Skip navigation
tomliuwhite
Currently Being Moderated

question about color changing

Jul 3, 2012 9:46 PM

I am using PS CS6 on my win7 computer.

This is my issue: I want to change the blue color of this button(http://photo.163.com/tomliutest/#m=2&aid=240826374&pid=7735901256) to this green color(http://photo.163.com/tomliutest/#m=2&aid=240826374&pid=7735901240). I want to have the color exactly the same. So

1. I open the green color button, in Image->Adjustments->Replace color, I got the property of the color, which is: H:110 S:62 B:73 R:90 G:186 B:71, L:68 a:-46 b:48 C:67 M:0 Y:99 K:0 #5aba47, I wrote down these values,

2. I open the blue color button, in Image->Adjustments->Replace color, replacement->result, I input all the values of green color, and I save the file. They are all png format.

3. I open the one I just made(http://photo.163.com/tomliutest/#m=2&aid=240826374&pid=7735871516), I found the value is different from what I have input, the value was changed to H:110 S:60 B:72 R:91 G:183 B:71, L:67 a:-44 b:46 C:68 M Y:99 K:0 #5bb749

So why this happened(value changed)? And if I want to make the color of two buttons EXACTLY the same, is there any way I can do it in PS? Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 3, 2012 11:29 PM   in reply to tomliuwhite

Please post your images on this Forum.

cameraIconInsertImage.jpg

I consider Replace Color a professionally negligible function.

I would recommend a Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer (if necessary with a Layer Mask) and while editing that keeping an eye on the measurements in the Info Panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 3:46 AM   in reply to tomliuwhite

To simply change one specific colour to another specific colour, there is nothing wrong with using Replace Color. It is designed to do exactly what you want.

I expect the colour numbers change after saving then re-opening is due to translation between colour spaces. That is not going to be prevented by using a Hue/Saturation adjustment instead of Replace Color.

To prevent that change, you can either maintain colour space throughout workflow or specify that numbers be preserved when moving between spaces.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 4:49 AM   in reply to conroy

I expect the colour numbers change after saving then re-opening is due to translation between colour spaces. That is not going to be prevented by using a Hue/Saturation adjustment instead of Replace Color.

The OP has not provided enough information to prove or disprove this assumption but its certainly a possibility.

And as the OP has not posted the images here I don’t know if it’s about photographic images or illustrations with basically flat color areas …

Edit: Also, the OP does not explicitly state whether the colors are of the intended values at the end of step 2 and before re-opening the file in step 3, so I currently still suspect the chosen operation might be the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 6:14 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

Edit: deleted

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 6:16 AM   in reply to conroy

And with a graphic so simple a Hue/Saturation Layer would not be the ideal solution indeed.

I would rather use a Solid Color Layer (or rather two) in this case.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 6:20 AM   in reply to tomliuwhite

You need to read up on colour management. There have been posts in the last couple of days in this forum with links to information on the subject, so I'd start there. In Edit > Colour Settings... you change the options for converting colours. When you mouse over an entry, a description appears.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 6:27 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

I would rather use a Solid Color Layer (or rather two) in this case.

Why do you recommend that he recreate the single colour artwork with Solid Color Layers instead of just a couple of clicks with Replace Color?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 6:30 AM   in reply to conroy

Better editability later on, less fuss with anti-aliased edge pixels of the white text, … 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 6:40 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

c.pfaffenbichler wrote:

Better editability later on, less fuss with anti-aliased edge pixels of the white text, … 

That's quite true, but I don't see where that fits into the stated requirement of the OP, i.e.  merely change one colour to another and maintain the colour after closing and re-opening the file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 6:48 AM   in reply to conroy

The OP seems to be somewhat inexperienced with Photoshop, so I feel it’s OK to point out where they could do better work beyond what they figured out themselves is beyond their current understanding.

Which might have been that they converted to sRGB on saving the png, as you seem to have suspected earlier already.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 7:03 AM   in reply to conroy

Regarding the anti-aliased edge pixels a screenshot of the png with »Replaced Colors« and of a version with Solid Color Layers.

buttonColorsScr.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 7:36 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

Thanks! Although Replace Color doesn't leave these miscoloured pixels if you make one or two additions to the sampled colour, I have to agree with you that the best result is achieved by recreating the artwork. I've just tried with Replace Color and it doesn't work as well as I recalled.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points