Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 Very Slow Startup?

Jul 2, 2012 10:04 AM

Hello Folks,

I've just applied the latest update, but am experiencing very slow image loading times between LR 4.1 and CS6 Extended edition.

I am using an iMac 27 2.8Ghz with 8Gig of System Ram, over 300Gig of HDD free space.

Upon selecting edit-in CS6 with an image in LR 4.1, CS6 starts up with a long splash screen, loads, then I get a spinning grey circle, then CS6 loads on the desktop, then I get a colored spinning circle, before my image finally appears.

I have performance set to an external scratch disk witih 624G of free space, 5644 MB of memory usage at 74%, HS at 30 CL at 7 CTS at 1028K

I have CS5 still installed and it's load times are about twice as fast as CS 6

Any help or suggestions on how I might resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jim

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 2, 2012 10:15 AM   in reply to jasdelta

Is Photoshop slow to launch (should take about 7 seconds cold launch on that system, 4 for a warm launch), or slow to open files?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 2, 2012 11:08 AM   in reply to jasdelta

OK, so it's just slow loading the file.

Try changing the scratch disk -- yes, the external will be slower.

But I'm not sure why you're getting the spinning color circle - that means that the application is blocked and not processing events (which Photoshop should be doing even with a slow disk).

Are files that slow to load if you open a PSD from Photoshop?  Or is this just with certain file types from Lightroom?  (could this be ACR related)

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 2, 2012 11:51 AM   in reply to jasdelta

Keep in mind that external disks sometimes spin down, and thus the startup time could have been greatly extended by using such a disk in that condition, as it would have to be given time to spin up.  It could be that it's an acceptable disk for the task otherwise.

Just thought I'd mention that.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points