One way to do it in Illustrator:
If it's a large number of dots involved, use your spreadsheet program to generate the needed text string:
1. Open a spreadsheet program (Excel, OpenOffice, whatever).
2. Select Column A. Format it as text.
3. In column A, row 1, type a bullet and a 1.
4. In column A, row 2, type a bullet and a 2.
5. Select cells A1 and A2. Fill Down for as many rows as needed.
6. Select all the filled-in cells. Copy.
7. Switch to Illustrator.
8. Click the Text Tool on one of the Threaded Text paths. Paste.