I imported some photos into my catalog, thinking I was assigning them to a subfolder of an existing folder. Although physically, on disk, they ended up where I wanted them to go, as far as the ligcal catalog was concerned, they were in a folder at the top level of my catalog structure, not in a subfolder.
I tried dragging the top-level folder into the folder in which I wanted it to be a subfolder. I got a message that the subfolder already existed.
I looked on the disk. Lo and behold, the folder did indeed exist, right where it was supposed to be, and the photos were in it. The catalog as displayed to me in the Library module didn't seem to know that, though.
I removed the folder (leaving the files on my disk drive). I tried adding them as a subfolder. Same problem.
I copied the files to another drive, deleted the original files from the master drive where I keep my physical image files, and tried importing again, this time using the Move command. Same problem.
No matter what I do, I can't get these files (which btw I converted to DNG on the first import) to appear as a logical subfolder in the proper location in my catalog, even though every time I import them they appear in the proper physical location on my drive.
Oooooooooh, no, that's not meant to happen! Ok. Couple of options. You can either drop the catalog on my server (www.vbftp.net, username webupload, password 123) and I'll take a squizzy, or we can carry on trying to troubleshoot (probably easiest fix is to intentionally lose the folders and then find them again), or we can take the last resort and drop it to Dan Tull who is a catalog magician.
Victoria, I came across that message when trouble-shooting a similar problem a few weeks back....turned out to be the old "updated/reinstalled the OS, but didn't get the user name quite the same, i.e. a capitalisation issue" problem. Don't know if that's the case here, but would explain why some of the folders didn't go where expected within the Lightroom Folders Panel, but DID go where expected when viewed through the OS.
Thanks, got it. I'll drop you a download link back. Just check that everything looks right before switching to this catalog - but all I've essentially done is linked the problem folders to empty folders on my computer, and then deleted those folders so I could link them to empty folders on a temporary drive called Pictures, to match yours.
Exactly the same error message sakols? I'm happy to take a quick look. I've taken my FTP server down now, but you can send via www.wetransfer.com to uploads AT lightroomqueen DOT com. I don't go digging into the SQL but a lot of these things can be fixed within the UI.
Not the same error, but I have the problem that I changed my OS X user account name to Dan from dan and now when I import into one of my folders, LR creates a duplicate in its folder list. This is from the capitalization problem folks have referred to. So lightroom is looking or the Pictures folder in "dan", and I think the problem with be solved if I can re reference it to "Dan". In the LR UI, it won't let me rename the dan to Dan.
I found the solution to the problem. Since I changed my OS X user name from dan to Dan, LR was looking for an import folder "dan", but since it didn't exist, would create one (in the lightroom folder list only). I selected teh contents of the phantom folder, and updated the folder location in LR. I then deleted the phantom folder, and now all is well.