Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Interactive PDF buttons and default outlines

Mar 13, 2012 6:30 AM

Tags: #line #acrobat #button #indesign #state #dashed #rollover

I'm trying to make a straight forward ebook in Indesign cs5.5 for a touch screen, consisting of a series of images. The only functionality it needs to have for now is browsing up and down.

I made two big rectangular buttons with opacity set to 0%, 1/3 of the from the right of the screen = next, 1/3 from the left of the screen = previous page.

All works, but now there's this ugly default dashed line that pops up every time you tap one of the buttons. I can't find anything on this topic, but surely there must be a way to hide this? It's weird to have this dotted line overuling my designed rollover states.

Flash does not suffer from this default button outline, but I would prefer to make a pdf out of it. Any suggestions?

Example of the outline on a mouse click on a Windows Vista machine with Acrobat X or if opened in a browser. (In Safari on OSX I see a grey transprarent rectangle instead of the dashed line).

dashed-outline.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 13, 2012 7:59 AM   in reply to JomThreethousand

You're mixing up concepts here.

When you say "ebook", usually that means an EPUB file, but ebook EPUB readers don't support buttons (maybe some using JavaScript).

Or, are you meaning PDF files bcause you're talking about previewing it in Acrobat X. But do you realize that most PDF readers on the iPad don't support buttons either. See by blog posting here: For Interactive PDF, Not All Readers Are Equal

Or, are you talking about the Adobe Digital Publishing system which you would talk about in the DPS forum.

Can you tell what workflow you're trying to use, please.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 8:15 AM   in reply to JomThreethousand

Can you post a file for us to look at, please. I can't get what the problem is by looking at that screen capture.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 8:24 AM   in reply to JomThreethousand

The unwanted dashed line happens in Acrobat around buttons when there is an effect like transparency, bevel and emboss, outer glow, etc.applied to the button in Indesign. Removing the effect will eliminate the dashed line. You may be able to recreate the state appearance without the effects and see if this prevents the dashed line.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to Jeffrey_Smith

I see what you mean in the link JomThreethousand posted. Jeffrey is probably correct. I've seen that subtle outline so often I just accept it as one of the ways that Acrobat/Reader display buttons. I don't particularly find it offensive. Each display system has its quirks and that's one of Acrobat/Reader's.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 8:46 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

I just noticed something, I removed the effects from a button, but the dashed line is still there in Acrobat. The dashed line appears, but is pretty much the same size of the button, and in this case not as noticeable.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 4:18 PM   in reply to JomThreethousand

Hello Jom...

did u find a solution for the dotted OUTLINE around a button while click on it? (while watching it at PDF viewer)

it is really annoying...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 4:28 PM   in reply to omri Malis

Nothing has changed in InDesign or in Acrobat that would affect button display.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 4:45 PM   in reply to Steve Werner

thank u steve,

u mean that this :

"I see what you mean in the link JomThreethousand posted. Jeffrey is probably correct. I've seen that subtle outline so often I just accept it as one of the ways that Acrobat/Reader display buttons. I don't particularly find it offensive. Each display system has its quirks and that's one of Acrobat/Reader's"

is still the answer?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 5:01 PM   in reply to omri Malis

To the best of my knowledge. You could ask on the Acrobat forums, because it's an Acrobat issue. There may be a workaround I haven't heard of.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 6:51 AM   in reply to JomThreethousand

I do not profess to be an expert here but I was under the impression that this was an accessability issue.

You'll find a similar issue on the web when tabbing through nav lists.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2012 9:18 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

I have found one interesting answer from John Waller that seems to apply :

« It's called a "focus rectangle" and it's an accessibility feature of modern

browsers to show those who are navigating your site with a keyboard where

the focus is on the page e.g. if the dots appear on the Submit button the

user knows that pressing Enter will submit the form. »

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/98580

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 11:57 AM   in reply to NicolasLeclair

Feature can be disabled in PDF by going to Acrobat Preferences/Forms and toggling off "Show focus rectangle".

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points