Skip navigation
andrewzors
Currently Being Moderated

GTX 285 in Mac Pro 5,1--Screen goes haywire on Premiere launch

Jul 7, 2012 6:52 PM

Hi,

I just installed a second-hand EVGA GeForce GTX 285 Mac Edition in my brand new 5,1 6-Core Mac Pro. I start it up and the grey screen instantly shows up via DVI on my monitor. Once my system is booted, everything seems fine, and the graphics card runs quietly.

I assume what the problem is stems from using a graphics heavy application. Mail, iTunes, Chrome, iPhoto, After Effects, Photoshop etc seem to work fine. The last few crashes have come from opening Adobe Premiere Pro (which, ironically is the program I got the card for). I have used this Mac with its standard 5770 Radeon card and everything has worked fine. At its worst, it causes the screen to turn into pixelated garbage (picture attached), but sometimes it just causes the display to freeze with a few glitches, and becomes unresponsive, necessitating a hard reboot. Also attached is the system profiler info on the graphics card.

I would appreciate any leads as to whether I have a bad card, bad drivers (should be the most recent!), or if there is anything I can do to remedy this.

Thanks for your time and let me know if you need any more info!

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=347018&d=1341700663http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=347019&stc=1&d=1341700669

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 7, 2012 7:00 PM   in reply to andrewzors

Sounds to me like someone sold you a PC version card.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2012 10:00 PM   in reply to andrewzors

>bad drivers (should be the most recent!)

Well... what is the driver version number, and have you checked at the nVidia site?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 6:28 AM   in reply to andrewzors

John may have a better answer than mine.  Mine was based on the fact that if you boot up with a PC card you do not get the normal Mac UEFI boot up screen. 

What version of OSX do you have?

if it is OSX 10.7.4

Version      270.00

Release Date      Thu May 10, 2012

Operating System      Mac OSX Lion 10.7.4

Language      English (US)

File Size      31.01 MB

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)