Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can layers be preserved when placing an image onto another image / how to batch process a group of a

Jul 5, 2012 9:40 PM

I am trying to figure out how to automate/make an action that will allow me to batch place an image onto numerous other images much like a watermark, but with only adjustment layers and their layer masks. 

I have been scouring the web for any information on this and not finding much on it.

Is this possible and if so, how can it be done?

Thank you for your assistance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 5, 2012 11:10 PM   in reply to thejeremiah

First off Adjustment Layers (while a great feature) are a bad fit for some tasks that may necessitate working across Color Modes for example, so if something is possible with pixel content instead that may be advisable.

Can the Masks of the Adjustment Layers be expressed as Paths?

Because then recreating the Adjustment Layers (with the Paths included in the Action) would seem a vialble solution.

Layer > Duplicate Layers (for easier selecting maybe put all the Adjustment Layers in one Group) will likely not prove useful with Actions/Batching.

Scripting the Task would be an option.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop/photoshop_scripting

Could you please post a screenshot with the Layers Panel visible?

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 6, 2012 12:23 AM   in reply to thejeremiah

thejeremiah wrote:

I am trying to figure out how to automate/make an action that will allow me to batch place an image onto numerous other images much like a watermark, but with only adjustment layers and their layer masks. 

Is this possible and if so, how can it be done?

Perhaps if you explain what you trying to accomplish rather then describing how you want to do that something.  For what you describe does not seem to make sense to me.  Yes you can place an image onto other images.  However you can not have an image that is only adjustment layers and associated layer mask. There needs to be a layer to be able to add an adjustment layer. It is not possible to have a document without any layers.  You can have a document with an empty layer and add adjustment layers to it that have layer mask. However there are no pixels that will be adjusted or masked for the document is empty. If you place an empty image with adjustment layers that have layer mask you will be pasting in no pixels that have been adjusted and masked you will be pasting in nothing.

You can paste in image or place in an image into a document that has adjustment layer with mask that will be adjusted and masked by the adjustment layers. However to save this document over the file that was placed in or the source of the image pasted in would require a Photoshop script it could not be done by an action alone.

So describe what you want to do not how you want to do it. We may be able come up with a way you can automate what you want to do with an action.

My crafting action package may be of some help it contains a sample watermarking action the will add three watermark layers to any size image document sized for the document  using three different methods

Crafting Actions Package

Contains

Example

http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/WM900x600.jpg

Download

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers