Skip navigation
jerrydf
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 doesn't recognize the graphic processor of my NVidia G610 board.

Jul 8, 2012 7:12 PM

PSCS6 shows the Clone tool transfer images so it is using Open Gl from my NVidia g610 graphics card but in "preferences" it shows no detected graphics processor in the performance window and therefore I cannot access the Hue wheel. How can I correct this?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 8, 2012 7:45 PM   in reply to jerrydf

jerrydf wrote:

PSCS6 shows the Clone tool transfer images so it is using Open Gl from my NVidia g610 graphics card…

I have no clue what you mean by that.

Details of your machine, platform and exact OS and a screen shot or two would help us understand your issue.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 8, 2012 8:03 PM   in reply to jerrydf

Actually, there are ways the Clone Tool can show the overlay without OpenGL.

It sounds like your real problem is that your video card isn't being recognized as being able to provide GPU acceleration.

Assuming you have a PC, not Mac, have you been to www.nvidia.com to see whether there is a display driver update that might correct the problem for you?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,991 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jul 8, 2012 8:55 PM   in reply to jerrydf

What OS are you using for example Adobe CS6 does not support GPU on Windows XP systems.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 8:58 PM   in reply to jerrydf

Reasons why the GPU might be disabled:  if you run an unsupported OS (XP), if you run a driver that says it can't support the GPU features needed, if your GPU can't really support the GPU features needed, if your driver returns errors when it shouldn't, or if your driver crashes in a call for the GPU.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,991 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jul 8, 2012 9:22 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris Cox wrote:

Reasons why the GPU might be disabled:  if you run an unsupported OS (XP), if you run a driver that says it can't support the GPU features needed, if your GPU can't really support the GPU features needed, if your driver returns errors when it shouldn't, or if your driver crashes in a call for the GPU.

Chris you work for Adobe you should know CS6 supports XP however GPU processors are not support on XP systems some GPU features are supported  with non GPU code. http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/tech-specs.html

System requirements

Windows

• Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor
    • Microsoft® Windows® XP* with Service Pack 3 or Windows 7 with Service Pack 1
    • 1GB of RAM
    • 1GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash storage devices)
    • 1024x768 display (1280x800 recommended) with 16-bit color and 256MB (512MB recommended) of VRAM
    • OpenGL 2.0–capable system
    • DVD-ROM drive
    • This software will not operate without activation. Broadband Internet connection and registration are required for software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to online services.† Phone activation is not available.

* Some GPU-enabled features are not supported on Windows XP.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 9:39 PM   in reply to JJMack

JJMack,

Chris Cox doesn't just "work for Adobe."  He's been writing Photoshop code for some 16 years.  I don't quite get the gist of your post.

Are you disputing his statements or are you pointing to a different interpretation of your own? 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 9:41 PM   in reply to jerrydf

jerrydf wrote:

PSC5 help file explains…

Ah, thanks for clarifying.  I skipped CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 9:47 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Actually on my windows xp system with cs6 extended, the gpu (Use Graphics Processor under performance is not greyed out) is supported, just not some of the features such as 3d and lighting effects, but things such as scrubby zoom, brush previews and rotate view work with the use graphics processor checked.

I guess xp is just able to use some basic features that require a gpu?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 10:08 PM   in reply to jerrydf

What nvida graphics card do you have?

Did you update from the nvida web site and not through windows?

Do you have cs6 extended or standard?

I didn't see a G610 in their listings.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 10:28 PM   in reply to jerrydf

What i meant about through windows, if for example you went to the device manager and clicked the update drivers button, but it sounds like you got the driver directly from nvidia.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 12:21 AM   in reply to jerrydf

Sorry for asking a basic question, but did you restart windows after installing the driver?

You might also try resetting the photoshop preferences:

Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings.

If still no joy, could you go to the help menu in photoshop cs6 and post the system info. Just be sure to delete the serial number listed in the system info before posting.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,991 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jul 9, 2012 2:01 AM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

JJMack,

Chris Cox doesn't just "work for Adobe."  He's been writing Photoshop code for some 16 years.  I don't quite get the gist of your post.

Are you disputing his statements or are you pointing to a different interpretation of your own? 

I'm just a little annoyed with Adobe and CS6 and the conflicting statements and noncommittal statements and lack of testing that being done by them. Check out the links: http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-performance-photoshop-cs4 -cs5.html and http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/64-bit-os-benefits-limitations.htm l

With all the money Adobe make with Photoshop one would think they would be committed to making it a good product and test it rather then writeing in excape clauses and pointing fingers at others.

Photoshop versionOS versionMaximum amount of RAM that Photoshop can use
    CS4, CS5, 32 bitWindows 32 bit1.7 GB
    CS4, CS5, 32 bitWindows 64 bit3.2 GB
    CS4, CS5, 64 bit*Windows 64 bitAs much RAM as you can fit in your computer
    CS4, 32 bitMac OS3 GB
    CS5, 32 bitMac OS2.1 GB
    CS5, 64 bitMac OSAs much RAM as you can fit in your computer

* 64-bit Photoshop is not officially supported on 64-bit Windows XP, but it should run.#

Mac OS

Photoshop CS4 installs a 32-bit version only.

Windows

Note: 64-bit Photoshop CS4 was not thoroughly tested under Windows XP64. Although it is not supported, it should run.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Jul 9, 2012 5:07 AM   in reply to jerrydf

Hello, it seems that the 600 series has not yet been tested by Adobe: http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cs6-gpu-faq.html#tested_ cards that said, the 610 appears to be a rebranded 520, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_600_Series#Products

To know what version of the drivers are installed, check in Help>System info...

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 9, 2012 5:58 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

PECourtejoie wrote:

[in Photoshop choose] Help>System info...

YES!  Please capture that information in its entirety and paste it into a reply here.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 9, 2012 8:29 AM   in reply to jerrydf

Just looking over the list of Installed Components you listed, I'm not sure but I think I see some software from an older version of Photoshop mixed in with the parts from CS6.  Have you copied files from a prior version of Photoshop into the Photoshop CS6 installation area? It's possible the things I see are just the files expected in an XP installation - I don't have Ps CS6 on XP.

--

The second thing I see is that Photoshop doesn't recognize your video card at all.  I'm not sure whether this is normal for an XP system.  I do know that a number of GPU features are not available on XP systems, including OpenGL operations.  That's spelled out here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/tech-specs.html

Note the specific wording on that page:  * Some GPU-enabled features are not supported on Windows XP.

What display driver do you have installed on your system, specifically?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 9, 2012 8:44 AM   in reply to jerrydf

jerrydf wrote:

Yes, I copied over my external plugins from CS5 into CS6. First I saved a

copy of the CS6 plugin folder and then copied it back over the transferred

CS5 plugins so I would not end up overwriting the CS6 plugins with older

CS5 duplicate plugins.

You absolutely cannot do it that way.  It WILL cause problems.

Clear all files out of your Photoshop CS6 Plug-ins subfolder, as it is normally empty.  See if that helps with the problems.

Then, if you have plug-ins you can't install any other way, you need to isolate just those specific 3rd party plug-in files and copy them over.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 9, 2012 8:48 AM   in reply to jerrydf

jerrydf wrote:

I have stated I am running the latest NVidia drivers for my board. I do not

understand your question asking what display drivers specifically I am

running. How can I ascertain that for you in more detail?

Jerry

There are multiple places you can get display drivers, and the "latest" from each isn't necessarily the same.  I don't even recognize what a "G610" is - is it old or new?

Beyond the problems with mixing up plug-ins, you appear to be having problems with your display driver.  Hence my question probing deeper.  Look in the Add/Remove Programs control panel dialog, that should give you an idea of what version you have.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 9, 2012 9:15 AM   in reply to jerrydf

You're making the assumption that just because you got away with copying the Adobe-supplied software from older into newer versions in the past that the rules should be the same today.  They're not.  Hint:  You're not the first person to report problems here on the forum after having copied files like that.

But hey, if you're not convinced you should wait until one of the Adobe people chimes in here to confirm what I'm saying, if they haven't already done so while I'm writing this.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 9, 2012 9:47 AM   in reply to jerrydf

Be as stubborn as you want.  Just remember, you're the one with the problems, not the folks trying to help you.

Ever hear the phrase "Past performance is no guarantee of future results"?

Perhaps if I explain one of the reasons why the rules are now different you'll begin to see the errors in your logic.

Note that the Plug-ins folder is initially empty in a Photoshop CS6 installation.  This is new, it always used to house the Photoshop plug-ins supplied by Adobe.  That the list of these didn't change much between versions saved your behind, because whenever you'd overwrite them with the new plug-ins that you squirreled away, most of them were overwritten.  Now the Adobe-supplied plug-ins are elsewhere (the Required folder), and Photoshop is enumerating both sets.  Are you starting to see why what you've done is utterly wrong?

EVEN IF your having mixed several versions of Photoshop together, as confirmed by your System Info above, isn't the root cause of your GPU problems, you STILL need to fix what you did wrong.  I can't be any more clear than that.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 9, 2012 10:19 AM   in reply to jerrydf

Jerry, please go read my prior response again carefully, to see why your statement ''Then I install the new saved folder overwriting the current one and the version is now back to version B as desired by Adobe.'' is wrong.

But beyond that, what you have been doing has been wrong for all prior versions as well.  Why?  Because the list of plug-ins differs from version to version.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 9, 2012 10:42 AM   in reply to jerrydf

You seem computer-savvy enough to squirrel away files in another place.  Any reason not to actually TRY what I suggested in post 27?  Just remove the entire contents of the Plug-ins folder, then start Photoshop.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Jul 9, 2012 11:17 AM   in reply to jerrydf

Jerry, with regards to plug-ins, you should reinstall them, to make sure that they are installed with their required support files.

See: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4221311#4221311

The FAQ recommends to not drag them over, and I would never, ever drag the adobe plug-ins from one version to the other, even if you overwrite them with the new ones(some might not have a corresponding new version, and be incompatible, or cause problems) when it might be ok to do with compatible third party ones.

I'd like to hear from other XP users, to hear if their videocard is not listed (maybe isn't it possible to "sniff" it, hence reducing the possible functions in Photoshop.)

Any reason why you stick with XP 32 bits? 7 64bits would "unlock" many functions, and let you use all your RAM, or more if you can install it.

Also, I see you use a non-standard install path. You have many mixed parameters that complicate the troubleshooting.

(brand new videocard and software on a 10 years old OS, non-standard install path, and possible incompatible plug-ins.)

I'd second Noel's plea to help us help you by removing one of the parameters of this difficult equation.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points