• Updated to the latest tablet driver
  • Updated to the latest adobe patch
  • Updated to the latest GPU driver
  • Set to 'Basic', in Graphic Processor Settings
  • Completely unchecked Graphic Processor Settings
  • Closed out of all programs/processes
  • restarted computer multiple times
  • cleaned computer of any possible virus threats
  • Thoroughly have read various FAQs/other members threads here or elsewhere on the Internet

My system:

Windows 7 Proffesional (32bit)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.10GHz

4.00 GBs RAM

Geforce 9600 GT

Wacom Tablet, intuos4

Notes:

• It lags significantly--huge problem for a illustrator, it makes it completely unusable. If I do a quick stroke, or multiple ones for colouring/so forth, it can take a good 3-10sec lag.
  • Everything else in PS seems to run fine. Start up is semi-quick, files load/save, filters work, etc. All at the same pace I was used to when I used CS2. Except brush strokes.
  • Other programs I got (Illustrator, Flash, etc) work fine. When I use brush/mouse for those, it does not lag.
  • It will lag even if I use my mouse.
  • The smaller the document/brush size, the better it works. However I cannot compromise with that, as I usually have to work big or use large brushes.
  • I only use one graphics card

I'm drawing to the conclusion that my GPU is either too outdated or is not properly supported. I can understand a lag at high resolution, but it was doing this at even a small one, e.g. 1000px by 1000px. Though I know I don't have the fanciet of computers, I was almost sure I met the requirements.

If anyone can help, that would be great.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jun 28, 2012 Jun 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While display driver glitches can, I'm pretty sure, break just about anything, I don't think the painting/brushing process in general uses the GPU much.

Have you checked for updated display drivers from nVidia.com?  I ask because some folks check Microsoft.com and those would be almost certainly outdated.

FYI, I can't invoke any noticeable lag in a 1000 x 1000 pixel image, even with a brush almost as big as the image, so it's not a systemic problem with Photoshop CS6.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other thing...  What do you have your Brush Spacing value set to?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I lied - two other things...  Are you using the Mixer Brush, and if so are you using Sample All Layers?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just realized I had some awkward typos on the topic page. Apologies.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is suspicious. I can understand if I had a outrageously huge canvas or some such, but a lot of times I don't even use the specific tools that may require a lot of GPU/Memory until the end of the drawing or when I do graphic design specific stuff, but not when I'm just drawing with a brush tool.

Anyway:

- I get all my display drivers directly from nVidia, not through Microsoft.

- Brush spacing value is set to 2% with the round point stiff; 25% with plain round (haven't fully tested out custom brushes yet)

- I have been using a regular brush--though I just tried my hand at the Mixer, and it lags as well

just something of note, with the 'Plain Round', it doesn't lag (I just realized this). With the fancier Round Point stiff, it does. I upgraded from CS2 so I am way out of the loop with the fancier stuff. Why can't I seem to be able to use that particular brush, compared to the older one? I obviously upgraded for the reason to use all these new features, it's a shame if I can't, especially since I feel that my computer can handle them (unless I'm wrong at that).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a preset brush called "Round Point Stiff", but I have one called "Round Point", with which I can set the stiffness.

Even with the largest size posssible, and with an increased count of bristles, etc. I can't get any visible lag in a 1000 x 1000 pixel 16 bits/channel image.

I have a reasonably modern, powerful workstation, but unless your computer was built 10 years ago I can't imagine going from "no perceptable lag whatsoever" to "3-10 seconds".  What I don't have is a tablet, I'm brushing with my mouse.

Just to verify we're on the same page, this is how I'm testing...

BrushTesting.jpg

I may have misspoke earlier.  I don't know for sure that the bristle brushes don't use the GPU.  I have a modest Visiontek ATI Radeon HD 5670 1 GB DDR5 video card that's a couple of years old.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a screenshot of my brushes, and me testing out the brushes:

cs6.png

8x10

With the blue, I tested out my 'Hard Round Brush' (the second one from the top); I don't get too much lag except if I make the brush super large (but still not wher I want it to be but won't be picky). Red I used the seventh one, this one will lag something terrible, even at a small size.

I've tested out a variety of brushes. It seems the 'older ones' work okay, while any that are new (or meant for my tablet?) will completely lag. I'm not sure if this is a pattern though, or if I should test out all my brushes and on different settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also been experiencing this or something similar and reported it in someone else's thread who also has. -> PS CS6 Extremely slow and sluggish. Brush tool delay.

Trying to find commonalities, it seems to affect very different systems and software configurations. Both ATI and Nvidia cards, 32 and 64 bit, OS X and Windows. Are you using a SSD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 29, 2012 Jun 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curiosity, did any of you seeing a brush slowdown enable "Allow Tool Recording" in the actions palette?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2012 Jul 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have it enabled.

I'm currently working on a new document and am experiencing less lags. It's 8 bit Lab instead of 16 bit Lab and ~200MB instead of ~900MB on disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Darn, that would have been too easy an answer (tool recording creates a LOT of data, and can slow down brushing).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth last night I went through a whole BUNCH of brushes and tried a lot of different stuff (basically, all the presets).  It all seemed pretty interactive, even with the biggest possible brushes.

Keeping in mind I don't have a tablet, I did notice that changing Spacing to 1% can cause some slowdown over the default 2% - and of course it makes strokes smoother in some cases.  At 1% and with the largest possible brush sizes the lag became noticeable, but overall I'd say the worst of the brushes was still pretty responsive.  I wouldn't say it pushed things into "unacceptable" territory.

But that got me to thinking - a mouse just moves a cursor.  A tablet does other stuff, like changing pressure, brush angle, possibly rotation...

Could using a tablet just generate a LOT more events or at a faster rate than a mouse?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel, we're talking about standard behaviour being impaired beyond normal. Slowdown with large and complex brushes is normal, but it's of a different nature. Simple brushes used with a tablet are expected to run smoothly. As I mentioned in the other thread, when I experienced the problem, it also affected very simple brushes, and even made opening a menu in photoshop visibly laggy. My problem may be different from the one described by the thread starter.

I'm not sure, but keeping within my RAM limit, the problem may not be appearing. Slower performance is of course expected when exceeding RAM, but it never presented in the way it seems to now. If anything, I expected faster performance after installing an SSD and more RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

For what it's worth last night I went through a whole BUNCH of brushes and tried a lot of different stuff (basically, all the presets).  It all seemed pretty interactive, even with the biggest possible brushes.

Keeping in mind I don't have a tablet, I did notice that changing Spacing to 1% can cause some slowdown over the default 2% - and of course it makes strokes smoother in some cases.  At 1% and with the largest possible brush sizes the lag became noticeable, but overall I'd say the worst of the brushes was still pretty responsive.  I wouldn't say it pushed things into "unacceptable" territory.

But that got me to thinking - a mouse just moves a cursor.  A tablet does other stuff, like changing pressure, brush angle, possibly rotation...

Could using a tablet just generate a LOT more events or at a faster rate than a mouse?

-Noel

it won't really replicate the same thing it if you're not using a tablet, because pressure sensitivity adds a whole other layer of complexity to everything the brush is doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2012 Jul 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh this is torture, i just want to draw away on this pretty new photoshop, and it's just not working. not good for waiting clients too. i think i've tried everything.

and just for the record on my part, I tried using brushes with a mouse, and I still had the exact same problem.

since i'm out of the loop with the new features, what is this allow tool recording deal anyway? i'm not sure what to do about that suggestion, honestly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the menu of Actions panel, ensure Allow Tool Recording is not ticked.

Tool-Recording.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thinking "outside the box"... 

You could conceivably throw a little money at the problem, and upgrade to a new video card to replace your aging 9600.  I'd suggest a VisionTek ATI Radeon HD 7750 as an example of a good, modern card that's about twice as powerful as your current card, and surely doesn't suffer from the same driver glitches.  Or if your computer has a capable power supply and you have a little deeper pocket, the 7850 model is quite a bit more powerful still.

I don't have a 7750 myself, but one of its predecessors, a less powerful 5670.  If I'm seeing smooth brush strokes with this card then it's pretty clear ATI cards run painting in Photoshop pretty well.

Of course, this assumes the problem isn't in the tablet driver or something else that will remain invariant.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for explaining that^; I just checked, and I do not have it ticked.

I'm leaning to the assumption that it's my card. It should have worked okay, but yes--aging and prone to less assistance when it comes to updates, plus glitches and what not. I have been wanting to upgrade for a long time anyway. I can think of no other options at this time. Though granted, I'm more of a Nividia person, no hard feelings on Radeon. (unless someone wants to encourage the use of a Radeon over Nivida?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lady Kaguya wrote:

Thanks for explaining that^; I just checked, and I do not have it ticked.

I'm leaning to the assumption that it's my card. It should have worked okay, but yes--aging and prone to less assistance when it comes to updates, plus glitches and what not. I have been wanting to upgrade for a long time anyway. I can think of no other options at this time. Though granted, I'm more of a Nividia person, no hard feelings on Radeon. (unless someone wants to encourage the use of a Radeon over Nivida?)

did switching off gpu accelleration make a difference to the tools you're using? i find it's more down to raw cpu horse power rather than gpu for brushstrokes... it may payoff waiting for the little bugfix upgrade photoshop gets a few months after release (if you can)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did fiddle with the option and it didn't change much--so i guess from that perspective it could just be some rare bug?

I can always tolerate waiting. I still have CS2 to draw. Like I said, all the other options do fine, and even some of the old basic brushes. It just seems like the more advanced ones (meant for the tablet?) cause the drama.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lady Kaguya wrote:

I did fiddle with the option and it didn't change much

Not to belabor the point, but very specifically:  Did you close and restart Photoshop after you turned off the [  ] Use graphics processor setting and before testing?  That could mask changes you'd otherwise see.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel--yes, I did, multiple times and for each option change I did. Good to think about that, but sadly, already tried.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2012 Jul 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lady Kaguyga, what is not standard on your machine? dual screen, is Ps installed at the default location? does an anti-virus run? any other programs?

Does the other who report issues also use AMD processors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe I haven't thought what drive it mattered I installed it on. Right now I have it in a non-default area, external drive. I'm assuming that's not the most prefered place to put it?

In terms of other programs, I've tried literally killing almost everything off. I have also tested it out concerning the usability when an anti-virus is on/off.

Might as well try to typical uninstall/reinstall routine, and move it to my main drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should always respect and honor the default installation location.

Adobe applications really want to be installed in their default location on your boot volume, the same volume where your OS resides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines