Skip navigation
Ron Bob
Currently Being Moderated

Lr 3.6 freeezes when trying to import images

Jul 1, 2012 5:27 AM

Lr 3.6 & Vista     When trying to import images to Lr 3.6, Lr freezes--it seems to be fighting with the previous screen (of the last set of images) against the screen that shows the images about to be imported, and I can't seem to un-block either screen.   The tabs can't be operated, and I can't close the application either.    What do I need to do to unfreeze or unblock this problem?   This has occurred on both my Laptop and Desktop.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 1, 2012 1:36 PM   in reply to Ron Bob

Hi Rob.  Perhaps start by updating to the latest version?  I don't mean to pay for 4, I mean to allow the version you have to update itself to the latest free revision.  3.6 was not the last round of bug fixes available to you.

Go to Help > Check for Updates....

See if that resolves your issue.  Let us know if not and we'll go from there.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 9:16 AM   in reply to Ron Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jul 4, 2012 7:43 AM   in reply to Ron Bob

I wouldn't want to put you off buying LR4, but let's try to fix LR3 first.

There are some initial troubleshooting steps you can try:

Resetting the preferences file would be a good place to start.  On Windows, the easiest way to find it is to go to Edit menu > Preferences > Presets tab and press the Show Lightroom Presets Folder button. You can also navigate directly to C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Preferences\  Whichever way you choose to find that folder, close Lightroom before going any further. In the Lightroom\Preferences folder will be a Lightroom 3 Preferences.agprefs file—move it to another folder or delete it, and then restart Lightroom.

Also, are you importing from the hard drive, a card reader or a camera cable?  And what kind of files are you trying to import?  And what else is connected to your computer?  (I've heard recently of a particular phone causing issues, for example)

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jul 4, 2012 11:51 AM   in reply to Ron Bob

It should be in the Preferences subfolder Rob.  The AppDate\Roaming is a hidden folder, but the Show LR Presets Folder button should take you straight there.... that is, unless you have Store Presets with Catalog checked, now I think about it.  Is that option checked?  It should be next to the button.  If so, uncheck it for the minute.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 12:02 PM   in reply to LRuser24

I apologize.  I thought for sure I had hit 3.7 before moving to 4, but I must have confused it with something else.

Follow Victoria's suggestions for now.  She's an even bigger wizard than I.  Something you might test in addition is putting the memory cards in a card reader, rather than from the camera itself.

The AppData folder, being hidden, means that Windows will not show it to you even though it's present.  It's a normal behavior and nothing to worry about.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jul 15, 2012 10:37 AM   in reply to Ron Bob

Hi Ron, sorry, I missed your update.

"another screen of the previous window suddenly imposes itself on top of the importing window"  - I'm not sure I understand this.  Any chance of a screenshot?

Yes, delete or rename the other preferences files too, as LR picks up old preferences.

What else is connected to your computer?  Any network drives?  Offsite storage like JungleDisk?

I'd second Gavin's recommendation to try a card reader, at least to exclude the camera connection as an issue.  There are different drivers involved.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jul 17, 2012 12:17 PM   in reply to Ron Bob

Yes, if your presets were previously stored with the catalog, you'll need to recheck the box otherwise all of your presets will be missing.  Otherwise, I'd usually suggest leaving it unchecked for simplicity's sake.

Let's hope it carries on working!  Yes, please do report back.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points