Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

after creating shotlist, how do i reformat to traditional screenplay layout after changes?

Apr 28, 2012 8:08 PM

Tags: #format #list #reformat #shot #traditional #shotlist #screenplay

is it possible to reformat a shooting script into more of a standard script layout, because...

if you rewrite dialogue, action, any part of the actual screenplay, and then want to print it out in traditional screenplay layout, how?  my 106 page script became 180 pages when i started shooting script, and has grown from there.  How do I get it back to it's traditional format - no comments, shots, etc.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 29, 2012 4:35 AM   in reply to rtistikdude_12

You can reformat your script by going to Edit->Template... and then selecting the template you want your script to convert into. For traditional screenplay, choose 'Film Template'. You will find options in View menu to change view settings for camera shots and comments.

Also, in future you may want to take backup/save a version of your script before doing a major change to it. For saving version go to File->Save as and choose option 'Version'.You can access the older versions saved for your document via the View menu in Authoring view. There's an option "History...", clicking on it opens a "history panel" below where you can see all the versions of your document saved till date. Double click to access any version and if you wish to make any of the versions your active version, you may click on the "Make Latest" tab on the right upper corner of the document in editor.To know more about it you may have a look at the help document: "Adobe Story Help (F1)" in "Help" menu options that is available in the topmost bar.

Please do write to let us know if that worked for you. Also, please share your valuable feedback.

Thanks

Mayank

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 10:35 PM   in reply to rtistikdude_12

As of right now, you have to create a separate shooting script since Story needs to create space for the shots on the left hand side of the page. We do not have a way to keep the original script and the shooting script in sync unless you use a TV script which has more space on the left for camera shots.

--Anubhav

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 2:50 PM   in reply to rtistikdude_12

Wow...

I have to COMPLETELY agree with rtishidude_12. Someone at Adobe really doesn't get it.

No one seems to get the idea of a shotlist. A shotlist needs to stay in sync with the script at all times.

It's beyond my comprehension that no modern software has any kind of usable shotlist feature.

Ideally, a script should have shots attached to each scene. Then a shotlist is simply another view of the script. The same thing for director's (character, production, camera, etc) notes. All should be elements attached to the script on a scene by scene basis, then viewed any way a user needs.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 8:49 PM   in reply to rtistikdude_12

Let me add my vote to get story updated to keep the shot list and script in sync.  I have never shot a script without changing dialog the day before shooting...sometimes even the day of.  I do hope adobe is taking note of these discussions in this forum.  Otheriwise, I will have to begin teaching another script writing tool to my classes.  Up to this point I have used Celtx, a open source free software that is quiet intuitive, it just doesn't have all the bells and whistles Adobe Story has...YET.  Please, Adobe, make an effort to give screenwriters what they need.  We can't use a TV script on a film set.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 11:31 PM   in reply to ronnhague

We understand the frustration and I think I have a workaround for the problem. You need to use a different template (attached) so that there is enough space to fit the camera lines.

• Save the shootingscripttemplate.xml file on your local drive
    • Open a film script
    • Click anywhere you want to add a shot
    • Go to the production menu and select Production ->Camera shot
    • In the confirmation dialog box, coose the "Continue without saving a version" option. Click Continue
    • Enter information about the shot and click ok 
    • Notice that the script format has changed and your shot appears on the left. (see page 1 of the PDF)
    • From the View menu deselect the camera shots option (Page 2)

• Now go to the Edit Menu and Select Edit->Template
    • Choose "Film" template from the drop down to revert back to the original formatting of the script with the camera shots in it but not visible. (page 3)

• Your script should now look like page 4 of the PDF

• Choose Edit->Template again and now import the attached shooting script template so that you can view the same script as a shooting script.

• The imported template will autoload values into the template.
    • From the View menu and select the camera shots option. Your script should now look like page 6 of the PDF
    • Switch between templates when you want to work on camera shots and when you dont.

You can add the shooting script template to your favorite templates by:

1. Go to the projects view
    2. Clicking on the new button on the top right hand side of the screen
    3. Select a film script from the drop down.
    4. Click on the change template button, Page 8 of the PDF

1. Now click on import and select the shooting script template from your drive. Click ok and then ok again
    2. Click cancel
    3. The shootingscripttemplate is now available in the drop down when you go to Edit->Template from the authoring view of a script.

Hope this helps.

--Anubhav

Anubhav Rohatgi

Sr. Product Manager

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2013 1:49 AM   in reply to AnubhavRohatgi

Wow. I guess your workaround is a solution, in theory, but I very much hope a more seamless, streamlined version of allowing a shot list into a standard Film Template for a script is in the works.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points