Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

URGENT !!! Book disappeared. Need help.

Jul 7, 2012 4:34 AM

Tags: #book #disappeared

Hi,

I have been working on a book in Lightroom continuously for the past 7 days. When I say continuosly I really mean 24 / 7. I took my vacation time in order to work on this project.

As I was working on Lightroom today on this book it simply disappeared all of sudden. I can't see it. I do have a back up of my catalog from several days ago but reverting to this back-up means that I would have do redo approximately 80% of the book and will not have the time to do that.

What could have possibly happened ? How can a book I have been working on in the book module for the past 7+ days and that contains approximately 200 pages simply disappear ?

I want to believe that the book is still there and that there is a way to retrieve it while returning Lightroom to the same state it was in before the book disappeared.

How can I restore my book ? Do any of you have any idea as to what happened and how to fix it ? This is urgent and very important.

Thank you in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 7, 2012 4:57 AM   in reply to Joe_Caldwell

Sadly I suspect you have hit a bug which I have been tracking and trying to get fixed.

In the filmstrip, do the photos show the number of times each photo has been used? Do you see just 3 or 4 blank pages? If so, I'm not sure much can be done.

Are you sure you don't have a more recent backup? TimeMachine?

John

PS see http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/dzzps02bdogcs

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2012 6:27 AM   in reply to Joe_Caldwell

Sounds like the same one, Joe. I'm a bit short of time so if the following sounds a bit abrupt, I do sympathize.

I don't think there's anything you can do if you haven't a backup. I know LR pretty well and I've tried lots of things like exporting catalogues, duplicating the book, hitting Auto Layout again (do try this - after backing up your catalogue). Once a book has gone, I've not been able to repair it. The only good thing for me was that it only happened after I'd spent enough time working on the book to regard the lost one as a dry run for the real thing. Not much consolation!

I've been in direct contact with Adobe's LR team and the problem seems to be in the UI (hence the numbers in filmstrip), but it's not yet been possible to identify a clear pattern from the  examples. As this is a user-to-user forum, can you post some comments at the thread I mentioned earlier?

John

update - I just saw you beat me to it!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 1:03 AM   in reply to Joe_Caldwell

Sorry to hear about that, Joe. About the other modules, I would say that Book is an exception in being hard to trust, as well as fiddly. In the other output features , Print is pretty solid, Web nicely facilitates 3rd party solutions, Slideshow works but is showing its age with 3 or 4 obvious missing features. Develop is a strength of Lightroom and I think the only thing I'd steal from Aperture would be its retouching tool, while Library has significant advantages (transparency of file management) with some undercooked but working features (give me Aperture smart albums over smart collections).

Depending on how often you need books, a half-way house may work. Another Mac-only user does most of his work in Lightroom and then uses Aperture for books and slideshows, sending JPEGs. I use PC and Mac but send images to Aperture for standalone slideshows.

Also, specifically for books, the Lightroom-InDesign route can work well if you want a high level of control and want to learn InDesign. One great thing is that you can script InDesign without being a real programmer, so you can populate text boxes from IPTC data, for instance.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 1:55 PM   in reply to john beardsworth

Hi John,

Could you point me to instructions how this InDesign-route works?

Maybe even so generic, that I could use them for finding my way in Scribus as well?

Thanks,

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 3:16 PM   in reply to Cornelia-I

Hi Cornelia

I thought it was a route you knew - at least the use of publish services to create folders of TIF files for InDesign. Publish works better than Export because you can be more certain that subsequent adjustments to the images will be automatically marked for republishing, and secondly the published files will always be written to the same folders and with exactly the same filenames as the ones already in InDesign, where you just refresh the link. That part of it is generic, though as I don't know Scribus I can't say how transferrable it is.

After that I  used self-written Javascripts in InDesign to handle creating ID pages, adding the pictures, reading their IPTC info and adding titles, and to do repetitive stuff like thumbnail pages at the back. All of that can be done manually.... JS though is so much easier than Lua for people like me who aren't trained programmers. I know other people are doing the same thing, and only last week I was  contacted by someone who was doing something similar - my ListView > Excel > His Macros > InDesign datamerge.

Beyond that, I'm not sure much is written anywhere. I  just Googled for it  and  one of the first hits was... me when I was first bouncing  ideas off people in Adobe's InDesign forum.

John

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 10:05 PM   in reply to john beardsworth

Thanks, John!

I was asking about template modification for the book module - I hit that road of thinking immediately by the mentioning of InDesign...

Publish service is what I recommend and use myself for book creation in any other software.

For this I would not even try to reinvent the wheel in Scribus. I have no particular experience in Scribus yet, my only interest is not to reward Adobe with sales of another product after having made such a miserable job with LR's book module.

But it seems they consider it too miserable themselves so that they don't even publish instructions how to create other templates and plug them in ??

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 10:23 AM   in reply to Joe_Caldwell

Joe

You create a Publish service to build a folder of TIFs which you then use in the InDesign project:

• Select the Hard Drive option
    • Choose a folder such as "my ID book 30x30cm images" (you won't be able to change this folder so choose its location carefully)
    • 16 bit tifs
    • Set the size as required for the book (multiple sizes, multiple hard drive services)
    • Sharpening
    • Add pictures - you can subdivide them into sets which become separate subfolders
    • Now press the Publish button - this creates the output folder and creates the tifs
    • Place the pictures in InDesign - you could pull them from the output folder using Mini Bridge (inside InDesign)
    • Captions should be automatically added - see here
    • In InDesign pictures will be at actual size - if you resize them in InDesign some quality/sharpening impact?
    • If you need to edit a picture, back to LR, adjust, then to Publish and hit Republish, In InDesign, refresh the link in Links panel

John

SNAG_Program-0001.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 12:18 AM   in reply to Joe_Caldwell

Joe

If you export the pages, then you are exporting from Book and  save as JPEG. When you place these in ID, make sure they are at their exact size. So a 12x12 book in LR generates JPEGs that should be 12x12 in ID.

If you are exporting the pictures, I included those details before.

re 2, the exported JPEGs would cover the full page area in ID and won't be transparent, so all you need to do is ensure your page number layer, for example, is above it in the layers stack.

John

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 2:28 AM   in reply to Joe_Caldwell

Joe, notice I italicised pages and pictures. If you export the pages, JPEG is the only possibility. If you export the photos, you can use TIF.

To export the pages, select the pages in Book's grid view. Then in Book Settings, change the book type to JPEG.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2012 12:42 PM   in reply to Joe_Caldwell

Sharad, the product manager for Lightroom, has just posted a new blog entry on this book issue. It includes specifics on what can cause it and how to avoid it. The team has tracked down a reproducible set of steps that can be used to nail down a fix in a future update to Lightroom 4.

Help with Disappearing Books in Lightroom 4

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points