Where can I find the CS6 pdf Help Guide

May 10, 2012 9:17 AM

Latest reply: Noel Carboni, Jul 3, 2012 7:14 PM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 30, 2012 7:07 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Come on, guys...

From the link you provide:

"The CS6 link actually goes to a document that includes information about CS5, CS5.5/CS5.1, and CS6 versions of the application—all together. Unfortunately, there is no document for just the CS6 version of each application."

Sigh...  

I just clicked on your link again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 7:08 PM   in reply to station_two

Going out to dinner now, forgetting about CS6 for now...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 11:06 PM   in reply to JJMack

Continued in parallel thread here:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4531222#4531222

That is the intent for the documentation for CS6: that it be in the same document as CS5 and CS5.1...

Every single Adobe executive up the chain of command who is even partially responsible for that astonishing, feeble-minded decision henceforth deserves the unqualifed epithet of idiot.

Waaaay beyond angry!   

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 1:42 AM   in reply to mistermonday

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 2:21 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Thanks for the heads up.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 5:08 PM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

Duped again, CP!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 5:11 PM   in reply to Gerry A White

Gerry,

What you're reading, as evidenced by your link, is not the CS6-Only documentation, for that does NOT exist.  Read a bit more carefully before disseminating misleading information!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 11:26 PM   in reply to station_two

What is it then? Opens as PDF! Saves as PDF!

The link states from the CS6 help page it is available! Yet you appear to disagree with the evidence! It can be read offline I believe too! So just what is it then?

Shoot the messenger why don't you!

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,870 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 1, 2012 11:57 PM   in reply to Gerry A White

Wikipedia says that Adobe had 9925 employees as of 2009.  I read a while back that only 69 of them work on the Photoshop development team, but have no idea if that includes the documentation team.  I suspect not.  Obviously no one from that team would have time to read this forum.

BTW  Do any of the Adobe staff posting here know anything about this LINK   (second from last paragraph)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 12:38 AM   in reply to Gerry A White

Gerry, I replied to you in your other thread:  http://forums.adobe.com/message/4532809#4532809.

Gerry,

So you opened and saved it, fine.  But did you bother actually to read it?

What you have there is a disjointed collection of links to various non-Adobe and Adobe-sites describing some of the new features, stuck together on top of documentation for CS 5, CS 5.1 and CS5.5

It doesn't even have a bloody index, for Pete's sake!

It is a PDF, big deal, no one said it wasn't a lousy PDF.  What I called you on was your including the damn link in a manner and in a thread that passes it off as the promised CS6-Only HELP documentation, which it categorically is not.

What we have a right to expect is the actual HELP files in PDF format, or a proper User Guide like there has been in the past, and which we can consult for each and every feature of CS6 without having to wonder whether each individual line or paragraph actually relates to CS6 and not to one of the three earlier versions included in that bloated blurb, which does not even remotely constitute adequate documentation.

Your post was particularly offensive and misleading because you personally claimed to have been reading it, while in reality you were just "opening and saving it" and all you can say about it is that "it is a PDF!" Well, wooptydoo to you!

One thing is being the messenger, and another one is being complicit in a shameful scam perpetrated by Adobe on their customers.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 12:40 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Trevor,

Adobe staff sounds far from happy about this.  There's a startling admission in the other thread and a very restrained but unmistakable comment by an obviously unhappy Chris Cox.

Read posts 16 through 22 over there, please:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4531183#4531183

16.conroy2009,Community MemberCommunity Member Jun 30, 2012 9:18 PM
    The PDF photoshop_reference.pdf needs to be updated…

Apart from an introductory "What's new" section, the text and (blurry) images seem to be 99.99% CS5 documentation.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 12:54 AM   in reply to station_two

There is no need to be rude and abusive yourself either! Did I shout at you? -- "So you opened and saved it, fine. But did you bother actually to read it? " --

I was answering the original question in my original post!

"Your post was particularly offensive and misleading because you personally claimed to have been reading it, while in reality you were just "opening and saving it" and all you can say about it is that "it is a PDF!" Well, wooptydoo to you!"

Charming, very adult of you!

"One thing is being the messenger, and another one is being complicit in a shameful scam perpetrated by Adobe on their customers."

Get a life!!

You will obviously see this as a victory to yourself, if that pleases you then well done!

I do not intend to get into any further discussion with you regarding this anymore, you obviously have issues with Adobe over this and you treat me, a fellow human, the same! An apology for your rudeness would be nice, but I doubt you even think you have done anything wrong?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 1:09 AM   in reply to Gerry A White

Admittedly, I did bunch you together with the moronic Adobe corporate automatons.  Sorry, it appears I was mistaken.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 1:28 AM   in reply to station_two

Thank you.

I have to say looking at the advice you have given to other people on the forum etc. you need the manual? I am not being sarcastic or rude in saying this either!  I also agree Adobe appear to have taken a poor approach in recent times.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 1:37 AM   in reply to Gerry A White

Of course I need a manual!  Especially since I virtually skipped CS5, buying it at the last minute only to get CS6 for free.

But beside the actual need, I'm protesting as a matter of principle.  A User Guide is implicit when a corporation sells a license to use an application, and the strange document they delivered just to make the "by June" deadline was a slap in the face.

This has put the last nail in the coffin of my customer relationship with Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,870 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jul 3, 2012 4:34 AM   in reply to station_two

I hesitate to reawaken the sleeping monster, but someone put this page full of offline Adobe help files in a flickr group I use.

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2010/08/help-documents-for- creative-suite-5-pdf-and-html.html

In case anyone tries it, the Photoshop CS6 file is the same 18.85Mb PDF linked to through-out this thread.

[EDIT]  All the CS6 documents I have checked from that list, refer to both CS6 and CS5, and even CS5.5 where applicable.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 3:28 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

>I hesitate to reawaken the sleeping monster

I think a healthy nudge is in order. I just grabbed my "paper" version of the documentation from Photoshop v2 circa 1991 ( not CS2 ) and it puts the new PDFs to shame.  Form and function has been lost in a medium that should be offering more flexibility with the PDF format. Produce a great example of how to use and design a PDF user guide.  do better.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 3:34 PM   in reply to MacWright

It's the height of irony that a company which produces leading software for creating publications is so third-rate at producing documentation for their own software.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 3:40 PM   in reply to MacWright

Oh you bring back memories!

I too miss my printed paper manuals, and still have all for PS, AI, PM, Type Align, Streamline, etc., going back to about the time that you mention.

Best that I ever saw was the old WordPerfect about ver. 1.5, from the 80's. It was a lovely ring-binder, that could open flat on the desk. For ever screen-cap, they used a matte varnish. Just lovely. About once per quarter, I got my addenda, and replaced the old pages with any corrections. Now, that IS the beauty of electronic, on-line Help Files - immediacy to corrections. No more waiting for the postman, and no more removing/inserting correction pages.

PDF's are almost as flexible as the on-line Help, and nearly as immediate. I see wisdom there. Though I liked the Indexes in the printed manuals, Search is obviously more powerful with electronic files - so long as you know the word to Search for. Still, I miss my printed manuals.

Hope that all forms of the Help Files get done, and uploaded, for all of the CS6 programs. I cannot recall ever having these sorts of problems with any previous release.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 3:43 PM   in reply to conroy

It's the height of irony that a company which produces leading software for creating publications is so third-rate at producing documentation for their own software.

Pure speculation on my part, but I would venture that it is not just a matter of re-writing for CS6, and publishing it, but adding all the necessary, and possibly different documentation for the Creative Cloud delivery too. I have a feeling that a lot of "midnight oil" is being burned by the documentation teams.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 4:14 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I am just wondering how much impact the large staff-layoffs at Adobe at the end of last year have had on the current debacle over the CS6 Documentation?

The quality of the content in the current edition of the User's Manual (in PDF format) is deplorable and this is particularly hard on new Users of Photoshop who have not only had to pay full-price but have also had little previous experience in using this expensive and complex software.

Photoshop Users are doubly screwed because Peachpit Press has apparently declined to publish a new edition of the one really comprehensive guide: "Real World Photoshop CS6".

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 3, 2012 7:14 PM   in reply to CameraAnn

One has to wonder...  Sales of this software worldwide are huge.  Why does Adobe lay people off then release an incomplete product?  Is some executive taking home a few too many millions for all his "hard work"?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points