Skip navigation
lilia@ 196 posts
Jan 31, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Placing tiffs

Jul 4, 2012 12:23 AM

The two images below are identical but were placed on the layout differently.

The left was placed and then the alpha channel used via the clipping path

The right was placed with the alpha channel selected in show import options.

Is there a way to get the left image to look like the right image after placing or is show import options the only way to do it?

image.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 4, 2012 3:24 AM   in reply to lilia@

Best I can think of is that when Relinking via the Links Panel one can choose the Import Options anew.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 12:48 PM   in reply to lilia@

have you tried placing it with 'show import options' unchecked?

and NOT placing it in a frame.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 5:48 PM   in reply to lilia@

indesign doesn't 'need' a frame to place (what I assume is a Photoshop file-saved as a .PSD or a tif with 'alpha channel(s)' selected)--yes you can use a frame (it's for all the former Quark users)--but is not needed.

just select the 'place' command--make sure 'show import options' is unchecked--your cursor will be 'loaded' with the image--then click anywhere on the page or pasteboard--if drop shadow isn't showing--open the picture box more with the selection tool (not the 'direct' selection tool).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 6:52 PM   in reply to lilia@

"i need to know how to apply the alpha channel after placing it so it appears exactly as it does on the right (which was done with show import options selected... if that makes sense."

perhaps I misunderstood your question (the answer below is the best I can do)

you need to get to the Import Options dialog box again… and the easiest way to do that is to relink the image to itself. That is, select the image in the Links panel, click Relink, turn on the Show Import Options checkbox, then choose again from the Alpha Channel pop-up menu.

source:

http://indesignsecrets.com/choosing-a-different-transparency-alpha-cha nnel-for-an-image.php

good luck--am out

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points