Skip navigation
artist76
Currently Being Moderated

Template Problem

Jun 28, 2012 9:02 PM

I've just discovered that I can't change the page titles on pages that were made with a template in Dreamweaver. How do I make the page title an editable region in my Templates so that I can change the titles on my other pages?

What code do I need and exactly where do I put it? I don't know much about coding.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 29, 2012 12:05 AM   in reply to artist76

Hi,

When a Template is created, by default Dreamweaver wraps the Title tag within a Editable Region as shown below.

If the below heighlighted lines were removed, you can follow below steps to make the title editable in Tempalte Files:

1. Select the <title>...</title> tag statement

2. Press keyboard shortcut: Ctrl+Alt+V(on Windows) or Cmd+Option+V(on Mac)

3. You will be asked to provide a name for the Editable Region, click Ok button in the dialog

4. Dreamweaver wraps the Title tag statement with the Editable Region tags

5. Save the Template

6. Click on Update button in the Update Template Files dialog. This will update all associated files.

<!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="doctitle" -->

<title>Untitled Document</title>

<!-- TemplateEndEditable -->

Regards,

Yalpi Shiva Prasad

Adobe Dreamweaver Team

Adobe Systems Incorporated

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 5:12 AM   in reply to artist76

This symptom can often result from an improperly made template.  You could encounter such problems in legacy versions (i.e., versions older than CS5, I believe) of DW if you started your template building process with File > New > HTML Template.  In that case, the resulting template would not be structured correctly by omitting those editable regions in the head of the document.  What version of DW are you using, and what process did you follow to create the template? (CS 5, 5.5, and 6 does not have this problem)

Following Prasad's suggestion will allow you to enable editing the title in your child pages.  I would add that you must do this to the TEMPLATE file.  When you save that modified template, all of the child pages will be automatically updated with the new markup.  Before saving the template, however, you want to make sure that there is also a second editable region in the head of the template document called "head".  It is usually above, and close to the </head> tag, e.g.,

<!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="head" -->

<!-- TemplateEndEditable -->

</head>

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 4:28 AM   in reply to artist76

The correct steps are:

1.  Create your page.

2.  When ready to save it, use FILE | Save As Template... to save the page as a Dreamweaver Template.

Pretty simple, huh?

By the way, you say you are using DW4 but do you really mean that or is it DWCS4?  Also, if you can let us see the code on your template page, we can tell you explicitly what changes to make to fix your template and its associated child pages.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 11:19 PM   in reply to artist76

Murray told you all that you need... once you HTML page will be saved as a template, just wrap your <title> tag by the needed template syntax.

did you try ? I don't have a DW4 under hand to test ?... is that it does not work ?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2012 5:10 AM   in reply to artist76

Template syntax and usages changed significantly when Dreamweaver MX was introduced (after DW4).  So you will need to use legacy syntax when you add your editable regions.  Check the code below for how the top section of your TEMPLATE file should look -

<html>

<head>

<!-- #BeginEditable 'doctitle' -->

<title></title>

<!-- #EndEditable -->

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

<!-- #BeginEditable 'head' -->

<!-- #EndEditable -->

</head>

DW4's template syntax is the same as what was also used (copied) in GoLive and in FrontPage.  Should you upgrade to a more recent version of DW, your syntax will be recognized by that upgraded version, but the new syntax will not be recognized by DW4, so be careful when you switch.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 5:25 AM   in reply to MurraySummers

Thank you so much.  I've been struggling with this all morning as I also (unfortunately) only have a really old version of Dreamweaver, but this worked perfectly.  Thanks for your time and help.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points