Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

New Nikon D3, D300, and D700 "Camera" v3 beta profiles

Jan 20, 2011 9:14 AM

Latest reply: MadManChan2000, Jul 24, 2012 1:36 PM
Replies 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 13, 2011 9:32 AM   in reply to Vit Novak

Vit, I made no changes to the contrast when I ran ACR 6.6, just changed the profile to Portrait v4 and output jpg files.  I then changed the profile to Portrait v2 and output jpg again, using ACR 6.6.  I then compared Portrait v2 for ACR 6.6 with the ones from ACR 6.5 that I ran before I installed ACR 6.6 - they did not match. 

I changed back to ACR 6.5 and using Portrait v2 output jpg files on my 54 test images and compared them to jpg files I had output with ACR 6.5 before I installed ACR 6.6.  These were a perfect match. 

After I read your above post I changed back to ACR 6.6 and opened the images I sent you and they show medium contrast selected for both Portrait v2 and Portrait v4.  The ACR 6.6 Portrait v2 still do not agree with ACR 6.5 Portrait v2 images.  I think there is a problem with ACR 6.6.  

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2011 9:45 AM   in reply to b2martin_a

Possible. Exif tag in jpeg is showing that linear was used with ACR 6.6 and Portrait v2, but there can be a bug. I'm using 32bit version and so far it seems to be ok. I hope someone from Adobe will try to investigate this

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,524 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 13, 2011 11:01 AM   in reply to b2martin_a

b2martin_a wrote:

I think there is a problem with ACR 6.6. 

It might be helpful to the developers if you'd post copies of the two different results, and I'd suggest providing also the XMP file that describes the settings.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2011 7:00 PM   in reply to Vit Novak

Vit, I have identified what caused ACR 6.5 not to match ACR 6.6 for D700 NEF when using Portrait v2 profile or any other Profile.  I use a Photoshop Action from Bridge to process RAW files because I am generally processing an entire folder of images.  I discovered that with ACR 6.6 I don't get the same results if I use an Action rather than just click the open button in ACR and then save from Photoshop.  With ACR 6.5 the results are identical using the Action vs the open button and save from Photoshop.  If I use the Image Processor from Bridge with ACR 6.6 I get the same results as using the open button in ACR 6.6 and save from Photoshop.

When I use the Photoshop Action that I saved, images processed with ACR 6.6 have the same characteristics I get with a Linear Tone curve even though I have the Medium Contrast Tone curve selected in ACR 6.6.

I don't understand why ACR 6.6 works correctly with the Image Processor, but not with a Photoshop Action.  ACR 6.5 works correctly with either the Image Processor, or the Photoshop Action. 

My normal way to process RAW files is select the images in Bridge, then click Tools > Photoshop > Batch > select the action and folder to save images > OK.

Anyone else have this problem with ACR 6.6? 

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2011 11:21 PM   in reply to b2martin_a

Hi,

Hope that this info will be useful for Adobe team.

I'm also using actions in my workflow, to add some unsharp mask with wide radius to the photos, as Clarity function in processing models 2003, 2010 doesn't work as I whish

However, I didn't use actions when trying to reproduce your problem, but saved directly from ACR

I have some idea why this confusion about tone curve type, but can't talk about it ...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2011 5:04 AM   in reply to Vit Novak

I also ran a test with ACR 6.6 tone curve set to linear and the parametric curve set to values that give close to Medium Contrast and that works the same with the Action and Open button. 

|
    Mark as:
  • John Blaustein
    524 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Dec 15, 2011 4:07 PM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Do the v4 profiles require the same -0.50 exposure offset that the v3 ones required?

Thank you.

John

|
    Mark as:
  • John Blaustein
    524 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Dec 15, 2011 5:43 PM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Thanks, Eric.

That's what I thought, but I appreciate the confirmation.

I've only looked at a few D3 and D300S portraits so far, but the Neutral profile is simply beautiful.  Thanks a million for your efforts.

Have a good holiday....

John

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2011 7:55 AM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Great stuff Maestro Chan. A little surprised that these crept in under the radar. Or at least they did for me, who only downloaded the finalised 3.6. With the little or no publicity your good work went totally unrecognised in this outpost. Never mind; it was a lovely surprise. Everyone who believes in Santa Claus - clap your hands.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2011 9:46 PM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Hey Eric, didn't realize there had been activity on the V4 profiles, but glad to see they've gotten into the official release. I tried them out with some of the D700 samples I sent you a long time ago, and did notice that the shadows are kind of "flat" again, kind of like in the original versions (whereas in V3, and in NX, blacks were more 'black'). I'm guessing this was intentional, or maybe a consequence of getting it to work without a -0.5EV correction. For now I prefer the V3 profiles and will continue using them.

In any case too late to change anything, but just posting some initial observations. Thanks again for the color profile efforts.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2011 1:35 AM   in reply to photo81

You may also try my version of v4 profile for D700, posted in this thread nov 12, and see if you get better match in shadows

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2011 9:31 AM   in reply to Vit Novak

Vit, for some reason, your D90 profile which required V 6.6 isn't recognized. It no longer shows up in the Camera Calibtation list, no matter where I place it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2011 10:28 AM   in reply to Hudechrome

Don't know - all my old v4 profiles are working with this release, including the one for D90

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2011 11:13 AM   in reply to Vit Novak

Thanks, Vit.

I did a recent re-install of the entire C drive, including all programs and apps. Eric, (anyone?) is there any default setting when running on Windows 7 64 Ultimate that would interfere with Vit's profile loading?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,524 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 18, 2011 6:59 PM   in reply to Hudechrome

Lawrence, this is where I put Vit's profile on my Windows 7 x64 system, and it seems to be recognized by ACR 6.6 okay...

C:\Users\NoelC\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Canon EOS 40D - Standard sRGB H3.dcp

ACR66Profile.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2011 8:58 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I think maybe I had a corrupt download. Noel, your location in roaming was the first I tried, to no avail. So I downloaded again and this time it works.

I'll get back about any findings but just for a quick look, it's looking fine.

It seems to be my weekend for RAW file processing glitches. I recently installed the new DXO v7 and it's awful, so far as what their dng looks like in ACR, at least from my D80. The D90 looks better.

Sigh!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2011 3:17 PM   in reply to Vit Novak

Vit, I downloaded your version of the D700 Standard v4 profile and compared it with conversions of the same NEF files using ACR 6.6 with your Standard v4 (NX2 Standard aRGB v4) profile and NX2 using Standard profile.  I get excellent agreement between the two conversions.  I had noticed the difference in shadows when comparing conversions between ACR 6.6 Camera Standard v4 and NX2 Standard,  this difference is not there with your profile.  Do you plan on generating v4 profiles for the other 7 profiles for the D700?  If not, is this something I should be able to do?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2011 12:44 AM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Hi Everyone,

I just happened to this discussion and, being a novice in such matters, I have three questions (if it makes any difference, I am an Lr 3.6 user):

1. Is there somewhere a summary of the differences between the existing camera profiles and, in particular, the beta profiles (of particular interest are tips as to their use - like the v3 beta profiles requiring a -0.5 exposure compensation) ?
    2. Is it clear that the v4 beta profiles are, in general, better than their predecessors, or are there particular circumstances, shoot parameters for which they are particularly well suited ?
    3. I already have quite a number of camera profiles (including the "dcpTool untwist" ones - any real use for these ?) and I am now considering (depending on the answers to the first two questions) to clean-up my system and upgrade to the v4 beta profiles. Now, to do this, I'd like to be able to identify the photographs to which I applied a camera profile that I intend to get rid of. How can I identify such photographs ?

Many thanks in advance to you all gurus for your time and effort in answering the above.

Cheers.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2011 1:24 AM   in reply to b2martin_a

b2martin_a wrote:

Vit, I downloaded your version of the D700 Standard v4 profile and compared it with conversions of the same NEF files using ACR 6.6 with your Standard v4 (NX2 Standard aRGB v4) profile and NX2 using Standard profile.  I get excellent agreement between the two conversions.  I had noticed the difference in shadows when comparing conversions between ACR 6.6 Camera Standard v4 and NX2 Standard,  this difference is not there with your profile.  Do you plan on generating v4 profiles for the other 7 profiles for the D700?  If not, is this something I should be able to do?

Actually, I didn't plan making new profiles, I just wanted to make some independent testing by some members of this forum, to give people from Adobe some feedback about quality of profiles or possible bugs.

My tests are showing that their calibrating procedure for camera profiles can still be improved and the differences in shadows are not much smaller than in v3 profile - tone curve has to be more acute at the bottom.

Profiles v4 permit enough precission in shadows - if they are well calibrated

But, since it's Christmas time, maybe I can make one or two additional profiles for D700 (you are probably not using all profiles), so make your whishes 

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2011 4:48 AM   in reply to Vit Novak

Vit, thanks for the offer.  You are correct, I don't use all of the profiles.  I don't use Standard at all.  My priority on profiles is: 1. Neutral, 2. Portrait, and 3. D2X Mode 2. Neutral is what I use as the default in ACR. 

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2011 5:42 AM   in reply to Vit Novak

Hello, Vit

What a nice Xmas it is;) I use standard and landscape personally.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2011 6:52 AM   in reply to b2martin_a

Ok, here is D700 Christmas pack

http://www.sendspace.com/file/lzashi

I didn't check if they are ok (it's possible that I forgot to set some NX2 slider to the right position, as it is several months since I used it last time), so report if they match the NX2 output

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2011 9:00 AM   in reply to Vit Novak

Vit, thanks for the profiles.  I checked them out versus NX2 and get very good agreement. 

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2011 9:18 AM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Gosh....Vit...no way to have a New Year present for the D3X?? eheh just kidding....but...you never know!

In any case a Very Merry Christmas to you and all the people in the Forum!

All the best

Cristiano

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2011 12:56 PM   in reply to Vit Novak

Vit I wanted to make it clear, you second name is Santa, isnt it?;) Many thanks and wish you all the best!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2011 7:07 PM   in reply to MadManChan2000

I've never posted here before, but I just want to say how unbelievably happy and relived I am. I just spent the last hour and a half reading the adobe forums to try and see if there is an obscure solution out there to the purple/green issue. I've battled with this ever since there was the change over from beta1 profiles a few years ago. It has been a constant headache for me in delivering good final images to my clients.

And I just cannot believe the fix was actually in the last official ACR update - I honestly never expected it would happen. I also wish I'd found this forum post earlier this year! But for now I am one very very happy d700 user. FINALLY! (:

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2012 12:46 PM   in reply to cherryvega

Vit, could you put your v4 D700 standard profile on different site as megaupload is not working, I would like to give it a try if possible.

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 9:40 PM   in reply to MadManChan2000

MadMadChan - will you or anyone in the Adobe team be creating v2-4 profiles for Nikon D4 raw files. I recently bought a D4 and i was extremely dismayed at the fact Lr4 can't apply any of the D2x Modes (2-4) to its files. These profiles have been vital to my previous D3/Lr3 work process. They are simply amazing. Thanks. Keep up the good work.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 6:29 AM   in reply to MadManChan2000

With much grief I observed the same. No more D2X profiles from Nikon for D4 and D800. This indeed is very sad, I really loved these (with D700 and D300), D2X Mode 2 was awesome for dark skin IMO.

I think the creation of profiles by 3rd parties for other purposes than to get the camera "linear" (whatever this is, but that's what Passport for instance does, isn't it?) it has never really taken off.

There are many out there who make (and sell) Develop Presets, but barely any who would supply high quality profiles for cameras that give a certain "look".

I guess only with Adobe helping to trigger such a development with 3rd party developers this could become reality. The possibility of Camera Specific Profiles is a huge thing but it's living pretty much hidden away. I would love to see this change!

Thomas

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 7:53 AM   in reply to Thomas Geist

There certainly are others that supply certain looks, but mostly trying to imitate bygone films, both color and b&w. Nik comes to mind as does DxO. Nik is a plug-in but DxO isn't.

I wonder why Adobe just doesn't pick up those three profiles and use them. They aren't from the camera itself, unless you are using that model. I didn't see them available in Nikon's processor using the D90.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 8:07 AM   in reply to MadManChan2000

IOW, they are tweaked versions to deliver that look? I've never actually compared the D80 and 90 on an identical image but the 80 looks different than the 90 anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 4:35 AM   in reply to Hudechrome

Can you use the DNG Profile Editor and the technique explaned in Tutorial 2 to generate a D2X Mode 1, 2, or 3 profile for a camera that does not have a D2X profile to match one that does?  D2X profiles exist for the D700, so follow Tutorial 2 to generate one for the D4.  I assume this will required the unreleased DNG Profile editor since the existing one does not work for the new profiles. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 6:19 AM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Thanks Eric.  Any forecast when the new DNG Profile Editor will be avaialble?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 7:50 AM   in reply to b2martin_a

Hi all...I just finished reading the discussion..it seems that all the links for the D90 are dead due to illegal activities (megaupload)

Can someone help me please ? I use LR 4.1

Thank you

Roberto

|
    Mark as:
1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (3)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers