard shortcut to something else.

I suggest that you file a bug report through the form at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform. Reports filed through that form go directly to the program team.

I can understand your frustration, but please remember that most of the people answering questions here, including myself, are not Adobe employees.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 8:42 AM   in reply to mattm591

I quote: "But it won't accept it on Dreamweaver CS6".  In this context, my earlier original post is of interest again.

In http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/dreamweaver_reference.pdf, the help documents for Creative Suite CS5, CS5.1, CS5.5, and CS6 applications (PDF and HTML),  you can see that this combination (search "Control+Tab") in DW has this task now: "Navigate a dialog box".

The shortcut "Ctrl + Shift + Tab" I didn't find there.

Hans-Günter

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 9:40 AM   in reply to hans-g.

Nice try, Hans-Günter, but Control+Tab for navigating a dialog box applies to Windows only, and it's not new to DW CS6. I happen to have a PDF of the Dreamweaver CS3 documentation on my computer, and that section is identical.

I'll see if I can find out from the engineers if there's a particular reason for this change in the Mac version of CS6. I suspect it wasn't intentional, but you never know.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 10:01 AM   in reply to David_Powers

Sorry, yes, the whole headline is:

Navigate Dreamweaver using the keyboard

You can use the keyboard to navigate panels, inspectors, dialog boxes, frames, and tables without a mouse.

Note: Tabbing and the use of arrow keys are supported for Windows only.

Hans-Günter

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 11:31 AM   in reply to David_Powers

The initial response from the engineers is that they weren't aware of the issue. So, it doesn't seem to be been disabled intentionally. A bug has now been filed.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2012 5:12 AM   in reply to mattm591

I understand it's on the list of items to fix, but there's no indication of when it will be done.

As a general principle, even when a minor bug is fixed internally, Adobe holds the fix until the next version is released. The only time minor bugs are fixed between releases is if a patch needs to be issued for a major issue that causes crashes or data loss.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2014 6:41 AM   in reply to mattm591

I've solved this problem with bettertouch app check out http://www.boastr.net/.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points