Skip navigation
silviotiago
Currently Being Moderated

Horizontal Line Tutorial Request

Jul 8, 2012 4:03 PM

Hello!

My sister is going to marry and I have a couple of videos that I will show in her wedding, that in my plan, will end with a video of me talking using this format:

I would like to know how to make that effect, drawing that line at same time my finger moves ( I mean, not only to appear but moving till end of screen).

I found one guy in youtube that told me how to do it, but I don't understand, he have a video like that. he told me:

'Draw a rectangle with more length than height, then apply it one effect that allows you to put 4 colors in the rectangle (I don't remember the name, but its 'four' something) Then duplicate the layer and in the second apply a little bit of Blur and its done"

Can anyone make me a Dumb Tutorial?!

Thank you!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 8, 2012 6:57 PM   in reply to silviotiago

You can create the line using a shape layer with an animated gradient fill, or a shape layer with fractal noise applied and colorama, or . .. or. .

The other technique, the appearing text and images, is nothing more than animating position and masking. A track matte would be easiest.

The rest is just keyframing. There's nothing complex enough in the sample video to require tracking. Then a little glow or some duplicated layers with blur and blend mode combinations.

If you have no clue what to do with these suggestions try starting at the basics to learn keyframing and masking. Figure how those basic elements works, report back, and I'll point you to a fractal noise / colorama example.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 5:52 PM   in reply to silviotiago

Here's a page full of links to After Effects resources, such as tutorials: http://bit.ly/c06llu

Otherwise I would just follow Rick's advice and animate a mask over a shape layer with colorama, an animated gradient and/or fractal noise on it.  It should be really simple.  You're not trying to do something more complicated like make the light draw text along with your finger are you?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 12:15 PM   in reply to silviotiago

If you just want to draw the line use the shape tool and fill it with a gradient, then apply glow.

A careful look at this screenshot tells you all you need to know. Layer 2 is a simple shape path drawn with the pen tool and colored with a gradient. The gradient editor is visible. You can animate the colors. To layer 2 I applied glow and a directional blur.

Layer 1 is a copy of layer 2 with slightly different glow settings and a blur of only .5. The blend mode for both layers is set to ADD and they are laid over a screenshot of your sample video.

Should take you about 5 minutes.

Screen Shot 2012-07-10 at 12.11.38 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 6:06 PM   in reply to silviotiago

Rick's method is fantastic, but I've had trouble with the glow effect due to the way it treats different colors.  If you notice it seems to make some of the colors glow more than others.  You can play with the settings, but I've always found it to be easier to do this kind of thing with feathered masks.  That way your masks are already there and you can do all your animation on one of the shape layers and then just copy the keyframes over to the duplicate when you're done.  Doing it this way might look a little more similar to your example, but of course it all depends on what kind of look you're going for.  Anyway, here's a little tutorial for the way I would make this.

Rainbow_Line_Tut.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 10:59 PM   in reply to BenjaminMarkus

but I've had trouble with the glow effect due to the way it treats different colors.

Simply duplicate the layer and blur it, then use Add or Screen blending mode.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 9:20 AM   in reply to silviotiago

Filming in a dark studio with a black backdrop is by far the best. Greenscreen (chroma key) is only a good idea if you have a professional grade camera and can shoot at a high data rate. Greenscreen is a make do solution with any other kind of gear.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 11:03 AM   in reply to silviotiago

If you can afford it, you want a black fabric called Duvetyne.  We use it all the time when we shoot stop-motion in a studio setting and we don't want any spill to show up on a black background once it's been lit.  Here's two websites that sell it, but I'm sure you can search around for better prices.

http://www.onlineeei.com/fabrics.cfm?gclid=CK-8hcjcnrECFSIHRQodkG6cgA

http://www.filmtools.com/duvetyne.html

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points