LR 4.1 latest ver.
I post process a CR2 file in Lightroom. I then add text to the Title field.
Export as jpg using a pre-defined export preset.
I then notice that I have a typo in the Title field.
Correct the typo / text in the CR2 parent file using Lightroom.
Re-export again (same export preset)... answering yes to overwrite file (and Yes to all metadata).
Surprise ...surprise... the Title data is not updated in the exported file (ie by viewing the metadata in the g or e view.
I delete the jpg
Export again ...yes... same preset export settings.
Metadata on jpg is correct.
So, it looks to me that Lightroom is not updating the metadata when exporting and overwriting an existing image.
Is this normal or a bug.
Looking forward to your comments / views.
I run into this all the time, and have for a few versions now. If you do a "Synchronize Folder..." after the latest export, the metadata will be updated in the library. The problem also shows up if you change the image size, crop, etc. Pretty silly error IMO...you would think LR could do its own housekeeping after all these years.
I have observed this, too - it's been this way for a long time.
If I have to update the title or the caption in an exported photo I do therefore one of the two:
a) update the title in both images separately;
b) delete the exported photo, update the title in the original, and export again.
Yes, deleting the original export(s) and re-exporting also avoids the problems. Which shows that when you tell LR to overwrite files in the export destination, it (incorrectly) assumes that nothing has changed and ignores doing a metadata update.
Great to know that I am not imagining the problem. Sad to see such a basic fault.
I noticed other issues as well. The previews show the old image, while the jpg is correct. Looks like there is a fundimental flaw with completeness of export and overwrite.
Dunno, but here's the place to check and/or report:
Europe, Middle East and Africa