Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 10 AVCHD HG1920 (.m2ts) playback is jerky

Aug 9, 2012 9:27 AM

Hi

Installed Premiere Elements 10 the day before yesterday and have tried to carry out a small project using material from my Panasonic SD900 camcorder. The shots are in AVCHD HG1920 (.m2ts) format. When I place them on the My Project Panel and play them they are jerjy and shimmer. I've tried playing individual clips back by double clicking them in the task panel and they play fine. I was given to understand that Premiere Elements 10 can cope with AVCHD formats. It's early days but I I am not at the moment that impressed with the product.

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 4, 2012 9:57 AM   in reply to lesconstable

AVCHD requires a STRONG computer to edit "smoothly" with an i7 CPU and, for the 64bit version running under Windows 7 64bit, enough ram for "smooth" operation

You also need at least TWO 7200rpm hard drives... 1st for Windows and all programs, 2nd for video files

More information needed for someone to help... click these links and provided the requested information

-http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840

-http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416679

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 11:11 AM   in reply to lesconstable

I also have two ATI Radeon HD5800 series graphics cards in crossfire conguration.

Unfortunately, PrE cannot use Crossfire, or SLI (nVidia), and that/those configuration(s), can cause issues with Adobe programs, like PS, Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro. I am not saying that it IS the problem, but it can be.

one 1.5 TB HDD which contains Premiere Elements 10 and all videos.

I assume that this means that PrE is installed on your D:\, or perhaps E:\ then. That configuration has proved problematic for some.

The CPU and RAM should be adequate for AVCHD.

Now, when you drag your Clips to the Timeline, do you have red lines above them, before you do any editing? If so, then there is a mis-match between the Source Files and the Project's Preset. Note: with many editing functions, such as Effects, any overlay, Transitions, etc., then red lines WILL appear. I am talking about when the Clip is first dragged to the Timeline.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to lesconstable

I can't remember if this saved link is about Premiere Elements or PPro... but the advice is the same... do NOT install to anything besides the C drive

Install to C only see #10 http://forums.adobe.com/message/4474584

I don't have SSD, but I have Win7 Pro 64bit and CS5 Master Collection and MS Office and lots of smaller prorgrams, plus the usual My Documents folder, and I only use about 60gig of space

So, you should be able to put PE10 on your SSD drive

I do have my Windows page/swap file set to a different drive, and I also followed the advice here for cache files http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1007934?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 11:48 AM   in reply to lesconstable

I do not get any red lines above the clips in the Timeline when I place them.

That is good news, and indicates that your Source Footage matches your Project's Preset. When there ARE mis-matches, one can encounter various problems, including playback issues. We can now rule that out of the mix.

Thanks for the info, and please let us know if disabling Crossfire helps. As I mentioned, that, and SLI, have hampered some Adobe users - though not all. I am just looking for possibilities.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 12:23 PM   in reply to lesconstable

OK, and again, thank you for reporting.

I assume that you have installed the latest Catalyst driver for your ATI/AMD cards. Is that correct?

Not sure where to look now, but maybe John T., or another, will have some ideas to explore.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 1:07 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Nope, no links for GPU drivers

Since ATI is now owned by AMD, I will guess you start at http://www.amd.com and find a support/driver download page

I do know that (for my nVidia card) going to http://www.nvidia.com and selecting an appropriate link works

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 1:09 PM   in reply to lesconstable

>Driver up to date

Is that based on going to the appropriate AMD/ATI page?

Do NOT rely on Windows update... it is very often wrong when it comes to device drivers

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 4:45 AM   in reply to lesconstable

Export your project (within the Share tab) to your intended format and see how it looks in a media player, or on a proper TV with a dedicated player.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 6:53 AM   in reply to lesconstable

Great news. It's always difficult to gauge quality from within a Non Linear Editor because of the strain on the system, especially with HD. While frustrating it's always worth burning a test disk (I use re-writeables for this part of my workflow) and checking it out on a 'real' TV and Player. Most times, unless there is a real underlying problem with your PC, it looks fine.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers