Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

dynamic link and precomps

Jul 4, 2012 4:19 AM

Tags: #after #effects #pro #premiere #link #dynamic #precomp

Maybe this should be in PPro forum - sorry if its wrong.

I've finished my PPro project and all is looking good. But there is one clip i'd like to work on it AE. So i did "replace with AE comp", worked on my AE project, saved and closed.

and all is good.

However, now i've tried more advanced work,

so i opened the AE project, did a few things, made a precomp, did a few more things, etc

saved and closed.

But PPro is still only getting the original comp.

All the subsequent work on the nested comps do not show up.

(the final comp is fine if i render it out, but i dont want that in PPro as i loose opacity)

How do i get PPro to see my final comp ?

(soory if any terminology is wrong)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 4, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to WebOfWebs

WebOfWebs wrote:

But PPro is still only getting the original comp.

All the subsequent work on the nested comps do not show up.

(the final comp is fine if i render it out, but i dont want that in PPro as i loose opacity)

How do i get PPro to see my final comp ?

Sounds like you haven't yet imported your new nested composition into PPro. In PPro File...Adobe Dynamic Link...Import AE composition and select the new composition. Your new comp will show up as an asset in the project panel. Drag it to your timeline and you should see it. You may want to delete the old comp off the timeline and replace it with the new one.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 9:12 AM   in reply to cfg_2451

Web, what version of PrP are you using?

Another way to do this is to open PrP, then select the AE DL clip, then select Edit Original. Then make your changes and save. Tab back to PrP and it should update.

CFG, he doesnt need to import anything in PrP. Thats the beauty of dynamic linking. In CS6 if I open up and exiisting AE project that is DL, any changes I make will show up when I bootup PrP.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 11:13 AM   in reply to lasvideo

lasvideo wrote:

CFG, he doesnt need to import anything in PrP. Thats the beauty of dynamic linking. In CS6 if I open up and exiisting AE project that is DL, any changes I make will show up when I bootup PrP.

If it's an old comp that's already been imported, then yes, that's true. If it's a new comp that hasn't yet been imported, even if it's in the same AE project, then you have to import it. It's not dynamically linked until it's imported.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 12:20 PM   in reply to cfg_2451

You've got a saving error somewhere in your workflow or you're working on the wrong comp in AE. There's no magic going on. There's no way that an edited comp that's nested in another composition or project is going to not reflect the changes. PPro cannot point to a composition that doesn't exist.

The only thing that could possibly be going on is that a Preview generated by PPro is being played back instead of the AE comp. Delete the preview and you will be good to go.

From PPro, select a clip, Open in AE

AE asks you to save the composition then opens up the clip as a comp. You can add as many elements inside AE as you want. You can add as many additional clips or groups of clips from PPro as you like. You just need to make sure that you are editing the right composition in AE. Save the AE project. Save the PPro project, and the next time you open AE and make a change, when you open PPro the change will be there. It can't work any other way.

From AE, Create a composition then import the comp into PPro and use it in a timeline. The same thing holds here. If you're editing the right composition, the one that's in the timeline, then the changes will show up.

If you fail to save along the way, or you are not editing the right composition then Dynamic link won't work. It's as simple as that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 12:53 PM   in reply to Rick Gerard

"so i opened the AE project, did a few things, made a precomp, did a few more things, etc

saved and closed."

CFG:

Well, based on my interpretation of what is being said here, it sounds like he opened the exiting DL project, made changes and saved it. If he saved it to the existing file then hes fine. If he saved it under a NEW file name, then you are right, there is no link.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 2:31 AM   in reply to WebOfWebs

Heres what i've discovered: When doing a dynamic link from PP to AE,

PP will link to the default comp thats automatically created. Any other comps created (precomps) are ignored.

From my expereince dynamic link works as designed by Adobe. I think you minsunderstand the way dynamic link operates. The link is made to the inital clip you select and send to AE.

If you create other versions, they will not automatically be DL. Whait I do is import those new AE versions ( with different name ) into the project and put them on the timeline. I then have crated a new DL for that new version.

If you are having failures, something might be problematic with your work flow. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points