Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Preferences Transfer CS 5.5 to CS 6

Jul 5, 2012 6:55 AM

I was wondering how to go about transfering my preferences, including my shortcuts, from InDesign CS 5.5 to CS 6?  I tried copying the following list of files and folders from Win 7: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version [#]\en_US\Cache

Preference files/folders copied from InDesign CS 5.5 folder to CS 6 include:

• InDesign Recovery folder
  • Scripting Support folder
  • FindChangeData
  • FindChangeDataTmp
  • FontMaskCache
  • idletask log
  • InDesign ClipboardScrap
  • InDesign DragDropScrap
  • InDesign SavedData

When I was done I tried opening InDesign CS 6 and it clearly did not transfer anything. Nothing was the same as before. Not even the shortcuts.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 5, 2012 7:21 AM   in reply to sperry1975

Please see Replace Your Preferences for the paths to both the InDesign Defaults and InDesign SavedData files (the only two files you need to move to match your prefs). Custom keyboard shortcuts and workspaces are both saved in subfolders of the directory where InDesign Defaults is stored. Moving workspaces has been reliable for me, but be careful about moving shortcut sets. CS4 shortcuts are not compatible with later versions without running a script (John Hawkinson wrote one to do this, but I don't seem to have a link). I don't know if CS5 and 5.5 shortcuts will work in CS6. Symptoms of a problem are keys that no longer work as expected, and perhaps crashing.

In that link you'll also find information on backing up and moving other presets.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points