Skip navigation
MeagonS
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom-Opening Catalog:DSC

Jul 4, 2012 12:39 PM

Tags: #catalog #lightroom3 #lr #3.6

Help.  When I try to open Lightroom it tells me " Lightroom - Opening Catalog:DSC_0003.JPG.lrcat  " but then it gives me an error window saying that Lightroom is unable to open and windows wants to close it down and will let me know if a solution is available: (basically)...and it closes and nothing else happens.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 4, 2012 12:57 PM   in reply to MeagonS

You’ve likely tried to open an image with LR instead of starting up LR and importing the image into LR.  The drag-and-drop target file type for LR is a catalog not an image so if you drag-and-drop an image onto LR it’ll create a catalog with that name and not know what to do with it since it is an image.

To fix things, hold down the Alt key while you start up LR and it’ll ask what catalog to open then pick another one, or create a new catalog if this is your first time starting LR.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 4, 2012 12:58 PM   in reply to ssprengel

And if ssprengel's fix doesn't work (which I suspect, from previous testing, that it might not) the next thing to do is to reset the preferences file. See this link for instructions:

http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthread.php?14226-Resetting-%28or-Tr ashing-%29-the-Lightroom-Preferences-file

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points