Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign CS5.5 / CS6 crash under Mountain Lion DP4

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2012 Jun 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I've a "developer mac" at my office, where we're testing Mountain Lion. On this computer we also have two Adobe installations (CS5.5 and CS6). Until the last OS update, all Adobe applications seem to run without any problem worthy of note.

After upgrading to Mountain Lion DP4, both versions of Indesign have started to have a very annoying problem.

Package creation and deletion of a page crash the program.

It seems the crash is caused by the warning dialog that Indesign would be opened before any of the operations described above (the classic window with the warning sign).

This is the crash log (only the interesting part):

Process:         Adobe InDesign CS6 [1856]
Path:            /Applications/Adobe InDesign CS6/Adobe InDesign CS6.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe InDesign CS6
Identifier:      com.adobe.InDesign
Version:         8.0.0.370 (8000)
Code Type:       X86 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [205]
User ID:         502

Date/Time:       2012-06-14 12:08:51.360 +0200
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.8 (12A239)
Report Version:  10

Interval Since Last Report:          38738 sec
Crashes Since Last Report:           9
Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  33673 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   8
Anonymous UUID:                      F499ED7E-8ADB-4CFC-80C2-77AA055AE547

Crashed Thread:  0  Main Thread  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000003

VM Regions Near 0x3:
--> __PAGEZERO             0000000000000000-0000000000001000 [    4K] ---/--- SM=NUL  /Applications/Adobe InDesign CS6/Adobe InDesign CS6.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe InDesign CS6
    __TEXT                 0000000000001000-0000000000005000 [   16K] r-x/rwx SM=COW  /Applications/Adobe InDesign CS6/Adobe InDesign CS6.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe InDesign CS6

Thread 0 Crashed:: Main Thread  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   com.apple.HIServices               0x95e2eec0 ISPixMap::CalculateBoundary(Rect&) const + 918
1   ???                                0xffffffff 0 + 4294967295

The crashed thread is the same in both cases; when trying to export to package or when trying to delete a page from layout (blank or full, no matter). Anyone has already encountered the same problem? Any idea about it?

Thank you.

M.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2012 Jun 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amen. Having exactly the same issue. Short term fix for me is to delete everything on the page before deleting it.

Updating links is crashing ID as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2012 Jun 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mmmm sometimes empty the pages is not enough. If you want to be sure I've found a temporary workaround...

1 - Deleting pages: select menu Layout -> Pages -> Delete Pages

enter the page you want to delete and press Delete using ALT+click.

This works also with the small trashcan icon on layout pane. Press it with ALT+click. No dialog box appears, no crash.

2 - Creating Package: deselect Include Font and confirm. No dialog box appears, no crash.

Maybe if you use ALT+click when updating links you'll avoid the crash. I'll try...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2012 Jun 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Updating links is crashing ID as well."

Remove the Search for Missing Links in This Folder - fix the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for response MortenOSX, but I don't understand your suggestion. Can you elaborate?

Also, does ID6 in DP4 crash for you when you export to PDF?

I rolled back to DP3 where everything works fine but I see there's another Developer update today. I might try that to see if it works, but later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

REMOVE checkmark in Remove the Search for Missing Links in This Folder.

Update image one by one

Skærmbillede 2012-06-19 kl. 08.00.15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2012 Sep 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you mortenosx; that fixed the link issue I was having!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you run Suitcase?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or any other third-party plugins?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes i'm running Suitcase Fusion (latest version with CS6 plugins). This is the only external plugin I installed.

But I've already tried to use another font manager. It was the first test I made, once discovered this problem... I've tried FontXplorer but the bug remains. Tried Fontcase, but nothing change...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do realize of course this could easily be an Apple bug.

Try the Apple Developer forums.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob Levine wrote:

You do realize of course this could easily be an Apple bug.

Try the Apple Developer forums.

Bob

I think Apple has deprecated some OS functions that ID still want to use.

IMHO many of similar problems will disappear definitively when InDesign will be rewritten completely in Cocoa...

It seems that InDesign is the only application that has not implemented the changes made on Photoshop and Illustrator, like a more modern UI and 64bit code...

However I'll try to ask this in the ADC forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn’t argue that at all.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob Levine wrote:

I wouldn’t argue that at all.

Bob

Agree... I'm just an incurable optimist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try removing, not just disabling the Suitcase plugin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter Spier wrote:

Did you try removing, not just disabling the Suitcase plugin?

Yep. Nothing changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2012 Jun 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues with ML DP4 and Indesign CS6.

ANYTIME a warning dialog pops up, it crashes my indesign. I wonder if this bug actually has to do with the ML's dialog class, or warning dialog class to be more specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 12, 2012 Jul 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2012 Jul 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since installing Mountain Lion yesterday, my CS6 Illustrator and Photoshop are working fine - HOWEVER, my Indesign is not. It is crashing at the opening stage when the Indesign graphic appears. Causing me major problems with work today. Does anyone else have the problem, or does anyone know of a fix?? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that this might be the same issue as reported in this KB doc:

Please take a look at the published article and see if the steps and the files work for you.

http://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/indesign-crashes-blank-dialog-boxes .html

Let us know if it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem. Installed Mountain Lion and now InDesign CS6 won't open – it crashes right after the opening splash graphic appears. I have completely uninstalled InDesign and re-installed, but that didn't help. InDesign CS4 works fine but, of course, I can't open more recent docs with that.

(I don't think the suggestion above, from Vikrant Rai, addresses this problem. I tried to run the script provided there but it wouldn't run saying "This is not required in Mac OS 10.8.)

So I too am stuck with an unusable InDesign CS6... any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We could maybe tell more from a crash report. Post it on pastebin.com and put a link here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2012 Aug 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone get the crashing issue sorted out? I'm having the issue still on MacOSX10.8 and CS6. It seems I have uninstalled and reinstalled InDesign more times than should be necessary. There doesn't seem to be a solid reason why it's not working. One day it works fine, the next it doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you follow the steps in the link from post 21?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not because of post 22 saying it didn't address the problem. It seems to be for 10.7.4 and I'm running 10.8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines