Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Juan Z
Currently Being Moderated

ACR 6.7 and Photoshop CS6 cannot read Nikon D800 files. How come?

May 29, 2012 9:42 AM

I installed PS CS6 Extended, without any problem, on a MacPro using OS X 10.7.4, 16GB memory, Quad-Core Intel Xeon. Program works with Nikon D700

images. I tried to look at Nikon D800 images and PS CS6 gives me an error: "Photoshop cannot open this file ... ." I downloaded ACR 6.7, with out difficulty,

and the error continues. I even rebooted the computer, and the error continues.

Please advice.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 29, 2012 9:56 AM   in reply to Juan Z

You need ACR 7.1.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 5:54 AM   in reply to Mylenium

I have the same issue and have downloaded ACR 7.1. Still same problem. Lightroom 4 is the only program to recognise my D800 raw files

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 11:14 AM   in reply to Reggycide63

Others have reported in this forum that D800 files can be made Adobe-unreadable by downloading them with Nikon software, which then modifies the NEF files. The solution is to copy manually from memory card or use Adobe Photodownloader. ACR 6.7 or 7.1 should work though.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 2:09 AM   in reply to Juan Z

I've got the latest of all software and still no luck. I can't transfer without using Nikon software as the camera does not display in Finder on a mac. How come Lightroom 4 can use these files but other Adobe products cant'? Doesn't make sense.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 10:39 AM   in reply to Reggycide64

Have you considered getting a card reader?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 3:55 PM   in reply to JimHess

I was kinda hoping there'd be some programs that actually talk to each other...lol     I didn't want to buy a reader unless everyone was absolutely sure that's what the issue was and I'm still not convinced but I may just ahve to run with it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 11:14 PM   in reply to Mylenium

Ok, I've downloaded ACR 7.1, I've done the D800 firmware update, and Lightroom 4 is the only product other than Nikon that recognises these RAW files. I give up.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 11:17 PM   in reply to JimHess

Oh and I've even used the SD card directly in the computer and still can't be read

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 14, 2012 6:23 PM   in reply to Reggycide64

Find a way to post one of your files online and I and I'm sure others will be able to tell you definitively whether we can open it.

That should help you determine if it's a file problem or a Photoshop problem with your particular setup.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 9:51 AM   in reply to Reggycide64

A card reader might help, since your card is not mounting. Have you tried using Bridge to import your files? Are you sure you have installed ACR 7.1 correctly? Launch Photoshop. Go to Photoshop>About plug-in>Camera Raw ..what version do you see installed? We had reports that Nikon transfer is corrupting NEFs, so try to transfer photos directly into your system.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 1:12 AM   in reply to adriana ohlmeyer

I have used a card reader. Not sure why you say they'd be corrupted if LR4 can open them fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 8:43 AM   in reply to Reggycide64

If lightrooom can open the NEFs, the files are ok. We need to make sure ACR 7.1 was installed correctly. Did you follow my steps above to check what version of camera raw is actually installed?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2012 2:17 PM   in reply to adriana ohlmeyer

I am having the exact same issues as Reggy, my D800 raw files are not read in Adobe Bridge. Nothing suggested here has worked to resolve the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2012 3:32 PM   in reply to AdobeUser-1991

Since this thread has been marked 'CORRECT', I doubt that any Adobe Employees are going to come back here, so I am going to start a new thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2012 3:33 PM   in reply to AdobeUser-1991

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 9:57 AM   in reply to ssprengel

If you have Nikon D4/D800/D800E NEF files that cannot be read in the final release of ACR 7.1 or LR 4.1, please send them to me (madmanchan2000@yahoo.com, via YouSendIt or Dropbox, etc.).  Please make sure you are not using Nikon Transfer to copy/transfer the images (if you are, the resulting images will be unreadable).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2012 2:23 PM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Using CS5 & ACR 6.7, if the D800 NEF is brought in with Nikon Transfer, it can not be read - if manually moved from the card to the computer, ACR opens them just fine...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2012 5:35 PM   in reply to ShutterSet

It's a well known issue that Nikon Transfer messes up the files.  Just do a forum search—and stay the heck away from Nikon Transfer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2012 3:23 PM   in reply to station_two

Interestingly, the first shoot I did with the D800 at the beginning of June, worked (and still does) just fine and I used Nikon Transfer on it.   I am thinking a small update changed something in Transfer....

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points