Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

New Computer Help

Jun 30, 2012 1:31 PM

I have been reading through these forums for the past couple of weeks and I just want to first say thanks to all the people that post here, it has really helped in me getting to this planned build I have now .

I primarily use Premire and After Effects so this PC needs to be good at both of them. I currently have CS 5.5 but I intend to get CS 6 as soon as my college offers it. I work mostly with footage I get from the program FRAPS to make music videos. I don't know exactly what kind of codec FRAPS files are so I have no idea if what I have built is way too powerful or not enough, I do know that the files are .avi, have a 1920 X 1080 resolution, and are pretty much completely uncompressed (They are roughly 1GB/min). If anyone here knows more about FRAPS then that would be great. Since I make music videos I end up using lots of very shot clips and many different layers at a time. My budget for this entire project is around 3 - 4 grand.

My current planned build is this

Mobo: Asus P9x79 WS

CPU: i7-3930K

GPU: GTX 670, 4GB, EVGA SC

RAM: 2 sets of Ripjaws Z series 32 (4x8GB) 240-pin DDR3 1600

PSU: Corsair Gold AX1200

Hard disks: 1 Intel 520 120GB ssd SATA III, 3 Seagate Barracuda 3TB SATA III, 2 Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA III, and a 2TB external which I might make internal.

Raid Card: ???? (help)

Case: CoolMaster Cosmos II

Cooling: Corsair H100

This whole setup costs just under $3500 at the moment and I already have any other peripherals or software. I do plan to be over clocking.  Most of the questions I still have are mainly is this necessary/appropriate type and by that I mean will I notice a difference because I know that adobe can use everything I throw at it. First off, is the 4GB GTX needed or will the 2GB do, also is 64GB ram overkill and does it work with everything else.

Disk Setup

This has been by far the most confusing aspect of this build for me and after reading harm's Generic Disk Setup this is what I came up with.
Use the SSD as the boot drive and have Adobe on it

Have the 3  Barracuda 3TB in raid 5 and put media and projects there.

Have the 2  Barracuda 1TB in raid 0 for the Pagefile and Media cache.

Take apart my 2TB external and make it internal using my Mobo's built-in SSD cache to store the Previews and Exports.

The external drive is something I already have and figured why not use it as well, everything else is still just planned and not final in any way and I am completely open for any kind of suggestions at all. You will also note my lack of a Raid Card which I know I need but I cannot figure out what I need out of one or how to compare them to each other so any advice on what Raid Card to get would be super helpful.

Any other comments or suggestions are more than welcome

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 30, 2012 1:45 PM   in reply to Zanzaben

>don't know exactly what kind of codec FRAPS files are

Some past messages that may help... some may not be specific to PPro

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/871095

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/943772

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/967201

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 2:28 PM   in reply to Zanzaben

First of all, this looks pretty good. However, raid5 using an on-board controller is lousy and the mobo does not have sufficient SATA3 connections to make that work, so you are delegated to using SATA2 ports.

I'm not familiar with Fraps, apart that is mostly used by gamers to record screen play and often in combination with Matroska. Well, Matroska does not work with PR, so if that is the case, you need to convert first before you can edit. But when you say a data rate of around 1 GB/min that will require a lot of memory and a serious disk setup. So, from that point of view 64 GB Ram is not overkill, but your disk setup may need some work.

I would suggest a good raid controller, either Areca ARC-1882 or LSI and at least one or more additional Barracuda 3 TB disks. You won't need the storage space, but the additional disks in the same array will make the volume much faster and you can use the SATA3 connections on the controller in combination with the 64 MB cache on each drive very well.

Last, make sure that when you setup your system, you only use the boot disk, Intel 520, for reading and not for writing. So put your page file on another volume, set the Windows environment variables to point to another volume and do not let Adobe use your C: drive. If you do not do that, then you better get a Corsair Performance Pro SSD, that is faster and shows less performance degradation in the stable state.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 12:28 AM   in reply to Zanzaben

AVC-I is an easy codec, it is the same as the Panny P2 uses in the 250/255 and higher. The data rate is even very low in comparison to those cameras, so the quality has been compromised.

The much more expensive iX-12-4G model has 12 ports and 4 GB cache memory. The more affordable 8 ports model has a fixed cache of 1 GB. I think that the 8 port model is quite enough for your purposes. Instead of 3 x 3TB drives, you can better have 6 x 1TB in a raid3/5/6/ array because it will be much faster and you don't need all the storage space. It will be about equally expensive.

Two places to have a look at: Adobe Forums: Raid Performance and Rebuild Issues and Adobe Forums: Planning / building a new system. Part 1

In the second article move over to the Disks, PSU tab and expand the Disks (Ouch...) section.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 11:03 AM   in reply to Zanzaben

Yes. It looks very good.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 10:05 AM   in reply to Zanzaben

OCZ has lost its immaculate reputation with the Vertex, and other SSD's, so I'm a bit wary with their other products. Corsair OTOH has done a fabulous job according to reviews, even when new to several disciplines like SSD's, PSU's and cases. Mind you, the difference between 1200 W and 1250 W is very small. I don't know where they got the basic components from. If it is Seasonic, you are OK, but if it is a third rate supplier, you may be better of with Corsair.

A good alternative to the pricey Performance Pro can be the much more affordable Samsung 830 SSD.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points